• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayaker rescued in the upper Potomac

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loca...aker/22698243/

Anyone know if this was a Snaggedliner?
    Mike

Wow. Hope he is okay. The water guage for little falls showed a spike but never higher than abt 3.9 feet last sat. Although i have not yet kayak harper ferry rapids but that shouldn't be more than class II. I think there's one or two spots rated class III. My guess he flipped into the frigid waters and panicked. I hope to find the whole story.
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2014...k-md/18788813/

Same thing happened back in nov 4, 2014. Exact same area. Helicopter rescued two kayakers. Damn. Im gonna have to drive over and inspect that area before i do the float trip.
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

They were probably hunting. That area around the 340 bridge can be very dangerous when the river gets near caution levels as it has been for a month or more. The water down the Maryland side right now is almost class three and this is the same favorite spot of the white water kayakers for learning, if that tells you anything.

Guys go out in this spot in SinK's and get into trouble. Killing a few birds is not worth your life, but it takes these moments to teach some guys.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

So glad that was not me. It can happen quick so always wear your PFD. Hope you make a speedy recovery whoever you are!

Comment

It can be a bad area back when I was young and dumb took a Canoe through there and flipped it just south of harpers ferry lost a lot of gear and a paddle water was way higher than we had business being in
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Theres a spot just south from the dangerous rapids you can launch from and float down to brunswick canpground or further south if you wanted to. You will just have to carry/drag your kayak maybe 200yrd through a foot trail. Its not the easiest and better to do it with someone because there are some big logs on the trail. I have done it with my pro angler, an outback, and a 16' canoe all full of gear and a cooler with lunch so its not too bad with help.

Hopefully that guy is fine.
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
              X