Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred line on baitcaster?

Okay, I realize I'm about to ask a Ford/Chevy question, but here it goes:

As a follow-up to my post about which bait casting reel to look at, do those of you who use them regularly prefer braid, mono, fluoro, hybrid, etc? I'll tell you that the majority of my spinning and all of my trolling reels have braid. I keep a couple lighter spinning reels (1000-2000's) spooled with Vanish, a fluorocarbon hybrid, for fishing in Florida when the water is clear. The one baitcaster I have played with is spooled with braid that is probably a little too heavy and probably causes part of my trouble.

The plan would be to use the reel for throwing top water one cast and trolling a 3/8 oz jighead and bass assassin the next.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

I am primarily a largemouth bass fisherman and I use monofilament 90% of the time. I tend to go fairly heavy to overcome the inherent stretch that mono has. I have had 6 pound largemouth bass go haywire inside submerged laydowns before. While my line can get cut on a sharp edge they can't break it. I have been using mono since the 70's so I have built up a lot of trust in that type of line (old dog who does not like new tricks).

Braid, as you have probably found out, is not very abrasion resistant so many will want to use a leader of mono or flourocarbon. I find that connection between the braid and the leader can be a weak link so I am not a big fan of that setup although I do see the advantages braid provides. Every season I watch other anglers break off fish with braid and a leader.

I have found flourocarbon to be unreliable for my fishing. Flouro inherently has poor tensile strength. For instance if you stretch flouro on a snag it may have significantly weakened the line (with no visible sign). Knot strength is also something of an issue with flouro, see this video for the recommended knot for flouro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I905PXIYww

note: flouro, because it sinks, may mess up the action of some top water baits.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I used to run braid on my casters with a leader, mainly because the braid has no memory and casted farther. But the extra knot does cause issues. This past season i completely ditched braid. On my flipping rod i run 20lb flouro. Everyrhing else is P-line. Mono coated with flouro. I dont plan on going back to braid any time soon.
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I use a hybrid on my baitcasters - Tuf-Line Supercast 10lb test with fluoro leader. Tie the leader on with a simple double surgeon's knot.

Comment

12 pound Trilene XL.

I've been using the Trilene for years and never felt compelled to change.

Trilene is quite elastic and excellent for top water.

I also use it as tippet on my leaders when fly fishing for stripers.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Braid with either mono or fluoro leader, depending on what I'm targeting. I will sometimes just tie jig heads right onto the braid.

Comment

So it sounds like there is no clear winner here which is good news in my opinion. Sounds like I can fish whatever I like without major headaches. I just want to give this whole experience the best possible chance of success.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
              X