My new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Romo View Post
    Ahhh yea I didnt know that you had a PA... I was thinking about how it would look on my revo which has a lottttt less space. Seems much more feasible with that boat
    The guy in the you tube video I listed in the thread built a frame and used it on his either a Reve or Outback ....... I thought he said Revo though

Comment

Maybe you can use it for a dual purpose, Use it as a sail, then you'll really be green. Wind and solar power.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Someone needs to make it a little thinner and combine it with a vinyl wrap. Then you could wrap your boat and take advantage of all of that surface area without having to deal with a massive sail.
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Rick -

Since your PA has most of the other accessories already, how about adding a T-top for the solar panel.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Rick -

Since your PA has most of the other accessories already, how about adding a T-top for the solar panel.
            ...... Actually ........ I've seen an overhead sunshade with the solar panel but then you can't stand up

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
              Someone needs to make it a little thinner and combine it with a vinyl wrap. Then you could wrap your boat and take advantage of all of that surface area without having to deal with a massive sail.
              I totally agree ........ I was trying to get Torqeedo to make 1 for the front hatch but they weren't interested

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                I totally agree ........ I was trying to get Torqeedo to make 1 for the front hatch but they weren't interested
                I'm not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It can't be that hard, can it?
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I'm not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It can't be that hard, can it?
                  Probably not but you have to get the voltage/watts right for the size that's available ........ Also ...... Since Torqeedo makes the Evolve for Hobie, they don't want to sell a product for a Hobie kayak and tick off Hobie. Hobie on the other hand treats the PA owners like a bastard child. Many of the expensive accessories the advertise for the PA are either poorly made or just don't fit. The cover, sidekick don't fit properly ant the evolve won't work on the back ....... The hd carts were tack welded and they broke and the livewell has priming problems and have burst at the seems etc. ......... I don't think they are interested ......... As you can tell ....... I'm through with Hobie Accessories unless they are proven to work as advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                    Probably not but you have to get the voltage/watts right for the size that's available ........ Also ...... Since Torqeedo makes the Evolve for Hobie, they don't want to sell a product for a Hobie kayak and tick off Hobie. Hobie on the other hand treats the PA owners like a bastard child. Many of the expensive accessories the advertise for the PA are either poorly made or just don't fit. The cover, sidekick don't fit properly ant the evolve won't work on the back ....... The hd carts were tack welded and they broke and the livewell has priming problems and have burst at the seems etc. ......... I don't think they are interested ......... As you can tell ....... I'm through with Hobie Accessories unless they are proven to work as advertised.
                    I was thinking in somewhat more broad terms. If you could "print" it so to speak and wire it similar to LED's where you can cut between every "x" LED, you could have a built to fit solar panel that could be used on cars, buses, etc. Anywhere you could stick a piece of vinyl. You would have to then have a control pack that would act as a transformer to output the right voltage, etc.

You'd think they would cater to us considering how much the PA's cost. I love the boat, but it cost four times more than my first car! Then again, the PA is probably faster and certainly more comfy than my '84 cavalier was...
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I was thinking in somewhat more broad terms. If you could "print" it so to speak and wire it similar to LED's where you can cut between every "x" LED, you could have a built to fit solar panel that could be used on cars, buses, etc. Anywhere you could stick a piece of vinyl. You would have to then have a control pack that would act as a transformer to output the right voltage, etc.

You'd think they would cater to us considering how much the PA's cost. I love the boat, but it cost four times more than my first car! Then again, the PA is probably faster and certainly more comfy than my '84 cavalier was...
                      I'm with ya ......... My final straw was that I got 2 covers for my PA's that were listed on their site as fitting the PA but they barely cover it and the straps were not long enough. They finally had covers made that are supposed to fit the PA. I asked if they had a trade in program for those that trusted Hobie and bought the ones that didn't fit. Matt said that they were in the kayak business and not the cover business even though it says Hobie on the cover and they sell them from their catalog. ......... Go to the Hobie forum ....... Pro Angler section and look at the PA cover thread ........their attitude is really incredible ... If you have a PA you better try before you buy the accessories.

Well ......l just went to the Hobie website ......... Matt took down the thread ........... Such a guy
                      Last edited by Memory Maker; 02-19-2015, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I was wrong ....... Hobie does have a solar panel that is 30v at 23watts ....... Half the size of the Torqeedo for $630 ....... Torqeedo double the size and 48v at 45 watts for $899

Comment

A way to mount the solar panel, you could build a small bimini top using ram mounts and light weight aluminum tubes and mount it over the storage area in the rear of your kayak. So if ever, you can stand and stretch out and have something protect whatever you have in the back from the sun. Like maybe a cooler. Or tons of tackle.
                          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                          X