No announcement yet.

another option for mounting a transducer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the interest in magnets I raise a question -- I don't know the answer, but am curious. Does the presence of a strong magnet interfere in any way with the sonar signals coming or going from the transducer? On my center console boat, I am unable to place my handheld VHF anywhere near the FF/GPS -- as soon as the radio gets close, it picks up strong interference. I don't know if that is magnetic interference or something else.

You could test this easily by measuring depth using the transducer held in your hand without the magnet then attaching the arm with a magnet and testing again. If the values are comparable, then the magnet should not affect the signal.

Also, make sure you do not store your wallet too close to a strong magnet -- you can demagnetize the strips on the back of credit cards.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
      I have thought about trying something like that myself. I'd love to make it work with a grab handle so I can put it exactly where it would help lift the most without getting in the way. Sometimes I even wish I could put a grab handle on the bottom, where it obviously couldnt be permanent. Do you think 2 pairs of those would hold reliably to lift a yak? My biggest concern would be the magnets sliding because they are not in direct contact with eachother.
      Take a look at Seasucker products https://www.seasucker.com/ They use a vacuum mount system for temporary attachments, like handles. The device are not inexpensive but I suspect they would hold more securely than a magnet, would not scratch the hull surface, and would not rust.

Disclosure: I have no business interest in Seasucker products and have never bought one. I have seen them for years and thought about trying them.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
        Here is my $15 magnet solution from the local Ace Hardware store. Each magnet is supposed to have a 95 pound pickup force. Each magnet is like a donut inside of a metal puck. The disc has a 1/4 inch hole in the middle.
        I took some scrap aluminum I had laying around the garage and made a 6 inch arm that I bolted through the center of the magnet puck. One magnet will go inside the hull of my sit on top kayak, the other magnet puck with the transducer arm will go on the outside of the hull. Seems strong enough to me for the uses I envision. Each magnet was $7. The aluminum and bolts/nuts/washers were already paid for and in my garage supplies.
        Nice job Tom!
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Take a look at Seasucker products https://www.seasucker.com/ They use a vacuum mount system for temporary attachments, like handles. The device are not inexpensive but I suspect they would hold more securely than a magnet, would not scratch the hull surface, and would not rust.

Disclosure: I have no business interest in Seasucker products and have never bought one. I have seen them for years and thought about trying them.
          I have one of those seasuckers for my sailboat I used to have. They work but rubber suctions gets dried out and brittle thus lose suction power over the years.

I too been thinking of a solution for my stealth 14. Currently my transducer is inside the hull. I can't get water temperature readings. However I also do river fishing and often hit rocks from either on the side or bottom of the kayak. So I need a simple method that allows me to move the transducer at a moments notice.

My concern of having the transducer over the side may give inaccurate readings since kayaks rock sideways pretty easy. Anybody have those issues?

Donnie
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
            My concern of having the transducer over the side may give inaccurate readings since kayaks rock sideways pretty easy. Anybody have those issues?Donnie
            I have had transducers over the side on arms for years, never had any readout issues due to the kayak rocking. As long at the puck stays in the water I don't think that is a concern.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
              I have had transducers over the side on arms for years, never had any readout issues due to the kayak rocking. As long at the puck stays in the water I don't think that is a concern.
              Hey Dave Would love to see pics of your over the side on arm setup. I'm not sure whether to buy one or fabricate one.
              Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Hey Dave Would love to see pics of your over the side on arm setup. I'm not sure whether to buy one or fabricate one.
                Currently I have my transducer going through a scupper on my Ride 115 (the shape of the Humminbird transducers and the bottom contour of my kayak facilitates that setup) but when I have had transducer arm over the side:

Dave

Comment

Based on the 2nd pic, im assuming u dont glue the top part of the elbow? I like how u able to lay it flat on ur kayak. Thats a plus if going thru rapids or porting. Looks good and thanks for the pics.
                  Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Based on the 2nd pic, im assuming u dont glue the top part of the elbow? I like how u able to lay it flat on ur kayak. Thats a plus if going thru rapids or porting. Looks good and thanks for the pics.
                    Right I do not glue that pivot point. I did put a cotter pin in that joint that would lock the arm in the up position (flat on the front hatch) or in the down position.
                    Dave

Comment

Hi Fellas,

Apologies for the intrusion. I hope all is well with everyone here . I have been watching your forum thread, and I can answer all your questions as I am the owner of the company that makes these magnetic mounts. I want to also thank some of the members here in the forum for catching some inconsistencies on our website; which we have now addressed. Here's my feedback if I may:

1) Yes, only the 15mm is recommended for kayaks due to the typical thickness of the molded plastics in these boats. The 10mm did not work well in our trials on kayaks, hence we came up with the more powerful 15mm model - which performs superbly.
                      2) The big round magnet idea is cool, great work there - would love to hear how well that works out. We made our mount's footprint quite small and narrow to offset the issue of hull curvature.
                      3) Again apologies about the 10mm wording mix up - this was certainly not meant to lead anyone astray; and a "thank you" to those who pointed out our website product marketing inconsistencies
                      4) Please feel free to email me with any curiosities or questions - would be glad to help

PS. I hope this post is okay; I haven't mentioned our website, etc. so as to avoid breaking any rules...

Comment

Originally posted by fish mastah View Post
                        I hope this post is okay; I haven't mentioned our website, etc. so as to avoid breaking any rules...
                        Thanks for clearing up the issue of the 10mm vs the 15mm versions of your product. You have a unique product concept that makes for a very clean install on a kayak. I think it is okay to post the website as I had it in my original post.

http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!pr...ucer-mount-kit

http://www.fishfindermounts.com/
                        Last edited by Turtle135; 02-26-2015, 10:39 PM.
                        Dave

Comment

Well well well.... I just ordered the 15 mm magnetic transducer mount. They were helpful with my questions. Was getting tired of not getting water temps since mine was mounted inside. Will post my opinion once I install and test it. I'm sure I can save money doing the fabrication myself but can't beat the machinery and the design.
                          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thank you kindly Dave - really appreciate your compliments on our products I don't know if you guys have seen our videos with the product in action on a kayak? We have a great you tube channel if you just search YouTube for "float tube fanatics" you'll be able to check out our videos with the magnetic transducer mount in action on a kayak in the water. I should also mention we are just about to come out with a track system, where you will be able to attach our battery box mounting platform to your kayak by using a track with the t-bolts - just in case this is helpful to anyone. Here's the photos:

Kayak track mount2.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

HI Donnie, thank you again! We look forward to getting your new 15mm magnetic transducer to you shortly. I look forward to seeing your feedback here too.

Have a great weekend

Wade

Comment

Guys don't waste your time with the magnets like mine from Ace Hardware. I tried it out on my Coosa today and it was a fail. Needs more power! haha

Comment

Working...
                                X