HELLO EVERYONE (the NEW guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELLO EVERYONE (the NEW guy)

Hello everyone ive checked out this forum and everyone seems to have really good insight. So I have a question for the crew?

ive been looking at the ascend FS128T and the FS12T in your opinion which do you think would fair the best? Im planning on adding a FF / GPS ROD HOLDERS maybe even a trolling motor (otional ).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chef! Welcome to the board. I know nothing about the kayak you mentioned but wanted to say hi. I enjoy cooking as well! And I love catching fish to cook. Hope to see you out there in your new kayak.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Welcome and yes this forum is very informative. Do a search on Ascend and trolling motor I remember this topic was brought up and the Ascend may not handle the weight. What type of fishing and waters will you be going to? That will also determine the type of kayak. I will say this I started out with a Perception Angler 12' kayak and bought a Hobie Outback a few months later. Have not touched and even sold the perception since. It suits my style of fishing. Best of luck and hope to see you out on the water.

Comment

Welcome to Snaggedline!

I have the FS12T myself. I only chose the Ascend because of BPS gift cards but I am satisfied enough until I can convince the wife to let me get a Hobie. I didnt even consider the FS128T because it is over 100lbs and you do not get a whole lot more than the FS12T for the extra money and weight. I have heard people refer to the 12 as a barge, so I cant imagine what they call the 128. Either way though, the 12 doesnt feel bad at all to me. It seems to paddle just fine.

My mother decided she wants to get my father a yak so he can fish with me. My plan is to get him the Pompano 120 from West Marine. It runs the same price as the FS12T but I have heard it sometimes goes on sale for $400. I just wish it came with a seat, but it looks like there is a version for $50 more that comes with a seat and a couple extra little things. Either way, from what I have heard it is a significantly better quality yak. It also helps that it is 20lbs lighter than my FS12T, which will helpfully make it more manageable for him.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
          Welcome and yes this forum is very informative. Do a search on Ascend and trolling motor I remember this topic was brought up and the Ascend may not handle the weight. What type of fishing and waters will you be going to? That will also determine the type of kayak. I will say this I started out with a Perception Angler 12' kayak and bought a Hobie Outback a few months later. Have not touched and even sold the perception since. It suits my style of fishing. Best of luck and hope to see you out on the water.
          The weight problem with the FS12T I think is because of how low the top deck sits. At 220lbs plus my gear, the water line sits very close to the top of the scuppers.
          Mike

Comment

The bass pro kayaks are OK, but for a couple hundred $ more you could probably find a much better kayak used. Check out the wilderness systems kayaks if you're looking for a reasonably priced but good quality kayak.

All the being said, I started out fishing out of an ASCEND FS10 for a season and upgraded to a Hobie next season and my mind was blown...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I've actually had a redfish 12 that i found online for about 700 bucks fully rigged and ready to go in 2013 i believe it was. It was a great yak needless to say i went out on it alone one day and when i finally made it back to shore (it went right on craigslist). i was ready for a hobie i just couldn't justify spending that much $$$$. (married then). At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me as long as i'm on the water dry and have some nice fish in tow.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Try out as many as you can before the purchase, you can usually find some deals on last years model. Good luck.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Welcome!

Although you said it doesn't matter to you as long as your on the water, dry and have some nice fish in tow; I think being on the water with something that handles well to the style you fish, will have a big effect on how long or how often you will be on the water.

Definitely try out a few before you buy if you can.
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

So, what was the problem with the Redfish12?
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I was originally going to get a hobie and ended up getting a Bayliner Trophy

Comment

Welcome to Snaggedline. As previously mentioned, try out various kayaks before you buy. You will see differences in all the kayaks. Keep in mind the type of water you will be using it in mainly.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF-FISHER View Post
                          I was originally going to get a hobie and ended up getting a Bayliner Trophy
                          Oh you will get a few hobie's if you trade that Bayliner in

Comment

I bluntly say after seeing the following YouTube video. It's built for ponds and lazy Rivers. Not for current, not for waves, and not for long distance.
                            I muted the speaker, so that I could only see the kayak and the kayaker. I didn't want hear other audio for fair evaluation:

Joe
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM.
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                              I bluntly say after seeing the following YouTube video. It's built for ponds and lazy Rivers. Not for current, not for waves, and not for long distance.
                              I muted the speaker, so that I could only see the kayak and the kayaker. I didn't want hear other audio for fair evaluation:

Joe
                              I'm going to go with Joe on this one. I wouldn't want to be on the Bay in rough conditions in that.
                              Jim

Hobie Outback
                              TKAA member
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X