New Minnow Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Minnow Trap

With Spring upon us (hope ... hope ...) I decided I'd better finish my new minnow trap. Hope to get some bait for perch and pickerel. See pictures - made with 1/4" hardware cloth and 4" zip ties.

It's a cloverleaf style trap so it should work regardless of tide or current direction - any place the minnows contact the trap and they follow the bait scent it will lead them to an entrance. It lays flat on the bottom when in use like picture 2.

Only things left to do are adding bungees for the bait door and trap door and tying a rope to it.

It's 18" x 18" x 7". Minnows gain access through 1/2" x 7" slits between each cloverleaf.

Minnow Trap 1.jpgMinnow Trap 2.jpg

Looks good. Let us know how it works.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Do you need a door for each leaf to get minnows out?

Looks good!
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Don't forget to paint it up too so it blends in and doesn't get stolen.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Do you need a door for each leaf to get minnows out?

Looks good!
          No - the center of the trap is open so they can slide to one corner and come out through one door.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
            Don't forget to paint it up too so it blends in and doesn't get stolen.
            Do you know where I live?

Comment

No. And I'm not looking to steal your trap either. I'm just saying I know of minnows traps that have disappeared off the side of the road before - mine included. You have to prepare against Johnny Sneakums.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                No. And I'm not looking to steal your trap either. I'm just saying I know of minnows traps that have disappeared off the side of the road before - mine included. You have to prepare against Johnny Sneakums.
                Appreciate the heads up. My excuse is that I'm not planning on setting the trap where there is public access - but really I just HATE painting.

Comment

I have used this trap a number of times now and it works great. The metal has dulled with use and it blends right in.

I bait it with dog food kibbles and it catches everything from grass shrimp to minnows - whatever bait happens to be around.

Also caught a few snakes (very low tide) and even some small pumpkinseed sunfish (which I let go).

Well worth the expense and effort.

Comment

looks like a lot of work went into it!
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
                    X