Need your input on striped bass regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your input on striped bass regulations

As you may know, the regulations for the Chesapeake bay striped bass fishery in 2015 are still not set. I received the following proposed regulation options from a charter captain friend and he asked that I share for further input.

Summary of Proposed Measures for Maryland’s Striped Bass Recreational Fishery

Maryland Chesapeake Bay Trophy Fishery

Option a) 1 fish, 36” min, 3rd Saturday of April - May 15

Option b) 1 fish, 36” min, 3rd Saturday of April – May 15, charter boats allowed 1 fish 28" - 36” per boat. This option does not allow an extra fish for an individual, but rather the allowance of one individual onboard to possess a fish between 28 - 36” in lieu of a 36" fish.

Option c) 2 fish, (1) fish 36"-40" and (1) fish 40" or >

Option d) 2 Fish, (1) fish 28" - 36" and (1) fish 42" or >

Option e) 1 Fish, (1) fish 28" - 36" or (1) fish 40" or 41" or > (size to be determined after review of DNR data)
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Seems like Option (a) would return more of the large breeding cows to the water.

That or any option that would release more proven breeders would be my preference.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Seems like Option (a) would return more of the large breeding cows to the water.

That or any option that would release more proven breeders would be my preference.
      ^agree
      Jackson
      Jackson Cuda 12
      Field and Stream SOT
      "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

My honest opinion is there needs to be a slot, but that's not going to happen. My charter Capt friend agreed too
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          My honest opinion is there needs to be a slot, but that's not going to happen. My charter Capt friend agreed too
          I'd like to see a slot limit for both trophy and regular season.

1 fish between 28 and 36 inches for trophy season.
          1 fish between 18 and 27 inches for regular season.

Any fish 40 inches or over goes back into the drink.
          2014 Hobie Pro Angler
          2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

I'm with option f slot 24"-30" 1 per day. I hope they don't make the same ridiculous regs that NJ is pushing through...
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Personally, I'd like to see the start date of trophy season pushed back until no earlier than May 1. It's tough watching those breeders get hammered whenever there is a late spawn because of cool water temps in the spring.
              Brian

Comment

I like Jars option ........... The only problem is the MSSA will block it because they have to kill the biggest cows in their tournaments

I'd also like to see a June 10 or later start date and only use of barbless hooks

Comment

I honestly don't like any of them. While I understand the desire to have the opportunity to catch a big Striper in the Spring it would be nice to see them released at least for one year(32"+. The numbers just seem to dwindle and dwindle and this doesn't save the Cows from the Fall massacre that occurs down south near the mouth of the bay.

I like Jar's proposal but I might even make the slots a little tighter:
                  1 fish between 28 and 32 inches for trophy season.
                  1 fish between 22 and 27 inches for regular season.

But subsequent years would slide down or up to give fish a chance to make it out of the slot. Because in effect what we will be doing is targeting a specific age of fish and less and less will live to grow outside of it. I hope that makes some kind of sense. And MSSA needs to switch to C&R I really don't understand why they are so against it.

Comment

Working...
                  X