Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for someone with a video camera and editing skills to make a training video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for someone with a video camera and editing skills to make a training video

Many Snaggedline members have installed their own electronics using a variety of techniques. I have installed transducers on 3 different kayaks and several power boats using various methods.

Last winter I installed a FF/GPS on my Slayer Propel 13 using a shoot-through-the-hull Duct Seal putty installation. While doing that, I wrote an installation guide giving step-by-step instructions and lots of photos. That was a good start, but it seems that many kayak anglers, especially in the younger generation, prefer learning from a video format. I do not own a GoPro or other modern sports video camera. My video camera is old (8 mm digital tapes) and does not connect easily to my computer. Plus, I have no skill in video editing.

I am looking for someone with a modern video camera who will come to my house (Annapolis area) to film me doing an installation of a brand new Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 FF/GPS on my Slayer Propel 10. I intend to use the same type of installation (Duct Seal putty - dry style). The volunteer would edit the video footage down to less than 10 minutes, with the resulting video to be suitable as a training aid for anyone wanting to make an installation using the same transducer mounting method. Although the installation would be done on a Native kayak, the technique is easily transferable to other brands. There is no need for flashy video effects (unless you can make me more photogenic) or catchy music.

The video would be made available at no cost via social media to interested parties. If any Snaggedline members are interested in helping me with this project, please contact me.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I'm looking for someone to help me with the same thing. Although the film I want to do is not about fishing.

Comment

John, I think I can help you.
      Not with high professional equipment but we have lots of options with less simpler camera equipment and editing software in todays Video world.

Will give you a call when back in town and we can try some ideas that I think you want.
      This video was done with an and very inexpensive camera and ipad app remotely while traveling
      http://youtu.be/AxCbHugoxiQ

Frank Tuma - YouTube
      www.youtube.com/user/DownTime2007
      Videos and information on Sportfishing the Chesapeake Bay onboard the Down Time.
      <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
      Capt. Frank Tuma
      www.DownTimeCharters.com
      Native Slayer Propel

Comment

Originally posted by DownTIme View Post
        John, I think I can help you.
        Not with high professional equipment but we have lots of options with less simpler camera equipment and editing software in todays Video world.

Will give you a call when back in town and we can try some ideas that I think you want.
        This video was done with an and very inexpensive camera and ipad app remotely while traveling
        http://youtu.be/AxCbHugoxiQ

Frank Tuma - YouTube
        www.youtube.com/user/DownTime2007
        Videos and information on Sportfishing the Chesapeake Bay onboard the Down Time.
        Frank -

Thanks for the offer. When I had no replies to my initial request after a week, I went ahead and made the video on my own using the video feature of my regular digital camera. It took lots of splicing and editing of a bunch of short clips, but the video came out okay for my first effort.

The final video can be viewed at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=XdT4koUEnik
        Last edited by J.A. Veil; 02-27-2015, 09:46 AM.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

....... I get a message that the server cannot be found

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            ....... I get a message that the server cannot be found
            Thanks for the heads up -- I revised the link.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

John, I'd be willing to help in the future if you need anything. I'm currently serving in AmeriCorps until the end of July, so if anything comes up around then I'd be willing to help out.

Jake
              J

Comment

Jake -

Thanks for the offer.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

John,

Your video is very informative and well thought out. You're a great presenter!

Mike
                  <MIKE>
                  Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
                  Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Originally posted by <MIKE> View Post
                    John,

Your video is very informative and well thought out. You're a great presenter!

Mike
                    Thanks Mike. Although I have not done other training videos, I have made nearly 400 technical presentations on water and energy topics at conferences around the world over the past 30 years. I guess some of that practice helped a bit.

I don't have the interest or patience to do videos for trip reports, however. Many of our younger members seem to favor the video format -- maybe this is a generational factor.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

John, you def speak well on camera. It's not as easy as it seems

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

casey davis 443-223-3065 has equip editing and kayak experienced

Comment

I can do some video editing, but my camera is the Sony ActionCam. Not professional grade, but still very good quality video. I do however have nice video editing software and a good computer to run it. I did some videos of the dog just playing around with editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV34ywSIAdk

I can do time mod, PiP objects, image correction, etc. I am better with video than with audio editing, but for the purposes of video I can split it up, adjust volumes, etc. I can't synthisize voice to make you sound like batman though...

Comment

Working...
                          X