J-Bay Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Bay Questions

Hey folks. This year will be my first trip to J-Bay and I have a few logistic questions. 1). How far is it to the kayak launch from the camp grounds and is there trailer parking? 2). Are there restroom facilities for women and how far away are they? 3). Are we staging on the Tarmac or at the camp grounds? 4). How do you handle your food situation; what to bring...grill, etc

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Kit Kat

2015 Super Bowl winning N. E. PATRIOT FAN!!!
    okay, please forgive me for shouting.
    2015 Outback
    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

This might help. FAQ's from the 2014 JBay tournament site. I think it will help.

FAQ’s

Does the tournament site have an address I can put into my GPS
    Yes, 1 Aviation Rd Brooklyn, NY 11234
    Link to Google Map

How can I get to the event with a camper or trailer?
    LIE to Woodhaven Blvd. South take it over the Cross Bay Bridge (pay toll) then take Beach Channel Drive West/bear left and go over Marine Park Bridge (pay toll)..Park entrance is right after bridge on right.

Are generators allowed in the camping area?
    Yes, but they must be turned OFF from 10pm until 5am.

Will there be any electrical to recharge things like cameras and fishfinder batteries?
    No, it is a good idea to have a car charger or inverter for anything you might need to charge.

Do I need a New York State Fishing License?
    You need to register at http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html for the Recreational Marine Fishing Registry.

Do I need any special permits to take part in the event?
    Paid participants will be issued a 4 day permit at sign-in for camping and launch privileges. It will need to be displayed in your car window at all times.

Do I have to wear a Life Jacket while on the water?
    Yes! Tournament rules require a Class III Life Jacket worn at all times while on the water, you also need a whistle or other sounding device.

Do I need to have 360deg/All Around Light?
    Yes! Tournament rules require participants to display a 360 degree Light, visible for 2 miles between one ½ hour before sunset and one ½ hour after sunrise and other periods of reduced visibility. (Fog, rain, haze, etc.) .

Are non fishing participants allowed at the event?
    Yes. There is a non fishing early bird registration fee of $75 dollars.

How early can I get to the park?
    Participants will be allowed to entry the park at 6am Thursday for the event.
    No one is permitted to setup campsites on the Tarmac prior to 6am Thursday.

What is the camping site like?
    Some people camp in the small wooded area next to the parking lot but space is limited and many choose to set up a tent on the pavement next to their vehicle, an inflatable mattress might be a good thing to bring. Also, some heavy items to hold the tent is a good idea. (IE. Water buckets, Sand Bags, Dumbbells)

Is my gear going to be safe?
    We have not had any incidents in the past but common sense should be used when leaving your stuff unattended.

Can I bring my camper?
    Campers and pop-up trailers are allowed. When traveling on NY roads avoid all parkways but trailers are allowed on expressways.

Are there any hotels nearby?
    Yes, The closest are:
    Comfort Inn located at 3218 Emmons Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11235 - 718-368-3334
    Best Western located at 3003 Emmons Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11235 - 718-769-5000

When does the event officially start?
    The actual tournament starts on Friday 12noon (after 11am captains meeting - recommended) to 6pm, Saturday 5am to 7pm, Sunday 5am to 12noon.

Do I have to attend the Captain’s Meetings?
    We strongly recommend you attend the meetings but it's not mandatory.

Must I fish all 3 days?
    No. You can fish any one or all three days.

Is there shopping near the campground?
    Yes, just turn right outside the park and go down Flatbush Ave and you find many stores and restaurants. There is a Radio Shack for electronics and many places to get ice.

Are there any tackle shops nearby?
    Yes,
    Cross Bay Tackle 16-426 Cross Bay Blvd, Howard Beach, NY 11414-3742
    www.crossbaybaitandtackle.com
    Bernie’s Bait & Tackle 3035 Emmons Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
    www.berniesfishing.com

I am not familiar with the Jamaica Bay and don’t really know where to fish, can someone give me some help as to where to go?
    Sure, just speak to one of the tournament staff and they can show you on a chart, but most of the time you will be able to see where many of the Anglers are going. At both Captains meetings on Friday there will be a presentation on fishing JBay. Specific areas, proven techniques, wind, tides and safety will be covered as well as an opportunity to ask questions. We recommend that you fish with a buddy. If you do not have one, see George or Jerry and they will help to set you up with one.

Are there bathrooms?
    Yes, we will have Porta-Johns at the event.

Are there showers at the campground?
    We wish! Bring jugs of water for drinking. We suggest also bringing hand sanitizer and wipes to stay fresh.

Is there a Fresh water supply?
    Yes, There will be series of garden hoses available near the main tent. This water is good for washing gear. This water is from a fire hydrant, this is not Potable water.

Do I have to be present for the raffle drawing to win prizes?
    Yes, you will have to be present or pass your ticket to a friend to claim your prize.

Can I keep any fish that I catch?
    You can keep any legal fish but any fish kept during the competition cannot be entered toward prizes.

If I have an emergency on the water what should I do?
    Call the USCG on VHF #16

Call 911

Call Gateway Park Police 718-338-3988

For Non- Emergency please use VHF #6 or you can call this number (631) 484-0806
    The Event Staff will be monitoring VHF#6
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Thanks Jimmy, I appreciate your getting back to me. I know I'm not the only newbie going so we can all use this info to plan. I can't wait.
      2015 Outback
      2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Will be a first time for me also. Looking forward to it!
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for posting and thanks for the really helpful answers. Looking forward to fishing up north and what a better way to start a season.

Comment

Working...
          X