Zeroing to CBBT Cobia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    Whoa, you guys are aiming high. That's an envious goal for this year, Joe, and now I want to do it too. Never tried fishing for them. Fish the bottom or top? Do you use lures? Hang cut-bait a few feet below a bobber?

I figure since I caught bull reds with my lightweight baitcaster, it should work for cobia too. Right?
    I think cobia can be any depth. On the first video, at 3:53, Cobia were 35-42' down in 59' of water. At CBBT cobia can be in 25-60' of depending on where they appear. Even though I don't see cobia on the top, if I see a bunch of large fish on the FF, I will assume the fish are cobia at CBBT. The first video show how to work the lures. I think I need 2 and 3 OZ depending on the depth of the cobia.

I think you can use your current rod and reel. I will bring at lease one of my current combos as a backup. However the spool on my reel is not large enough to hold enough line. If I re-spool with 20# test braided, I can put 200 yard. But I want to put 30# test braided. With 30# test braided, I can put about 170 yards. In case of a 70 LB cobia (I am dreaming), I want 200 yards on the spool. I will be looking for used Lexa 300 or 400.

I am planning to bring 3 rod and reel combos. I already have Ugly Stick and Spinning Reel combo (which may be under sized); Tescata and light-weight-bait casting reel (Excellent rod for both cobia and flounder, but only 170 yards on the spool); The primary rod and reel combo (to be determined)

BTW,
    I will be bringing 2 live eels (in the zip bags in the cooler). And I will bring a marine Radio. I still can't find my marine radios. If I don't find one of them before the first trip, I will order one. This way we can split, and call when the cobia are found.

I just found my old tog reel, Abu Garcia 6601. It holds plenty of line. I haven't used it because it's max drag was 12.5 LB and too heavy for one hand jigging. But this can be used for Cobia. I can always apply the thumb drag.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Lemme know if you're planning a trip! I'm hoping to be down that way a good bit this spring/summer
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

John,

DE
        Jan 1 - May 11 (tog)
        Striper and flounder are available

Virginia
        Jan 1 - Apr 30 (tog)
        May 1 - June 15 (Striper)
        Flounder are available

I am planning to hit CHSP and CBBT depending on the wind. After May 11, I will be fishing CBBT looking for Cobia. The backup for CBBT will be Rudee and Lynhaven Inlets for puppies and specks

It all depends on the wind. We will see.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I have the weekend of May 8-11 blocked in for a trip to Kiptopeake for bull reds. (Full moon) Feel free to join. Last year someone spotted some cobia by the ships when I was down there. I tend to prefer the flats by fishermans island wise creek launch.
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

John,
            As of now I am ready (using my current tackles). I am searching for a used Lexa 400 or 300, and the bucktails and the curlytails on the videos. I can fish anywhere. I hope the wind help us.

Joe

Comment

I'd like to get in on some of these cobia adventures! I was on a very lackluster charter last june at the cbbt where we only landed 2 juvies but saw probably about a dozen on top including some that looked to be 70-80 lbs. All I remember thinking the whole time was "I was I was doing this on my hobie!"
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I wonder if any charters offer mothership cobia trips... I know an excellent captain that fishes the Cobia run each summer, I can run the idea by him if there is interest?
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I am definitely interested!

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Do you really need mothership though? You can reach Buckroe beach, cbbt fiahing ground with just kayak.

Comment

Don't get me wrong kayaking is fun and all but.... I'm out there to catch fish. If I can pay $40 and skip the hour plus long pedal out and back and get dropped in the most prime spots I'd be all over it. I'd be driving about 6 hours south to get there in the first place every minute is precious!

My YouTube Channel

Comment

The mothership would be able to help spot the fish and run you right to them
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                          Don't get me wrong kayaking is fun and all but.... I'm out there to catch fish. If I can pay $40 and skip the hour plus long pedal out and back and get dropped in the most prime spots I'd be all over it. I'd be driving about 6 hours south to get there in the first place every minute is precious!
                          probably would be quite a bit more than $40...
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                            probably would be quite a bit more than $40...
                            +1

It doesn't make a bit of difference to the boat captain whether you are casting from his boat or casting from your yak that you just dropped in the water from his boat. He is still burning gas and working like there is a normal party on board. Typically in my limited experience inquiring about mothershipping, it still costs as much as a charter.

You might get off a little cheaper if you find a private guy who will load you up.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Alrighty well scratch that then. I thought there might be someone with a big old skiff who could pick up and drop off at a certain time. Seems like there wouldn't be much gas burned running 5 miles and back at the cbbt but I know ppl gotta make a living. I've never done a mothership trip so I don't know whats involved. Might have to just lasso someone with a torqeedo

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I'd keep my eyes open. You may find someone, you never know. Always worth asking the locals. Heck, $40 might be a days worth of work for some of those fellas. Ha.

A little research goes a long way, too. Lots of cobia caught on the ES side of VA, especially in late May thru July. Many places are within paddling distance. About a mile or so each way. It's typically a chum fishery and offers less opportunities for sight casting like is found on the pilings of the CBBT, but if you are looking for Cobia with less paddling, it's an option.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X