Pickup truck owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup truck owners

Do you lock your bed extenders when out fishing? If you do, where do you store it to keep it from getting stolen when out fishing (EG: CBBT) and what do you use?

I have the Harbor Freight bed extender It's 2 pieces so both pieces go into the truck cab. only takes a couple of seconds.

Comment

I have a tonneau cover on my truck bed. It gets locked in the truck bed under the cover.

You can get hitch locks that should fit the extender ....... You need 2 of them

Comment

If you don't have a covered bed you can get a pin with a hole big enough to stick a padlock through.
        Mike

Comment

Tailgate is bed extender. No extender needed.

Comment

I use the harbor freight extender but I use small brass pad locks that fit in the hole of the pin so you can't pull the pin out. Got the locks at Home Depot and with the two pack a they both use the same key.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
              I have the Harbor Freight bed extender It's 2 pieces so both pieces go into the truck cab. only takes a couple of seconds.
              Ditto
              2014 WS Ride 115X
              2011 Hobie Outback

Comment

never locked mine when i used it. of course it can be stolen, but hasnt yet. you can always get the hitch locks and if you have the harbor freight 2 piece, just get 2 locks. i basically never use mine now, but i have 6 foot available space (8'foot bed with tool box. but with tailgate down, around 8' foot surface area. i guess my 13.5' kayak sticks out about 5.5' beyond end of tailgate. shes fine.)
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks all.

I got the t-bone extender so I didn't want it stolen while I'm out fishing. But now I realized I may not need one since I have a 6 ft bed too?! DOH!
                  Last edited by HokieDJ; 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I use hitch pin locks. You can buy them anywhere.
                    John D.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

My 16' adventurer needs the bed extender. I feel secure with the bed extender when carrying Revo or Outback.

The other day, I got the citation for not having lights at night. According to the cop, a 12x12 red flag is OK for daytime but needs light at night if stuff sticks out more than 4'.
                      I haven't check the exact laws about it yet. Anyway, I installed the trailer light kit on the extender because I always drive before sunrise and after sundown with kayaks. I bought a LED light kit ($40), some bolts, nuts and pieces of metal with predrilled holes ($10) at Lowe's.
                      And I made a bungee cord with a small flashing red bike light. The bike light can be strapped to all my Hobie rudders.

Since the labor was more expensive than $50 + extender, I am going to keep the extender inside or lock it.

Dave,
                      If you buy an extender and want to install the light kit, let me know. It will take less than an hour to install the light kit + trip to Lowe's. I know exactly what/how to do it now.

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-11-2015, 06:08 AM.
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        My 16' adventurer needs the bed extender.

The other day, I got the citation for not having lights at night. According to the cop, a 12x12 red flag is OK for daytime but needs light at night if stuff sticks out more than 4'.
                        I haven't check the exact laws about it yet. Anyway, I installed the trailer light kit on the extender because I always drive before sunrise and after sundown with kayaks. I bought LED lights ($40), some bolts, nuts and pieces of metal with predrilled holes ($10) at Lowe's.
                        And I made a bungee cord with a small flashing red bike light. The bike light can be strapped to all my Hobie rudders.

Since the labor is more expensive than $50 + extender, I am going to keep the extender inside or lock it.

Dave,
                        If you buy and want to install the light kit, let me know. It will take less than an hour to install the light kit + trip to Lowe's. I know exactly what/how to do it now.

Joe
                        I have warned about this before on here, but I think this is the first I have heard about anybody actually getting a ticket. I run the risk myself sometimes and have never been messed with (even having run past many speed traps on my trips). Here is the exact law in VA:

Extended Loads on All Highways
                        Loads may not extend more than 3 feet beyond the front of
                        a vehicle or vehicle combination and may not extend more
                        than 6 inches beyond the line of the fender or body on either
                        side of a vehicle or vehicle combination.
                        Any load extending 4 feet beyond the rear of the bed of the
                        body of a vehicle or vehicle combination must be marked
                        in the daytime by a red flag at least 12 inches square, and at
                        night by a red light visible for at least 500 feet

If you bought one of those really fancy extenders, you could have spent a little more and got a universal tracrac like I have and then you don't have to worry. However, sticking the yak right in the bed is easiest to load and also probably best for fuel economy. A red battery operated bike light should be fine, but I would worry about replacing batteries all the time and having them run out on a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                          If you bought one of those really fancy extenders, you could have spent a little more and got a universal tracrac like I have and then you don't have to worry. However, sticking the yak right in the bed is easiest to load and also probably best for fuel economy. A red battery operated bike light should be fine, but I would worry about replacing batteries all the time and having them run out on a trip.
                          Thanks for finding the law. I will pay for the citation.
                          I don't want to lift kayak more than 6' because of my back. I don't think I will receive another citation since I have the trailer lights installed on the extender.
                          The bike light last 80 hours and it is added above the red flag for additional safety.

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM.
                          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Man now I need to add the lights. I'll have to catch up with you Joe later on with what to do. I wonder if they sell battery operated lights that you can just tie on to the extenders.

Comment

these are magnetic just stick them to your bed extender and plug into your trucks trailer wiring plug and your ready to roll

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...9626-8847.html

Comment

Working...
                              X