Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you transport your rods? Innovative ideas, products or DIY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot take all the credit for the wood work. Yes, I started looking into doing this for Jamaica Bay last year, and I first started out by researching the SUV tents for longer stays, but for shorter stays I would just use the vehicle since I would need less supplies, clothes, food, etc. On YouTube I looked at a lot of the stealth camping videos to get ideas. I was going to setup the inside of my SUV with a blow up mattress and rod holders made of straps and Velcro attached to my SUV's ceiling handles. My requirements were that whatever I do, it must not be permanent, so I can return the SUV back to its original configuration quickly. Once I discussed it with Coop, he thought it was a good idea and immediately began "Coopifying" a van he acquired. He recommended to me the bed platform for a level surface for the mattress, since I was not removing any seats and they do not all sit flat completely. He also came up with using strips of wood to mount the rod holders after he was not able to mount the rod holders to the roof of his van. I thought that was a better idea than the straps that I was going to use. I came up with the blackout curtains that block out the light from the front of the vehicle and also the Reflectix shades that have black felt on the outside and brown felt on the side. When the shades are installed, the outside of your vehicle looks like it just have tinted windows, but no one can see inside even when shining a flash light on your car. Baisically they cannot see you sleeping nor can they see what fishing equipment is sitting in your car. The brown felt is just to make the inside look homey and take away the silver look on the inside that can bother your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14842[/ATTACH]

The 4" PVC tubes have threaded caps for yak support and rod storage .......... The white long storage case called a Hobie Toy Box can also be used for rod storage along with kayak and fishing stuff. It's lockable.
      Some launches charge for trailered boats. Do you normally get charged?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
      Tarpon 120
      Ascend D10T

Personal bests
      25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
      http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
      Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Moc (professor of snaggedline university) it was great doing our projects together. I wasn't too keen on the curtain project but it turned out great for the privacy while out fish camping. Instead of the long drive back after a full day of fishing , we can spend the night. The portable rod holders we made was the best of the whole project to keep the tips from breaking and out of the way. The mini version of the motor home on wheels. Glad to see that you stained the wood.
        2012 hobie outback
        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Yakie_Noodle View Post
          Some launches charge for trailered boats. Do you normally get charged?

It depends on where you go ........... Most of the ramps I fished from in Va were free. Trailers are easier but I can use the hitch extender on the pickup if I have to. If they charge me to fish where I want to then I'll pay it. Some places charge you if you launch from a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
            Moc (professor of snaggedline university) it was great doing our projects together. I wasn't too keen on the curtain project but it turned out great for the privacy while out fish camping. Instead of the long drive back after a full day of fishing , we can spend the night. The portable rod holders we made was the best of the whole project to keep the tips from breaking and out of the way. The mini version of the motor home on wheels. Glad to see that you stained the wood.
            Coop, if MOC is the professor, you sir are its mad scientist! LOL I love your creativity bro!

So we're the curtains put up through tension rods?
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              Coop, if MOC is the professor, you sir are its mad scientist! LOL I love your creativity bro!

So we're the curtains put up through tension rods?

Moc curtains are put through a tension rod.Mines are put through 3/8 brass rod which is bend to fit the contour of the roof liner.Thanks I like to do DYI.
              2012 hobie outback
              2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Mine is actually a curtain rod that I screwed a hook on each end. The edge of the hooks fits nicely and neatly in the side edge molding of the SUV to hold up the rod. It keeps the curtain low enough so that the tips of the rods can go over the curtain. I will probably bend an additional solid curtain rod so I can place a short piece of blackout curtain to go from the top of the straight curtain rod to the ceiling. This will cover up any area where some light may escape alerting anyone that there is a light on in the car. I want the SUV to look more like an unoccupied vehicle.

Comment

Man, you guys are killing me. I have been resisting the urge to turn my little RAV4 into a dedicated "Mobile Fishing Command Center" but this thread is pushing me over the edge. Sadly it doesn't have a driver's side grab handle installed so off to the junkyard I go!
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Finally had some time to tackle this project.....thanks for all the great ideas. Here is the end result! Very excited gonna use those for travel this weekend.....I even put a little bedazzle with a carbon fiber paint job.

Tarpon 120
                    Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                    25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

Originally posted by Yakie_Noodle View Post
                      Finally had some time to tackle this project.....thanks for all the great ideas. Here is the end result! Very excited gonna use those for travel this weekend.....I even put a little bedazzle with a carbon fiber paint job.

Looks great!
                      Mike

Comment

Thanks!

I made a video for it!

http://youtu.be/SOsXamtMs8Q

Tarpon 120
                        Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                        25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

i have a roof rack on my truck with ski carriers
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X