No announcement yet.

Car (SUV) topping a Pro Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im gonna have a car top part for a Thule rack (square bars only) at the Flea Market tomorrow...it extends from your bars and lets you rest the bow on this extended piece of metal and you pick up the stern and slide it over.

Never used (we came up with a better plan) for $60.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
      You could try 1 of these Bed extenders if you have a trailer hitch I use it if I am going somewhere close http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-b...der-69650.html
      just make sure to use a 20 or 25% off coupon when you get it.
      Thanks. I actually have the same one and have had it for very long time...actually had it since before I even started kayak fishing almost 10 years ago. However, I recently modified it and use it upside down sometimes...On my pickup truck with the tailgate up, I place one end resting on my cross bed tool box on a piece of thick foam and the other on the upside down hitch extender. I am just worried about the rare possibility of getting rear ended by a large truck and having the kayak fly through my back window. It would be the best system for me if I can put one of those headache racks to cover the back window because it seems to allow me to get the best fuel economy possible on all my long trips and it is very easy for me to load without hurting my back.

For short trips, I agree you could stick it right in the bed on the hitch extender. This definitely the easiest way, especially if you have an 8' bed. But be careful with that...there are actually laws which require your kayak be illuminated at night if it sticks out past a certain distance.

Comment

Be careful prior to purchasing a roof top carrier. They all have weight limitations, some have width limitations. I have a Hulavator and it works great with my cuda 14. The width limitation is 32", weight limitation is 80lbs.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
          Be careful prior to purchasing a roof top carrier. They all have weight limitations, some have width limitations. I have a Hulavator and it works great with my cuda 14. The width limitation is 32", weight limitation is 80lbs.
          I have the mako saddles and hully rolllers. The makos, hulavators and similar style carriers just do not work well with heavier fishing kayaks like the outback, ride135, and definitely not working for a PA. Most of those style saddles are only good for much lighter kayaks. I find the foam blocks to work best and they make them in a range of sizes. They fit pretty well on my tracrac crossbars.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakie_Noodle View Post
            I tried loading my slayer 13 on our jeep once, then a few hours later I bought a truck. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            . I like your style! That's part of why I keep my old truck around. She's not pretty but she is functional.

I've got a PA 12 and would not wat to throw it on top of a car. Also, you need to check what your rack is rated for. Just got my FIL a Yakima on Q Towers for Christmas and I think it's only rated for 100 lbs. the pa 12 is around 110, I think.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Car (SUV) topping a Pro Angler

I looked at the weight limit and for the q towers and I think it 165lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gafisherman View Post
                I looked at the weight limit and for the q towers and I think it 165lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Maybe it was just his setup? I remember thinking it sounded really light.
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I have a pa14 and an Nissan exterra. I trailer now but it was a bear to put on top. I use very wide straps in the middle and on the ends to be secure

Comment

Working...
                  X