Car (SUV) topping a Pro Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car (SUV) topping a Pro Angler

I'm looking to possibly move up from my Revo to a Pro Angler. Eventually I want to get a trailer for it, but that's not in the budget right now.
    Anybody have experience throwing the PA on top of an SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe). I have no problems with the Revo up there now. I'm in fairly good shape and this wouldn't be a long term thing, maybe just one fishing season until I get enough funds to purchase a trailer.

I use the Yakima racks with the Mako and Hully Rollers. I think it would be ok, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience and could give advice.

Thanks!

I think there are a few guys on the forum that car top a PA. Are you talking a PA-12 or 14? The Revo 13 hull is about 70#, the PA-12 hull is about 110# and the 14 is about 140# so you will be dealing with an additional 40 - 70 pounds not considering anything you have in the kayak. The PA is much wider and would be more unwieldy trying to load alone. I have two PA-14's and I trailer. When I bought #1, I transported it in the back of a pick up - one time, a few days later I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their trailers on sale. No way I would put a 14 on top of my vehicle, others manage it but a trailer is my preferred way to transport.
    HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Rhino rack now sells the nautical kayak lifter that allows you to put the Pro-Angler on your roof. See it on you tube. I am thinking about getting it.
      2015 Outback
      2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

I'm thinking about the PA 14. I am going to the Balt boat show to check out the new outback too, but I love the idea of eventually getting a trailer, loading the boat the night before, covering it with a cover so when I'm ready to fish I just hook up to trailer and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will check out the rhino lifter too. Could be a good option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, it looks like a great invention. However, $700 is a lot of money for something like this. Falls into the category of "why didn't I think of that first". I only have the outback, but I get horrible recurring muscle strains in my upper back when I lift something wrong. I think I have a good winter time project in mind from seeing this if I can make some time to work on it.

Comment

I car topped my pa 14 and pa 12 for the longest time until I got my truck this past year. I had a system down it was pretty easy.

Comment

However, $700 is a lot of money for something like this.
                Depends on what you want to do and budget, not to mention age and physical condition, but that is one reason I put together a Harbor Freight 4'x8' trailer for about $300. It is also easier (and quicker) to launch and load a PA, and you can leave most equipment in the kayak until you get home.

This is the original version. I have changed it a few times, now it is 4'x12' (bought another trailer kit for parts) and I have PVC bunks now for the two PA's. Went to Florida a couple weeks ago and added a second tier to hold a 3rd Outback, which worked well, 2100 miles without an issue with the second level. I did however purchase 3 new tires before the trip, because the tires that come with the kit are not that great, 2 ply, 55 MPH rated. I bought high speed tires for the trip down I-95 and had no issues at all with running interstate speeds. There are other trailer options available but the Harbor Freight trailer is pretty cheap if you don't mind spending several hours putting it together.

This is the 4' x 12' version that is convertible for a single or dual PA hauler. The upper level comes off to haul a single. Takes about 5 minutes to take it off if you disassemble the 5 components by yourself. If you have help, it take no time at all to remove 2 lag screws and lift the 2nd level off in one piece.

My point being that the Harbor Freight trailers lend themselves to considerable customization to fit your needs. The newest version is black because I painted it with bed liner for added corrosion protection and I hated the red.

Single PA configuration of the 4' x 12' trailer. The big reason I extended the trailer length to 12' was to make it considerably easier to back up and eliminate some of the rear overhang of the PA-14.
                Last edited by bruce19365; 01-30-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Bruce,
                  What's the speed rate on the trailer (tires)?

Thank you
                  Joe
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I have a trailer that my outback will fit inside, but it is just not worth it for me to haul a trailer with all the long distance trips I do to go fishing. Seems like that trailer is a good inexpensive option for some. I can drive normal highway speeds with my trailer, but the harbor freight one seems like it would slow you down on the highway quite a bit. Plus parking can be an issue many places I fish. I have a good idea now for loading the outback onto the ladder rack of my truck much easier and without risking injury to my back...can't believe I did not think about it before seeing that kayak lifter.

Comment

The tires I purchased were Load Star 5.30x12, load range C, 6 ply rated, "high speed" (no actual MPH rated) and we ran 70 MPH on I-95. The original HF tires are 4.80x12, 4 ply rated, load range B, 55 MPH rated as a comparison. I bought them at Eastern Marine in Newark, DE with galvanized rims for $52/each.

As JohnE noted above, if you do not upgrade the tires running the highway or Interstates may be difficult. I would not trust the tires that come with the trailer to run extended highway speeds. However, with the upgraded tires, as I noted, we ran 70 MPH steady and no issues. The original tires are fine for local and short trips, but I was hauling 3 kayaks and added weight to the trailer for a second tier to carry an Outback above the two PA's so the added weight capacity of the new tires helped.

Comment

I have a high rack on my pick up (higher than most SUV's) and the PA 14 goes on easy . just load from the rear.
                        I put the front of the kayak up on the rear bar then grab the back of kayak lift and slide it forward to the front bar . I can have it off or on in about 30 seconds. Strapping it down takes a little longer. I carry it right side up. And I can lock it to the bed with a 6' Rhino cable.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                          I have a high rack on my pick up (higher than most SUV's) and the PA 14 goes on easy . just load from the rear.
                          I put the front of the kayak up on the rear bar then grab the back of kayak lift and slide it forward to the front bar . I can have it off or on in about 30 seconds. Strapping it down takes a little longer. I carry it right side up. And I can lock it to the bed with a 6' Rhino cable.
                          This is also what I do most of the time with my yaks, but it easier with a longer yak. The outback is on the short side and a little bit awkward to get up there, so that is why I was thinking about making some type of lift to prevent injuring my back. I would just stick it in the bed if I still had a truck with 8' bed...I always keep a cross bed toolbox on my trucks and it just sticks out too far on my new truck.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                            This is also what I do most of the time with my yaks, but it easier with a longer yak. The outback is on the short side and a little bit awkward to get up there, so that is why I was thinking about making some type of lift to prevent injuring my back. I would just stick it in the bed if I still had a truck with 8' bed...I always keep a cross bed toolbox on my trucks and it just sticks out too far on my new truck.
                            You could try 1 of these Bed extenders if you have a trailer hitch I use it if I am going somewhere close http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-b...der-69650.html
                            just make sure to use a 20 or 25% off coupon when you get it.

Comment

Very nice looking trailer.

I saw a video on YouTube for kayak rack poles that assist with loading. Basically just two poles that stick out perpendicular off the sides allowing you to lift the front up, then go and lift the back up and slide the yak over the car.

I tried loading my slayer 13 on our jeep once, then a few hours later I bought a truck. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                              Tarpon 120
                              Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                              25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                              Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Working...
                              X