• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a beautiful picture!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

It was cold as all get out but it felt great to stretch some line out for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any luck
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Comment

Two a day allowed, this little beauty was small so I released. Tough bite yesterday.

Comment

There's no way that's a stocked fish, beauty
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Comment

Lol. They definitely aren't indigenous to the Patapsco though. It's possible it was born there, but really unlikely. There's a decent soft launch for yaks above the dam there, and I hear the smallies are plentiful. Can't wait til spring!

Comment

This was the keeper...

Comment

Wow, those are beautiful fish. I will add the Danials Area to my list of places to check out.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Beautiful photographs!

The Patapsco gets a decent stocking several times during the year, usually Spring and occasionally a late stocking in October.
                        It will be heavily fished during this period, especially immediately after opening day. If you enjoy fishing with 2000 of your closest new friends, I figure that the DNR stocks 2,500 trout, so calculate the odds.
                        I avoid this area in the Spring.
                        It gets too warm to hold trout over in these areas, say after late June.

There are a few deeper stretches, the pool above the Daniels Dam is one, perhaps a 1/2 mile long, but deep is relative, most of the pool is silted in, and suitable for sunfish, suckers, and carp. Be very careful wading in the hole below the dam, as the bottom drops away very quickly.
                        There is another Dam, Bloedes Dam, below Ellicott City. That part of the park gets stocked heavily as well.
                        Bloedes Dam is scheduled to be removed in the not too distant future. Be very careful wading below this dam, as there are drownings here every summer.
                        I have seen Hickory Shad migrating through this area. They aren't smart enough to use the fish ladder at the dam.

Except for the Park, Daniels Dam, and near the bridges (Marriottsvile Rd, Granite Rd, and Old Frederick Rd), access is very limited. I used to park in Oella, hike up to Route 40 and fish my way back, a total of 4 miles or so each way. Now, there is no public parking until all the way down to EC, an extra mile.

The area from Sykseville down to below Avalon is a fair to middling Smallmouth fishery. While there may be a few big fish, most Smallies caught here are under 10" and those fish may be 5-6 years old.
                        So, please release them!

Way above Sykesville, where the stream gets tiny, there are occasionally some Brown Trout caught that have gone feral from stockings may years ago.

Comment

Great tutorial. Thanks. I release all bass, and usually release trout unless I want a small meal that night. I love the smallie fishing on the upper Potomac, but those can be dangerous waters as well. I will leave the post with a couple parting shots... Spring is almost here. Tight lines all...

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                            Hah, yea, I pointed that out but she says the offer still stands. I love hiking in the cold, if I can't find a spot to fish we might just do that.
                            There is a 1mile trail at the water works park. When it warms up got start jogging it....it is supposed to be no pets, but I've seen people with pets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                            Tarpon 120
                            Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                            25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                            Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Anyone know if daniels is open today? I'd think it's open, but when i look at some of the river flow graphs online, it says iced up. Anyone been out that way lately? Cabin fever has talked me into trying to catch a few trout.
                              Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

I drive across the 70 bridge over the patapsco everyday to go to work. There's been a good 4-5' of ice on either side of the river but open in the middle. I'd assume it more open by the dam with the turbulence of the water there.
                                Ryan
                                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X