Wacky rig in saltwater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacky rig in saltwater?

The first time I fished a wacky rig I thought the guide was just screwing with us. I was shocked how may fish it produced. Here's the question: has anyone tried it for anything other than bass? I'm headed to Tampa next month and thought it might be good under docks or around cover for snook, trout, etc.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Never tried it other than for bass.
    I don't see why you couldn't nose hook a fluke/swimbait with a circle hook and toss it around docks for redfish and snook.

Comment

I'm even thinking about just using a senko.

Honest opinion, is it not about the dumbest looking rig you've ever seen? We go to so much trouble to hide hooks and make things look natural...I'm just amazed how well it works. I understand it is all about the action but it still amazes me.

I guess it is sort of like goose hunting. They'll walk right up to you on a golf course, but we go to all kinds of trouble to hide a blind.
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I would expect it to work. Never tried it. When I was down in the Keys fishing mangroves I used a fly rod with Crazy Charlie flies, that worked well for reef fish.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

i use it for pickeral around docs and all

im sure you can even use a 1/2 jig head and wacky it around bridge pilings for rockfish

i mean Casey Ashley just used the saltwater tail spins to win the bassmaster classic .. so yeah they all will bite anything
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

10 inch berkley power worm texas rigged is a killer striper bait . i only have bass tackle so i have gotten real creative with applying bass tactics to the bay .
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

If they are hungry, fish seem to eat just about anything. I bet it would work
              Mike

Comment

Its worth a try. I've been in South florida the past 2 weeks and have done well with a green 14 tony. Trout, reds, jacks, lady fish, lizard fish.

Comment

You would be surprised how many fish in the saltwater bite on bass rigs. Ive used a few on the surf and have had huge results.
                  .:Next Level Fishing TV:. Kayak Fishing TV
                  http://www.youtube.com/NextLevelFishingTV

Latest Video: Bull Black Drum
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VABzwYAj1s

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                    Its worth a try. I've been in South florida the past 2 weeks and have done well with a green 14 tony. Trout, reds, jacks, lady fish, lizard fish.
                    you gonna post some pics???...I am living vicariously through other folks trips to warmer climes.........
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks, all. I'll let you know how it works. I'll be headed down mid-March.

As for colors, do I want to go natural or bright? I've heard the trout and reds like pink. That's not a color I have in my current collection. Most of mine are either variations of white or dark green. I'm assuming I'd go with white or silver in clear water and dark colors in stained water, correct?
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

pics

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        you gonna post some pics???...I am living vicariously through other folks trips to warmer climes.........
                        I will try to post some pics and info on my trip. I have posted some pics on fishzoo.net.

Comment

Working...
                        X