Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackle craft

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thinking about getting into trolling for rockfish this spring, i put together this lure. I painted the lead head and the buck hair. What you guys think? A good pattern for spring?
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Looks beautiful Jason, great colors! What ounce is that lure?...looks beefy. Most of my spring striper fishing is on the flats so anything over 1oz will bring up grass unless in the channels. I'll troll a 1oz Roadrunner paddletail trailer with a 3/8oz tandem a few feet behind on the channel edges in the summer. Usually on the Severn or South river, 80% of the time they take the smaller lure trolling between 10-15ft . You should try some of those bass crankbaits of yours too! Lots of times I'll troll a Bandit 200 close to shore and pick a few stripers up.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I've never used buck tail on my jigs for trolling the bay, but that one sure looks nice. Well done on the paint and fur!
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Looks good!

Terry (Raptor on this list) used a similarly shaped bucktail last year (1/2 oz.) with great success for stripers. He added a paddle tail for best results.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think this jig head is 1.5oz i figured at 3mph troll itll have alot of resistance and not sink too deep. Im thinking between 10-15' but i guess for the flats and shallow water i will use a lighter weight. Thanks for the comments
          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Nice craftsmanship on the bucktail. Much of my trolling in the Severn and near Kent Narrows is in water shallower than 6 ft. You can get away with 1.5-oz jigheads or bucktails when you are constantly moving and deeper than about 4 ft. If you go shallower or slow down while fighting a fish, a heavy jighead like that is like to hit the bottom or find debris sticking up off the bottom. If you are working in water deeper than 6 ft, you should have no problems. I occasionally use a 1 to 1.5 oz especially in May when the larger fish are in the river.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good to hear, thanks for the tips john. Ill look into spraying some lighter heads.
              Jason

Comment

Sweet! Nice handy work. That looks good. I'll let you now when we hit the water for some stripers this year and hopefully see you out there.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Nice that will catch fish

Comment

Nice work,

Yes . . . I had amazing success last year with a bucktail dressed with a 3- 4" 12 fathoms "Fat Sam Mullet" paddle tail in white or glow in the dark light green/white - al a John Veil. I used store bought bucktails or "Bange Bangers" which were made by Mark. We all fish together often (John, Mark, Harry, etc.) - The Snaggedline Geezers Club. I found that 1/2 oz. with very sparse hair worked the best - don't know why sparseness was so good but it seemed to be the ticket. Sometimes I was down to 15-20 hairs. When I was dragging four rigs with different lures it was about 3 to 1 hookups on the bucktail/paddle tail rig on multiple outings. X- Raps work well in the spring but for the summer this rig was golden. Of course, that was last year, who knows what will work this year?

T.
                    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Nice work Jason!

I'm still learning about these things... Does the open mouth make it wiggle more than a 'no mouth' bucktail?
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice, I caught my drum last year on a similarly shaped bucktail jig with a bkd
                        Last edited by Shady; 02-24-2015, 11:35 AM.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                          What you guys think? A good pattern for spring?
                          Colors are similar to Lucky Craft "Crack Blue" which is very effective for me. Nice looking bucktail.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                            Nice work Jason!

I'm still learning about these things... Does the open mouth make it wiggle more than a 'no mouth' bucktail?
                            i have no idea lol, a buddy of mine calls them ruby lips
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            X