Video showing FF/GPS installation on a Slayer Propel 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video showing FF/GPS installation on a Slayer Propel 10

I have no prior experience in creating instructional videos and could not find anyone with a modern easy-to-use video camera to film me. So with some trial and error, I filmed more than 30 short segments of video yesterday using my Canon digital camera. This morning I edited them into a 20-min video showing how I installed a FF/GPS in my Slayer Propel 10. The video is far from professional quality, but does explain my thought process and show my methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4koUEnik.

As I point out in the video, there is not just one right way to install electronics. Each user must find the method that meets his/her needs, capabilities, and usability. The Duct Seal shoot-through-the-hull method shown here has worked beautifully for me on 4 previous electronics installations. It does not require making any holes in my kayak and requires just a wire stripper and crimper tool. Duct Seal costs about $3 per one-lb brick. I used three bricks plus a new $4 plastic box.

The first half of the video covers my thoughts on selecting electronics and on basic installation approaches. The second half shows the step-by-step installation.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Good job, John.

You've taken some of the mystery (for me) away from the topic with your intro and your installation process was very straightforward.

You've got me leaning a bit toward lighting up this spring.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark -

If you do install electronics you will wonder why you waited so long. You can learn so much more about where you are and what things look like underneath when you have the electronics. I am convinced that having both FF and GPS, learning how to use them, and paying attention to the data have made me a more successful fisherman.

Let me know when you decide to install -- I will lend a hand and some moral support.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'll need your moral support before I take a drill to my baby!

But you are convincing me more and more.

Many thanks.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well done John.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

For someone with little video experience, you did a great job John. I can't wait to try mine out.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Great video John!
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X