Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously - non cotton underwear for Hobie Pedalers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously - non cotton underwear for Hobie Pedalers???

I know cotton underwear hurts.
    I've been wearing smaller sized old thin basketball shorts. It's good, but it is bulky still on a cold day. When the air temp drops I want to wear more. But the hip area is too bulky inside the wader. I want some thing thin and also a non rope.

I have boxers that aren't cotton and very soft. Does any Hobie owner wear these? will they be eventually rolled up, and become a thick rope? Hobie anglers know how painful the cotton ropes are after hours of pedaling. Do non cotton underwears stay as they were in the morning?

I am going to try regular non cotton underwear tomorrow. Just in case, I will bring my basketball short and a large beach towel.
    If you say NO, I am not going to try non cotton boxers.

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

AFTCO underwear all I wear for anything and everything now. Quick dry and great for a long day in the hobie.

Comment

Joe,

Check out ex-officio briefs/boxers. well known brand for a lot of hikers/backpackers. they are non cotton and quick dry.
      quite pricey but you can find them on sale sometimes around $15
      Michael
      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
      Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
        Joe,

Check out ex-officio briefs/boxers. well known brand for a lot of hikers/backpackers. they are non cotton and quick dry.
        I hear a lot of good things about this brand and have yet to try them.

For synthetics I've switched over to Under Armour a couple years back and haven't looked back. Only negative is the price, which is usually less than $20 a pair but they hold up quite well over time.
        2014 Hobie Pro Angler
        2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

are you saying that you guys that pedal have a wedgie problem?

Last edited by Turtle135; 02-06-2015, 10:59 PM.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Under Armor compression shorts. The material breaths and when wet doesn't chap the thighs peddling

Comment

The Brand Russell make a long mid thigh underwear. they are easy on the budget. The sell them at Wal-Mart and JC penny's. I had the same problem while running and working out and after using these I have had a better outcome while exercising and while on the hobie. There are also more Mens underwear companies now competing in the athletic underwear market. they are sold in their own section in Wal-Mart's.

Comment

You guys wear something under your waders?!? I thought they were like kilts...

Just kidding. +1 on Under Armour
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Next will we want a Guy Harvey print of Little Nemo across the front. look up the reviews for Duluth Trading boxer briefs and do like they say "Get a pair"

Comment

Cotton "briefs" are all I wear, no issues. All other layers under my dry suit are non-cotton though.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
                      Joe,

I have switched over to these and I could not be happier. I travel a ton of work and I can just wash them in a hotel sink and they dry overnight. They are expensive but I have a pair or two that are at least 2 years old and they are still going strong. Depending on your thigh/waist ratio it might be worth sizing down. The elastic will wear out faster but they will not buch up at all.

If this summer's tick population is anything like last year's, I am going to invest in a few pairs of compression tights to wear under my short when hiking. It is going to be hot and awful but I suspect lime disease would be more awful.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Whenever I wear waders I wear under armour tights and socks. Won't bunch up, fairly thin and comfortable.

However Walmart has starter brand compression shorts that go below the knee, they're good and shouldn't ride up either. Just not as warm as the tights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

Cotton is a no-no. When I get wet rides on choppy waters, I like the fast-dry of synthetics.

Thanks for the recommendations; I need to get another pair because the elastic on mine is worn out.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I don't like cotton, if it gets wet it stays wet. Synthetic is ok but a good old fashioned jock strap works well. Hot summer weather a swim suit with mesh liner is fine. But it is usually nylon fishing shorts for me, anything under that is optional.
                            HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

I switched to these a while ago.. Kind of expensive but REAL comfortable, some compression but not too much, not like the UA boxer-briefs.. though I have some of the UA ones as well. I prefer 3/4 thigh length myself but they have mid thigh ones as well. THis is a great company, they make REAL well made clothes for working in.. I have their shirts, pants, shoes, undies.. everything.

Check out the semi stretch pants, they are water resistant and stretch a bit but like normal pants. I wear them when I need something long on my legs on a kayak.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...efs-76713.aspx
                              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Working...
                              X