No announcement yet.

Pickup truck owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it! I sketched out something similar to put in my bed sidetracks. This looks easier
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14822[/ATTACH] This is what I did. I have quick connects at the two sections.
      Looks like you have the tri-fold tonneau cover. Any issue or inconvenience? I'm wondering if the roll-up or other t-cover is better for yakers.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        Looks like you have the tri-fold tonneau cover. Any issue or inconvenience? I'm wondering if the roll-up or other t-cover is better for yakers.
        I love the tri-fold it goes on and off in less than 1o min so I can put my rack on when I need it. oc t.jpg
        Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
        Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Maryland Law Load Extension Law

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
          I have warned about this before on here, but I think this is the first I have heard about anybody actually getting a ticket. I run the risk myself sometimes and have never been messed with (even having run past many speed traps on my trips). Here is the exact law in VA:

Extended Loads on All Highways
          Loads may not extend more than 3 feet beyond the front of
          a vehicle or vehicle combination and may not extend more
          than 6 inches beyond the line of the fender or body on either
          side of a vehicle or vehicle combination.
          Any load extending 4 feet beyond the rear of the bed of the
          body of a vehicle or vehicle combination must be marked
          in the daytime by a red flag at least 12 inches square, and at
          night by a red light visible for at least 500 feet

If you bought one of those really fancy extenders, you could have spent a little more and got a universal tracrac like I have and then you don't have to worry. However, sticking the yak right in the bed is easiest to load and also probably best for fuel economy. A red battery operated bike light should be fine, but I would worry about replacing batteries all the time and having them run out on a trip.
          In Maryland I believe we have 6 feet of overhang allowable and I haven't seen anything about lighting.

(c) Maximum load extension limits - Rear limit.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, and subject to the maximum length limits of § 24-104.1 of this subtitle, the load on any vehicle operated alone or the load on the rear vehicle of a combination of vehicles may not extend more than 6 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of the vehicle.

(2) (i) The load on the rear of an automobile or boat transporter, including any retractable device on the rear of a combination of vehicles engaged in the transportation of automobiles in use to support a transported vehicle, may not extend more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the permanent bed or body of the automobile; and

(ii) A white, red, or orange fluorescent warning flag made of a reflective material at least 18 inches square shall be displayed on the rearmost portion of the overhanging transported vehicle.

gdm
          Gregory
          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
          2014 Pro Angler 12
          '

Comment

When I can take my tool box off the truck for day trips, I just put my outback in the bed on diagonal with a foam block on the tailgate and strap it down. No extender, flags, or lights needed with my 6.5' bed, only sticks out maybe 2' or less.

Comment

DSCN0432.jpg I put lights on mine. I stopped at the State Police to ask if I needed a flag they said I was fine the way it is as long as the lights work.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Daddyg: Where did you get your light kit from? This same issue has concerned me as well.

Thanks,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I did some more hunting and found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE0W5Y...46ea0ea56d37_S

This 'MaxxHaul 70205 12V LED Trailer Light Kit ' is only $27. Not bad. I don't know if the plug will fit my 2013 Chevy Silverado though.

Best Regards,
                  Stan
                  Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...KIKX0DER&psc=1
                    I have had one of these for a while to put on my hitch cargo carrier or bed extender. I just attach it with a nite ize rubberized gear tie and wired with a long 4 flat extension. Plugs right into my silverado. Used it quite a few times and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      How do you all carry rods? I finally joined the truck gang and I am worried about storing them vertical for transport
                      get roof rack with ski holders. i have the yakima bedrock currently, but miss the roof rack i had on the old truck.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X