No announcement yet.

Brand new to kayak and kayak fishing - need help to learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russ, if you haven't gone to visitstmarysmd.com you should. It has a listing of the public launches in the county and most are free. I like Clark's Landing, Piney Point, and St. Inigoes as they offer good fishing and fairly protected water. Hope we can fish sometime this year.

Mike
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Google "water access map" for the map version of the launches. There is also a specific angler map as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
      Tarpon 120
      Ascend D10T

Personal bests
      25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
      http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
      Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

I'm not too sure about this 'rule' that is being mentioned. For example, next week it might hit 70 degrees down in the VA beach area, but the water temp will probably struggle to hit 36 or so. Hypothermia is still a Huge concern in these types of conditions. Better 'rule' to become familiar with this time of year is probably 1/10/1.

There will probably be some days coming up in March when air temp gets close to 80 and water temp still around 40...according to that rule, sounds like a great day to throw on some swim trunks and head out fishing, right? Doubt it, I know it is uncomfortable wearing the cold weather gear when air temps get high this time of year, but I still remain prepared for cold water immersion when I am out there until water temps really get moving up...which is still several months away.

Comment

Regarding Fall, Winter, and Spring kayak fishing

In my case, I care more about presence of boaters, the distance to the shore, the wind, air temp, and the Sun/clouds. To me, the water temp below 60F is cold water. I don't think the water temp between 34F and 60F makes a big difference as long as a kayaker can get back up on the kayak in 2 minutes. If a kayaker can't re-enter the kayak within the second tries during the self rescue practice in the controlled water, the water temp doesn't matter (if there is no help) in real situations.

The presence of the boaters is very important when you launch alone. They can help you big time. Once when I came out from the water (I was freezing during spear-fishing) in CHSP (the outer wall) after shooting some trigger fish and togs, I found that my kayak was drifted away about 200 yards. A boater picked me up and took me to my kayak. Without a boater, it could be the most serious self rescue situation. My phone was on the kayak that time. So I learned that during kayak-fishing, the Marine radio must be attached to the PFD, and wear the PFD. This way you can ask for help when you can't get back to the kayak.

In my case, after reentries, the distance to shore, the air temp and the wind have been the biggest factors. For example, 40F air temp will be fine for an hour to get back to the shore if there is no wind. Wearing or caring a thin wind breaker with hood (under a center hatch) is always good idea when the wind is over 7 - 15mph even on a warm day.

BTW, I have been bringing 2 sets of clothing, and all my tackles are tethered to the kayak. Getting dunked once didn't prevent me from fishing again on valuable fishing days.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-27-2015, 08:37 AM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I agree JohnE, you should familiarize yourself with the season and water temperature. the rule is just another base rules people can use. Your 80 degree example is spot on.
            Last edited by Matt Eikenberg; 03-06-2015, 06:31 PM.
            Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
            Wilderness Systems Ride115
            Wilderness Systems ATAK
            www.paddlinforbass.blogspot.com

Comment

Some of the most important things I've learned on snagged line have nothing to do with catching stripers or where to fish, which was why I first joined this forum. The amount of safety tips and preparation plans I have learned on here has been a gold mine and one day might actually save my life. It's been an added bonus and when I do go out now, I go out with a lot more confidence and awareness.

Comment

I found the same thing when I joined last fall.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I am in the same area- but like a lot of others have said- been a hard winter, ice covered waters is a real PIA- I have fished out of a Coosa- nice ride-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hey dudes! I'm a new member here and I'm relatively new to kayak fishing...I've been fishing and kayaking throughout my long life of 26 years but have started really getting into it over the past few years. I own a Native Slayer 12 and I love it. Last summer, I started fly fishing and standing up on the water. It was a blast catching bass on a 5wt rod. Feels like you are reeling in a marlin! Cannot wait to get the season started and some of my favorite reservoirs are opening this weekend.

I'm in the market for a new kayak roof rack for my Subaru Outback. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would like to be sure my yak won't be in danger even when I'm on the highway to western maryland.

Thanks!
                    Native Slayer 12

Comment

Originally posted by ngallag13 View Post
                      Hey dudes! I'm a new member here and I'm relatively new to kayak fishing...I've been fishing and kayaking throughout my long life of 26 years but have started really getting into it over the past few years. I own a Native Slayer 12 and I love it. Last summer, I started fly fishing and standing up on the water. It was a blast catching bass on a 5wt rod. Feels like you are reeling in a marlin! Cannot wait to get the season started and some of my favorite reservoirs are opening this weekend.

I'm in the market for a new kayak roof rack for my Subaru Outback. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would like to be sure my yak won't be in danger even when I'm on the highway to western maryland.

Thanks!
                      I actually opted for the malone universal racks...since I didn't have funds for the higher ends. They seem ok for now, but I've only put the boat up on them 2 times so far

Comment

I love the Thule SlipStream. Another Snaggedline member pointed me in that direction a long time ago and it is the best rack for me that I have ever use. I would buy it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Eikenberg View Post
                          We will be at Mattawoman Creek May 30.
                          I'd love to meet up. I fish out of SoMd and am a beginner as well. hope to meet you both soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

We should try to get a bunch of us together and ambush St.Marys lake soon!!

Comment

Originally posted by InshoreMac View Post
                              We should try to get a bunch of us together and ambush St.Marys lake soon!!
                              I'm definitely down for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Eikenberg View Post
                                We will be at Mattawoman Creek May 30.
                                Be careful. That's the weekend of the snakehead tournament. Lot of bow fishermen will be out before and during the tournament.
                                2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                                X