cold water gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold water gear

What do the bigger kayakers wear for colder? I've been looking at kokatat paddle pants with the built in socs, or the kokatat gor-tex bibs. I'm a 44" waist.

I bought XXL tall breathable waders from BPS. They are baggy, but roomy and do not bind in the crotch area like my previous waders. There is plenty of space for layers underneath.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      I bought XXL tall breathable waders from BPS. They are baggy, but roomy and do not bind in the crotch area like my previous waders. There is plenty of space for layers underneath.
      ok cool, what about water leakage? Have you practiced self rescue in them?

Comment

Originally posted by EastSiideRyda View Post
        ok cool, what about water leakage? Have you practiced self rescue in them?
        No -- I have not done self rescue practice.

I use a wader belt around the waist of the waders. My semi-dry top that goes over the waders has a velcro closure at the waist, wrists, and neck too. My goal is not to stay totally dry -- rather it is to extend the number of minutes that I could be in the water before I needed to get out. In my style of fishing during winter weather, I rarely am more than 100 yds from shore or from a depth where I can stand. I feel that this combination of gear and practices provides a sufficient margin of safety for me. Each person can choose their own safety threshold (including staying off the water completely when it is cold).
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          No -- I have not done self rescue practice.

I use a wader belt around the waist of the waders. My semi-dry top that goes over the waders has a velcro closure at the waist, wrists, and neck too. My goal is not to stay totally dry -- rather it is to extend the number of minutes that I could be in the water before I needed to get out. In my style of fishing during winter weather, I rarely am more than 100 yds from shore or from a depth where I can stand. I feel that this combination of gear and practices provides a sufficient margin of safety for me. Each person can choose their own safety threshold (including staying off the water completely when it is cold).
          I totally agree with choosing your own safety, I just wanted the best combination I could afford for staying safe. I also have a semi dry top, just need the bottoms, and can't afford the kokatat bibs with socks. But I'm wondering if neoprene boots and waterproof socks might do the trick

Comment

I wore waders like John for a few years until this past season when I got myself a pair of the Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest pants with socks(They really need a much shorter name). Man they are like night and day compared to the waders in terms of breathability, and maneuverability. I was shocked at how thin the pants are, I move so much easier in them and I love the stocking foot because it's really thin as well versus my old neoprene stocking foot waders. So I can still stick my feet in my regularly sized footwear. For the longest I said I wouldn't purchase a pair of drypants, I'd stick with the waders, but after I got a pair I was mad I didn't do it sooner.

I'm a big guy too(6', with a 44/46 waist), now I will say the waders gave me more room. As John stated, I could layer up as much as I wanted to under there with no issue. With the Dry pants, they are a much more fitted cut. But I still feel comfortable rocking a pair of sweat pants, a base layer, and wool socks and or the times I fish, that's more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
              I wore waders like John for a few years until this past season when I got myself a pair of the Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest pants with socks(They really need a much shorter name). Man they are like night and day compared to the waders in terms of breathability, and maneuverability. I was shocked at how thin the pants are, I move so much easier in them and I love the stocking foot because it's really thin as well versus my old neoprene stocking foot waders. So I can still stick my feet in my regularly sized footwear. For the longest I said I wouldn't purchase a pair of drypants, I'd stick with the waders, but after I got a pair I was mad I didn't do it sooner.

I'm a big guy too(6', with a 44/46 waist), now I will say the waders gave me more room. As John stated, I could layer up as much as I wanted to under there with no issue. With the Dry pants, they are a much more fitted cut. But I still feel comfortable rocking a pair of sweat pants, a base layer, and wool socks and or the times I fish, that's more than enough.
              That's perfect. Outdoorplay.com has them on sale, I just wanted more clarification about fit/finish/feel from someone who has them. Much more affordable than the other options. I'll get a nice base layer under them. I know that I'll wait for the weather to warm up, but unless its dead August, the water will still feel cold for me in the spring

Comment

I am well over 200 lbs, but only 36 waist. I have had those tempest pants for a while and like them. Xl will only be good up to 38 or so. Xxl will probably work.

Comment

Well since you're in no huge rush, I know my wife got mine last year from Eastern Mountain Sports through their online store for $144 from a 20% off coupon she found online and it was free shipping. So deals can definitely be had on them. They are also a pretty popular paddling pant as well, so you might be able to find a shop locally that sells them so you can at least try them on. But I think you'll be happy with them. A lot of guys here on the board rock them, that's what made me jealous and had to pick myself up a pair! LOL

Comment

Ha not much of a sale---$1 off. But they sure look nice

I use breathable waders too and they work for me with a columbia splash jacket semi dry top
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                    X