No announcement yet.

Pickup truck owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess lights on the extender would be better than nothing, but the way I'm reading it is the back of the kayak needs to have the red light on it. I don't think they care so much if it is just 4 feet or so, but I can see why they would pull you over with the 16' yak...it was probably really sticking out quite a ways.

Comment

I'm not sure how you would be able to put a light on a kayak end and keep it straight/on/etc. I think putting it on the extender would be reasonable but then again, we're talking about the govt

Look what this guy did.

http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic23228.html

Comment

The problem is it is up to interpretation and discretion of the people writing the tickets. I think all you really need is the red glow stick on the rudder if your extender does not stick more than 4' behind the truck (not sure how long they are since I chopped my down to use it upside down), but I don't see it being too hard to get a trailer harness (provided your truck already has a place to plug it in like mine does) and extending a length of wire back to a red light strapped to the rudder--but securing the wiring each time and remembering to remove it in the morning may be an issue. If the extender sticks more than 4' behind the truck, you need the lights on it as well to be safe and probably a good idea anyway. Mine yak sticks out about 5.5' the way I usually transport it lately and all I use is a red flag with no problems yet...but that does not mean I won't get pulled for it in the future and better to be safe than sorry. I knew somebody would get a ticket sooner or later driving at night with the yaks sticking out so far.

Comment

This is my simple solution for now. Clip a red led/reflective dog collar to the rudder. Should be relatively durable and supposed to get 75 hours off each small, cheap battery. http://www.niteize.com/product/Nite-...Dog-Collar.asp

I also use a red 18x18 bungee safety flag from Home Depot...I'm just clipping that and the dog collar to my rudder for now and I don't expect I will ever get pulled over about the kayak with that combo. Problem solved for me until I come up with something better. I was thinking a red dive stick would be a good, durable option but I can't find any that have long enough lasting and/or cheap power source.

Comment

Dave,

Your kayaks are 12' and 13' long.
            I don't think I would have gotten a ticket if I carried the Outback (12') or Revo (13'). The adventure is 16.5' long.

My interpretation is that Outback and Revo does not need additional light once the trailer light kit is installed on the extender.

BTW.
            If you want to bolt the light kit on the extender, we need only one hour, 6 pack, and $50.00 if you want to go with LED light. I did all the thinking and implemented on my extender. We need few L shape metal piece with predrilled holes, bolts, nuts, washers, and a roll of electrical tape in addition to the kit. All materials are at Lowe's. We need to drill 4 holes on the extender.

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I just paid $99 total for the infraction for not having lights at night

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

man that would pay for some LED lights

Comment

DSC_1654.jpg This is what I did. I have quick connects at the two sections.
                  Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                  Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Switching back to the extender.

Looking to get the T-bone, but it costs nearly 4x the HF-type extender. Is the HF-type (w/ 90 deg bend) a problem when driving over slopes? (in terms of the extender scraping the ground) Do you wish you got the curved T-bone?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I have no issues with the HF scraping the ground. I lock mine with a locking hitch pin.
                      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

How do you all carry rods? I finally joined the truck gang and I am worried about storing them vertical for transport
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          How do you all carry rods? I finally joined the truck gang and I am worried about storing them vertical for transport
                          I have a sit-in, and I just tuck all the rods into the sides of my kayak, which is strapped in so it rides in the center of my truck bed. 1 strap across the front to the 2 cleats in the rear of the truckbed, 1 strap from the front of the kayak along one side to one of the cleats in the front of the truckbed, and 1 more across the back of the kayak (which is pushed against the end of the bed/beg. of the cab) to the 2 cleats in the front of the truckbed. This last strap usually has plenty of slack so I use it to just loop over the rods in the kayak, it's more peace of mind. Silasvirus has an outback, and he just bungees his rods together and lays them in/along his kayak in his truck bed, I think he usually just puts 1 bungee over them as well. He said he's never had them bounce around really.

Comment

If you get a crew cab, then no issue. It's also nice for over night trips because you can leave them in the car.

Otherwise, stow them length wise on the yak. tie them down with bungee and you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                              Thanks all.

I got the t-bone extender so I didn't want it stolen while I'm out fishing. But now I realized I may not need one since I have a 6 ft bed too?! DOH!
                              Plan to sell it?
                              Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                              2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                              33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                              2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I made something like this but it has two closed I hooks on the top horizontal board sides allowing me to attach a bungee cord from the eyelid to the cleat in the truck bed on each side. I then just took a bungee and wrapped it around the reels and each eyelid. Seems to do the trick and it's easily removable as well.

ebc0b6b709d3a2d8a2ac5c847ddb55d7.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X