another option for mounting a transducer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another option for mounting a transducer

Came across this website by chance, thought I would share this as I had not seen this before. Mounting your transducer with the aid of magnet.

http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!pr...ucer-mount-kit

http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!pr...ucer-mount-kit
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

talked to a few people who have it and they love it
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I currently have my Humminbird Transducer installed through a scupper in my Ride 115 as I do like having the puck in the water for an accurate water temperature. That design works well for me. However, this magnet option would allow for a setup that could be quickly and entirely removed (and moved to another kayak if need be).
      Dave

Comment

Its a great idea, incase you smack it on something it will fall off instead of breaking anything. If i were to use the same ff in to different vessels i would just buy 2 transducers so all you would have to swap in the head unit
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
          Its a great idea, incase you smack it on something it will fall off instead of breaking anything. If i were to use the same ff in to different vessels i would just buy 2 transducers so all you would have to swap in the head unit
          With this and a yak attach depthfinder box ( can't think of the name) you can switch it between boats/yaks without buying another transducer

Comment

Neat idea. Not sure I want to spend $70 on some magnets though. There's gotta be a way to do it cheaper than that.

Comment

I like the idea but did anyone notice that the $68 set up says, for use on any single hull water craft, such as kayaks, canoes, aluminum boats, plastic boats and on and on...
              Then just below that it says -NOT RECOMENDED FOR PLASTIC KAYAKS

Kind of a mixed message
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

LOL I saw the same thing Jim!

Comment

For another $20 you can put one on a kayak.

I have thought about putting a magnet inside of my yak and adding a piece of thin metal to my Hawg Trough so I can just stick to the side for easy storage. Only been thinking about for a few years so maybe it will happen...........
                  Last edited by Rockchaser; 02-18-2015, 10:33 PM.
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Memory Maker, the YakAttack product you referred to is the "Cellblok" : http://www.yakattack.us/CLB_1001_p/clb-1001.htm

I wondered about that statement about not using the 10mm product on a "plastic kayak" and if the 10mm and 15mm products are designed to handle that measurement of thickness of plastic? Maybe most roto-molded kayaks are more than 10mm thick so the 15mm product is needed?
                    Dave

Comment

$5 for duct seal and done.

Comment

Here is my $15 magnet solution from the local Ace Hardware store. Each magnet is supposed to have a 95 pound pickup force. Each magnet is like a donut inside of a metal puck. The disc has a 1/4 inch hole in the middle.
                        I took some scrap aluminum I had laying around the garage and made a 6 inch arm that I bolted through the center of the magnet puck. One magnet will go inside the hull of my sit on top kayak, the other magnet puck with the transducer arm will go on the outside of the hull. Seems strong enough to me for the uses I envision. Each magnet was $7. The aluminum and bolts/nuts/washers were already paid for and in my garage supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                          Memory Maker, the YakAttack product you referred to is the "Cellblok" : http://www.yakattack.us/CLB_1001_p/clb-1001.htm
                          Thanks ..... Couldn't remember the name and couldn't look it up while writing

I wondered about that statement about not using the 10mm product on a "plastic kayak" and if the 10mm and 15mm products are designed to handle that measurement of thickness of plastic? Maybe most roto-molded kayaks are more than 10mm thick so the 15mm product is needed?
                          The mm refers to the size of the magnet mounts ..... Not the plastic thickness. It probably has to do with the amount of power needed to grip the slick surfaces

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                            Here is my $15 magnet solution from the local Ace Hardware store. Each magnet is supposed to have a 95 pound pickup force. Each magnet is like a donut inside of a metal puck. The disc has a 1/4 inch hole in the middle.
                            I took some scrap aluminum I had laying around the garage and made a 6 inch arm that I bolted through the center of the magnet puck. One magnet will go inside the hull of my sit on top kayak, the other magnet puck with the transducer arm will go on the outside of the hull. Seems strong enough to me for the uses I envision. Each magnet was $7. The aluminum and bolts/nuts/washers were already paid for and in my garage supplies.

I have thought about trying something like that myself. I'd love to make it work with a grab handle so I can put it exactly where it would help lift the most without getting in the way. Sometimes I even wish I could put a grab handle on the bottom, where it obviously couldnt be permanent. Do you think 2 pairs of those would hold reliably to lift a yak? My biggest concern would be the magnets sliding because they are not in direct contact with eachother.
                            Mike

Comment

Mike, I think the only way to know for sure would be for you to try doing it with 4 magnets.

Comment

Working...
                              X