baitcasting rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baitcasting rod

Ok just picked up a pro qualifier from bass pro. Grabbed the 7.1: 1 as I don't own a fast reel. Maybe this wasn't the right decision. Anyways, trying to figure out what rod to put it on. Don't have a ton to slend. Anyone know anything about the daiwa t series rods? Found a good deal on a 6'6" medium. Just don't know if that's the right action for a fast reel. Also looking at the bass pro extreme rods while there on sale at present

Plan to be inshore and freshwater general usage

I haven't tried the Daiwa rod you're asking about but have some others and believe they are a great value for the money, plus Daiwa's customer service is very good. However I do have some of the older BPS Extreme rods and would say for my applications (freshwater bass casting and light tackle jigging in the bay), these are probably the best bang for the buck when they are on sale. Really solid performers, good bite detection and cast far. I would rate them close to my go to rods, St Croix Avid with the main difference being the Extremes use cheaper components.
    2014 Hobie Pro Angler
    2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

i can get the new extreme for $64 with the rod trade in program. I can get the Daiwa T Series for $59 free shipping. The T series is an IM7 blank, the only thing i see that i dont like about the T series is the EVA grips. I much more prefer cork but thats mainly aesthetics. Now what im trying to figure out as well is the rod powers, for a 7.1 ratio reel do i choose medium or medium heavy etc. all of this junk is confusing to me lol. I have a abu 4600 on a 7' medium power fast action penn allegiance II and a abu 5500 on a quantum 7' affinity MH fast action rod

Comment

the only difference is a 30 day warranty and a 1 year warranty if it breaks.
        Ive used daiwa rods, and loved them

Ive used the extremes and LOVED them.
        Both are a very nice rod, pending what your trying to do if the action. If your tossing around swim baits or any kind of moving bait a M will do just fine, if your trolling at all, or working any sorts of grass go no less than MH bc you never know what your going to get
        Zach Moore
        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
        Bait Towel Pro Staff
        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

According to Daiwa's site the T Series has a 5 year Warranty
          http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=609

Comment

Well im talking about in store, alot easier to drive back and drop it off then pay for shipping thats about half the cost as the rod.

Now if you stick with Shiamno and Garcias.. you just take a picture of the broken rod, the weight and length and action. send it to their customer service and you get your self a new rod in the mail . you have to scan your receipt though

not sure if daiwa follows those other manufactures lines though
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

i too just picked up two pro qualifiers, one in the 6 ratio and the other 7. i plan on using the 7 for frogging and fishing heavy cover so i paired it with a 7' medium heavy berkeley cherrywood hd rod for $22. the other rod for the 6 ratio is a berkeley lightning shock rod in 6'6 medium action that i got for $40. both were purchased from walmart.

i am still new to baitcasters so i definitely did not want to break the bank on my first set of rods. i dont think i have any regrets. i believe the lightning rod receives fairly positive reviews for its price point.
              Michael
              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
              Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I looked at the lightning rods but didn't like the way they ferlt. I guess I've been spoiled by my nice inshore spinning rods. I was also looking at the daiwa Jupiter which is an aird rod in silver just for walmart

Comment

Originally posted by mebe007 View Post
                  I looked at the lightning rods but didn't like the way they ferlt. I guess I've been spoiled by my nice inshore spinning rods. I was also looking at the daiwa Jupiter which is an aird rod in silver just for walmart
                  i was thinking of buying that rod too... it was only $10 more than the lightning shock rod and it comes with fuji reel seat and guides. def a good deal. I just dont remember seeing a rod size/action that i wanted :/
                  Michael
                  2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                  Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I think all I saw was a 6'6" medium action which would be a good crankbait rod but I don't know how well the 7.1 would fo with that task though

Comment

Generally the lower the first number on the reel ratio the better a reel is for crank baits. The first digit is the number of revolutions the spool makes for each turn of the handle. The lower that number, the more power you have.

Crank baits can provide a lot of resistance in the water depending on how big their lip is. Retrieving them can get tiresome. So think of a lower ratio bait caster as a car going up a hill in lower gear. It's easier on the engine.

Higher numbered gear rations are generally for speed retrieves, like spinner baits.

You can find lots of websites devoted to this explanation by Googling "bait cast ratios."

I use bait cast rods that vary in length from 6 to 7 feet and fast and slow reels. To be honest I notice very little difference in them and I use them for all kinds of baits interchangeably. Perhaps if I was a professional fisherman I would. But I switch back and forth so often that I must subconsciously compensate for any differences in retrieve speed or effort.

I'm sure you'll do the same.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

yeah i understand that one, i can use my deep divers on the abus with the 5.3:1 ratio. lipless cranks on the 7.1. i guess it all comes back to comfort on the angler, so ill be alright i suppose lol. now im still torn on this rod decision. i have no clue which what to go.

I can get the Team Daiwa T Series 5 year warranty in either 6'6" Medium or 7' Medium Heavy for $60 with a 5 year warranty (IM7 Blank) EVA Grips
                        Daiwa Jupiter in 6'6" medium for $35.00 1 Year warranty(IM6 Blank) EVA Grips
                        Bass Pro Extreme just about any length and action $65 1 year warranty (Blank Unknown) Cork Grips
                        Bass Pro Graphite Series $30 1 year warranty (IM6 Blank) Cork Grips

Comment

mebe007,

At those prices I wouldn't worry about the warrantees.

Pick the one that is most comfortable in your hand or even the most visually attractive to you. They're all nice and each will do the job. The point is for you to like it and to have confidence in it.

You'll adjust to its characteristics as you use it. I think that's my main point.

Good luck,
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thats where I am stuck, The Graphite bass pro rod felt clunky/ heavy to me, and the extreme felt nicer. The Jupiter felt super lite and nice, but im not a fan of the eva which is probably my only dislike about it. now the jupiter is the same rod as the aird but in silver instead of orange as well as having fuji guides on it vs the airds guides, so its slightly better. the t series is daiwas rod that is officially recognized vs being licensed for walmart. the t series has a better real seat and the higher modulus blank but i cant feel one in person. the one place that has the t series issues a prepaid return label so if i dont like it i can return @ no cost to me, but they only have 6'6" medium and heavy only. the MH is at a different place and I would be stuck with it.

Thanks for the advice guys

-Mark

Comment

Went into bass pro today. They had rod riot signs up that weren't up the other day. Anyways long story short walked out with a johnny morris signature 2 series for stupid cheap, like cheaper than the extreme on sale.

7'2" mh fast action
                              Stainless fuji k series guides
                              Fuji alconite rings

All around wicked rod especially for what I paid. If there was a medium there I would have bought 2

Comment

Working...
                              X