Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeroing to CBBT Cobia

I am zeroing into CBBT Cobia this year.
    After watching the video below, I think I need a new set of tackles for CBBT Cobia. Since I will use the new tackle for 2-3 years possibly (kayak fishing only) and probably 2-4 trips a year. I probably don't need high end tackles. Due to my poor bait-cast reel casting skill, I think I should use spinning reel combo.

Tackles to research:
    Rod: Shakespeare® Ugly Stik® Tiger™ Lite Jigging Spinning Rods - $69.99 - $75.12
    MODEL: BWSJL220066
    6'6", Heavy, 50-100 lb, 4-7 OZ

Rod: 7' Shakespeare® Ugly Stik® Tiger™ Lite Jigging Spinning Rods - $64.99
    MODEL: BWSL2200 7'0
    7', Heavy, 14-40 lb, 1-5 OZ

Rod: Shimano® Terez - $249.99

Reel (spinning): Shimano Saragosa 8000 - $279.99
    max drag: 27 lb, Line capacity: 220/16 (mono)

Reel (Spinning): Penn® Spinfisher® SSV Spinning Reels
    model: SSV6500 - $159.99
    Line: 300/15 (mono), drag: 30lb

Reel (Spinning): Penn® Spinfisher® SSV Spinning Reels
    model: SSV7500 - $179.99
    Line: 300/20 (mono), drag: 35lb

Reel (Spinning): Penn® Battle II Spinning Reel Spinning Reels
    model: BTLII8000 - $129.99 *** 8000 may not fit on Rod: Shakespeare® Ugly Stik® Tiger™ Lite Jigging Spinning Rods 8000 series
    Line: 310/25 (mono), drag: 30lb

Reel (conventional): Release SG - $249

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-17-2015, 06:41 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I think west marine has Penn battle II combos on sale. The 2500 size was $99.
    Mike

Comment

I would get the spinfisher and a tiger lite. Would not bother with the battle--I would take a shimano socorro over the battle. I have 2 spinning tiger lites and 2 casting (3 mh and 1 heavy). I really like them...very durable and fairly inexpensive for what you get. I also have the spinfisher and that is what I would prefer to use for throwing 2 oz bucktails with large soft plastic at cobia. You don't think the mh tiger lite is strong enough? That is what I was carrying the times I tried for cobia.

I have never caught a cobia on the kayak yet, but I am going to try harder this year. I will try chumming once they start showing up in May/June in the same spots I tried last season, then just carry an extra rod rigged for cobia when I'm out at cbbt later in the season. I only saw one last year at cbbt--you are familiar with the spot. I lost my biggest flounder I have ever seen at cbbt reaching for my net at this same spot. I am going to camp out in that location a lot more this year.

Comment

John,
        In May and June, I will give up CHSP and will be at CBBT for cobia for sure.

Since you mentioned "chumming" I will be bringing a 5LB grappling anchor for sure grip. also carry some small hooks and fish-bites for spot and croaker for live bait.

According to the tackle Info at 10:23 on the video, The soft curl tails look 8" long. So I guess 3 OZ jig will be better then 2 OZ. So I will have what the video showed at least.

I think we will get 'em this year.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Hooked into a large cobe last year at the CBBT, then pulled the hook. We saw them in and around the pilings up on top. They were following the schools of bunker.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I hope to join you several times this year at chsp as soon as the bite starts up. We can try chumming at cbbt, but I am also going to try off back river again this year when they first start showing up. It is a long way out to 15 fow at back river (another reason I am really glad to finally have the outback). I want to try chumming top and bottom this year, last year I was only chumming top with chum block under a float. Will be using live eels on a gorilla 8/0 hook or similar strong, ultra sharp hook for bait in the early season. I have had all the parts to build a livewell, but never got around to it last year. I will get it ready for when the cobia show up. I have been reading up on strategies and they say it is much better to keep the eels in a livewell for cobia, as opposed to keeping them on ice like we do for stripers. Could also just hang them off the side in a mesh bag, but I had something very large bump the bottom of my kayak one time when I did this so I really would rather keep them in a livewell from now on...especially when chumming. Later in the year at cbbt, one dedicated rod rigged and ready with bucktail and large curly tail or bkd to throw at them in case one happens to swim around the cbbt pilings. I saw very few schools of bunker in the area last year compared to other years...guess that has a lot to with why it was such a horrible striper year in the lower bay.

Comment

Pinch,
              I was inspired when I saw the cobia photo posted on your 2014 recap.

I fished for cobia once off the Buckroe beach in mid May once. We anchored up in 15-20' of the water, and chummed. All used live eels and trolling gears. I caught southern kingfish whiting on fish bites (blood worm) for live bait. (This reminds me that I didn't catch spot and croaker that time. We didn't catch any fish that day

In May-June in VA water, the only species available are striper and flounder I think. And as I read more, the boaters and surf fishermen are using lighter tackles than I thought initially. It seems that the minimum tackle specs are:

Rod: fast action preferred, for 20-30# line rated
              Reel: 200 yd/20 # line capacity, 25# max drag

Since the only fish available in May and June are flounder and striper, I can simply carry my tog rods, Tescata (fast action, MH power, 30-50# braided, I have been casting 2-3 OZ lures with this rod. I use this rod for flounder and bull red) and Trevala S (Med Fas action, MH power, 50-80# braided. I have been casting 2 -3 OZ lures with this rod for striper). All I need is a new reel with 25# drag and that holds 200 yards of 20-30# braided line). I think Lexa 300 will do it. I can always apply thumb drag. Though I am not sure if level winder is OK on Cobia.

Anyway,
              My current plan is getting a spinning reel combo for longer distance and bird-nest free casting.
              Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-16-2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I was at bass pro just the other day looking at the same thing. Hoping to put together a rod/reel that can handle either cobia or bull red. I was very impressed with shimano's sargasso spinning on a shimano Terez 40-80 lb pp rated. Just a little hard to spend like $450 on a rod I'd likely only use a couple of times a year. So far most of my research the spinning setup seems to be favored by most. Here's an awesome video from Matt and Dave Lusk down at the outer bank catching them on the yak.
                http://www.saltminded.com/72lb-cobia-kayak-video/
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Whoa, you guys are aiming high. That's an envious goal for this year, Joe, and now I want to do it too. Never tried fishing for them. Fish the bottom or top? Do you use lures? Hang cut-bait a few feet below a bobber?

I figure since I caught bull reds with my lightweight baitcaster, it should work for cobia too. Right?
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thank you, JHOSS.
                    I love the link (video) you post. And I like Dave because he intentionally showed the lure, rod, and reel - that is what a good fishing report should be.

I put the link from JHOSS's post below so I can watch the video repeatedly. It seems that they are using Ugly Stick and Penn Reel (old Slammer? - max drag: 15 LB) combo. If this is true, less expensive spinning reel combos (even lower end Penn Reel) will do the job. The video is excellent because it shows the lure. Since the opportunity comes a very few times a year, inexpensive Ugly Stick and Penn Reel combo will fits my budget.
                    The video also confirms that spinning reel combo is better choice for Cobia. I am ditching the idea of using a bait casting reel because I am not sure about the level winder feature (on the bait-casting reel) for the speedy fish like Cobia.

Yesterday I found that I have two old (MH, 12-20# line) Ugly Stick (20+ years old), and 2 new Penn 104 (at least 30+ years old) in the basement. My test showed that Penn 104 max drag was 15#. I thought these would be enough. But after seeing the video, I think I need a new set of rod and reel.

Capt. Dave and Matt's 72 LB Cobia

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-17-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Joe, those guys are both on Facebook, I'm sure they'd tell you exactly what they were using if you send them a message. Dave can also be contacted via his fishing charter saltminded. com
                      John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I fished with Dave on Saltminded last summer for Reds and Specks. Great guy! Highly recommend!

Comment

Joe,
                          A couple more for you. On the first, the guy is using a mojo inshore with what looks like a 5000-6000 spinner. (70 lb fish!) The second guy has all his tackle detailed on the YouTube description- waxwing rod and 5000 straidic FJ
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MohtzZk4no

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YfmwtEfLes

I ended up going with a 7ft heavy mojo inshore casting paired with a lexa 300. Hoping the level wind doesn't end up being a problem. I mainly hoped to have a setup I could also drop bait down for fall bull redfish. Lemme know what you end up going with.
                          John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                            I ended up going with a 7ft heavy mojo inshore casting paired with a lexa 300. Hoping the level wind doesn't end up being a problem. I mainly hoped to have a setup I could also drop bait down for fall bull redfish.
                            Thanks for more good Info.
                            I think you have the right combo for a 70 LB Cobia. Level winder shouldn't matter. I think Lexa 300 will hold enough line. When I hooked a 7' shark last year at CHSP, it wasn't the level winder, It wasn't the drag. It was the size of the spool. I only had about 80-100 yard (50# test PowerPro) on the spool. After 15-20 minutes, when the shark swam straight in full speed. I ran out of the line. I think a 50-70 LB Cobia will do the same thing to my current reel. The same rod and reel combo landed a bull red (49-52") at CBBT last year. I think cobia is no bull red.

My problem with casting rods is my casting ability. I really don't want to have a bird nest when Cobia are around. I think I have bird-nest Phobia. Perhaps I should practice casting a 2 - 3 OZ jig in the park and buy a Lexa 300 or 400 since I already have two good casting rods (Tescata and Trevala S).

As of now, I have two spinning combos at home (6'6" Ugly Stick MH (12-20 LB) + Penn 104 15# drag). I think this combo is good enough.
                            I think I will buy a Lexa 300 or 400 regardless cobia fishing. I will look for the used one since I have time

Joe

Comment

The 300 is $159.00 at Amazon right now
                              John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X