Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you transport your rods? Innovative ideas, products or DIY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my buddies wrote this article for a rack mount pvc roof rack rod tube for yakangler - it's lockable - very similar to the A.R.E. tube

http://www.yakangler.com/blogs/staff...ing-a-rod-tube

Comment

Excellent! That looks like a winner for me! Thanks baldyaker!.....I'll let y'all know how these turn out....just need to figure out how to plastidip whatever that means an8 foot PVC'y pipe....off to google it is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
      Tarpon 120
      Ascend D10T

Personal bests
      25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
      http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
      Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Plasti dip comes in a spray on form. Nice. That was the coating I was thinking of.

Tarpon 120
        Ascend D10T

Personal bests
        25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

I was going to plasti dip mine black last year, but yet another project on the list that I just never got around to. I was going to sand down the entire thing so the plasti dip grabs better, but it works fine as is so it is still just white...I still have the cans of plasti dip somewhere, maybe I will get around to it one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]14820[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14820[/ATTACH]

This works out great.Up and out of the way.
            Great idea for internal storage coop! I use bungee cord across the handles but this looks like it would work better.

You got extra pics of how the wood attaches to the handles? The ones you have up are a little dark.

I read MOCs description but I'm very much a visual learner
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I will try to post some pictures for you later..... I am in the process of staining them.

Comment

If you do end up using pvc with two caps, you could always coat it with bed liner, or get it rino lined. That would be pretty tight
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

This isn't a very good picture or diagram but will give you a general idea of what I came up with. Good ole PVC and some scrap Azek I had laying around. Use my bed track system to clamp it down. Think it holds 11 rods if I remember right. Used a router to cut slots in the PVC for the reels to slide into. Makes it very easy to rig at the fishing site as the rod tips are right up there where I can see. Being high off the bed and the angle up still gives me plenty of room for other gear in the bed. The whole center of the rack is open and I can still squeeze a a cooler and my crates under it.

2014-04-11-073805.jpgrack frame.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures and post them.

Comment

Jason, right on. That's along my thought process. I was hoping this post would helps others with some ideas.

I'm definitely going the PVC 6" tube route....from the article that baldyaker posted. I spent about $100 on Amazon last night buying the necessary stuff. Bought extra pasti dip spray, that stuff looks really cool and I might use it for some other kayak applications.

DonV,
                    That is a cool idea! I wondered how I might incorporate those tube holders. I don't have the extra hardware, I just store the kayak in the bed of the truck. Either way very cool.

I hope people will keep posting, this is a really good thread!

Tarpon 120
                    Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                    25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

That Tube idea is not a bad idea, especially if you have real long rods and a short vehicle. The outside storage would come in handy. Here are some pictures of my rod holders for the inside of my SUV that Coop helped me cut into place along with my bed platform for an overnight or two day stay for fishing. I could not have had the wood work come out so good if it wasn't for Coop1486 and his heated garage . For longer stays I would use an SUV Tent to hold the additional gear and supplies at a campsite. I made insulated covers for my back windows for not only privacy but to keep it dark while I am sleeping. The covers are made of Reflectix and is held against the windows by pressure. I also have a marine deep cycle battery with an inverter attached to charge small electronic devices on my trips. I leave the battery on the floor of the SUV so you cannot see it in the pictures.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Holy moly Martin! That's a sweet setup!
                        I'm not going to let you get away with that skinny write up! LOL
                        Give us more details about the window covers and the front curtain. Is that held by a shower curtain rod or something?
                        Like you always say professor MOC, do give us a good text book for Snaggedline University!
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Awesome setup. Makes me a little jealous!

Tarpon 120
                          Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                          25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                            That Tube idea is not a bad idea, especially if you have real long rods and a short vehicle. The outside storage would come in handy. Here are some pictures of my rod holders for the inside of my SUV that Coop helped me cut into place along with my bed platform for an overnight or two day stay for fishing. I could not have had the wood work come out so good if it wasn't for Coop1486 and his heated garage . For longer stays I would use an SUV Tent to hold the additional gear and supplies at a campsite. I made insulated covers for my back windows for not only privacy but to keep it dark while I am sleeping. The covers are made of Reflectix and is held against the windows by pressure. I also have a marine deep cycle battery with an inverter attached to charge small electronic devices on my trips. I leave the battery on the floor of the SUV so you cannot see it in the pictures.
                            Moc's Mobile Motel ......... I love ....... Great job guys

Comment

image.jpg

The 4" PVC tubes have threaded caps for yak support and rod storage .......... The white long storage case called a Hobie Toy Box can also be used for rod storage along with kayak and fishing stuff. It's lockable.

Comment

That is some incredible work Martin!! I camped in my vehicle at CBKA last year and it was a blessing. Absolutely no set up or breakdown, and no need to air out my tent once I got home...that takes it to the next level! JBay will be a different story though, I will be prepared to summit Mt. Everest at my base camp.
                                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
                                X