Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32nd Annual Championship on the Chesapeake - Kayak Division (CPR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32nd Annual Championship on the Chesapeake - Kayak Division (CPR)

SP15 Art_with text.jpg

Kayak Division (Catch Photo Release)
    $65 Entry Fee - MSSA Members
    $100 Entry Fee - Non-MEmbers

Main Tournament (aggregate of 2 longest fish)
    1st Place - $2,000 Cash Prize
    2nd Place - $1,000 Cash Prize
    3rd Place - $500 Cash Prize

$25 Tournament Within a Tournament (TWT)
    Single Longest Fish

For more information and to register visit www.mssa.net/thechampionship or call 410-255-5535

2014 Winner - Shane Majewski
    1794774_792426030782296_2513093957401045973_n.jpg
    Attached Files

This is a really good opportunity for everyone to get out for some big stripers!!

Also, MSSA is offering a $500 cash bonus for the member who finishes the highest in the Angler of the Year competition for MAKBF... another perfect reason to become a member!!

Comment

At least the Kayak Division is catch photo release.
      In my opinion it's tough to support catch and kill tournaments for spawning or sexually mature fish, which this one seems to be primarily. The rules say fish are rated by weight only but they must be at least 36", which in my opinion no one should be keeping anyway. A few hundred boats are going out to take the largest reproducing fish out of our bay. Man, I hate negativity on forums but I had to go and do it because I love these fish too much. Am I wrong?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        At least the Kayak Division is catch photo release.
        In my opinion it's tough to support catch and kill tournaments for spawning or sexually mature fish, which this one seems to be primarily. The rules say fish are rated by weight only but they must be at least 36", which in my opinion no one should be keeping anyway. A few hundred boats are going out to take the largest reproducing fish out of our bay. Man, I hate negativity on forums but I had to go and do it because I love these fish too much. Am I wrong?
        That's exactly why more kayak anglers with that mindset need to get involved to help promote the cpr tournament success.

Comment

My thoughts exactly Alan... No reason boats can't be CPR too other than putting on a show...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Change is progressive..... this is their 32nd annual tournament. That's why MSSA has added the Kayak Division. They are very interested in trying to get to the point were the whole event can be done by CPR. Right now they are providing the opportunity for us conservative based kayak anglers to prove that our side of the tournament can be successful via this format.

We need to lead by example and not just talk about how we think all fish should be released. We need to use our voice through participation and continued involvement to make a change.

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback. We are always trying to use best practices when putting on tournaments. In fact we have created many of the practices used by tournaments around the mid-atlantic. We don't see one type of legal recreational fishing as better than another. Recreational anglers have a tremendous impact on our economy and society as a whole. The MSSA is here to protect and enhance sportfishing. Inherent in that is conservation. Balancing access, opportunity, conservation, and economics is complicated.
              I hope we can have this discussion on another thread or forum and leave this thread to our tournament.
              Thank you and I hope we all get some good weather soon, so we can all be out on the water!
              V/R
              Dave Smith
              Executive DIrector
              MSSA

Comment

Working...
              X