Roaches Run, winter fishing spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaches Run, winter fishing spot?

Anyone here familiar with Roaches Run? I have driven by it numerous times and always thought I should plan a trip there (but never got around to it).

Anyway, there is no warm water discharge into Roaches Run, right? Somebody posted something to that effect on another forum.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Just copied this from a fishing report from Charley Tayler published in November.
    The warm water discharge from the Pentagon, dumping into the pond at Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary, is holding nice bass on the outgoing tide, while crappie are holding there on incoming tides. Small, shallow draft boats are necessary, as the water is very shallow adjacent to the parking lot, off the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
    The full report is here: http://www.charlietaylorfishing.com/...11-21-2014.htm

Comment

Thanks Capt C-Hawk!
      Dave

Comment

I have fished there a few times each Nov/Dec for the past few years. The first year I caught tons of 10-14 inch crappie. Maybe one more time did I do that well, and since it has tapered off. I launch from the parking lot and fish to the right and across from the lot. There is a discharge in the back right corner, but I have only caught tiny 4-8 inch bass there on small jigs. To the right of the parking lot is a shallower area that goes from 2-6 feet with a lot of cover. When I can't find any crappie I head over there and manage to find some yellow perch and bluegill.
        Green Old Town Loon 111
        Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

thanks mepps3!
          Dave

Comment

So would this spot be ice free and fishable in the winter? I wouldnt mind fishing it one day
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
              So would this spot be ice free and fishable in the winter? I wouldnt mind fishing it one day
              I'm thinking of driving down there today just to take a look at the ice situation, I will let you know.
              Dave

Comment

stopped by Roaches Run today just to scope the area out on foot

easy access to the water from the parking lot

no ice on the water!

here is the water discharge, should have brought a thermometer, while it is not a "warm water" discharge in the classic sense it felt like this water flowing in was warmer than the 35 - 38 degree temperatures I have been seeing on the tidal potomac

going back tomorrow with the kayak and I will report back with water temperature, depth and hopefully a picture or two of a largemouth bass, wish me luck!
                Dave

Comment

Don't forget the crappies, and if you should snag a mud shad save it for the cats. Good luck

Comment

That looks great. Tha ks for the recon. This will definately be a trip soon
                    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Turtle - Thats for the pictures. I've never fished there and know practically nothing about Roaches Run, although I fish Fletchers a lot during the spring shad runs. Judging from the exposed shoreline shown in the pictures, I'm guessing there is at least a 1 or 2 foot change in tide there in the lake.

I just goggled a satellite map of the area and there seems to be a very muddy plume of water entering the Roaches Run lake. Anyone know if this happens a lot there? Who knows though... maybe there was a heavy down-pour shortly before to satellite image was taken.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                        Anyone here familiar with Roaches Run? I have driven by it numerous times and always thought I should plan a trip there (but never got around to it).

Anyway, there is no warm water discharge into Roaches Run, right? Somebody posted something to that effect on another forum.
                        I have fished back there a lot....Don't waste your time... There are no crappie, bass, snakeheads, cats, or carp back there... Trust me

Comment

Got to Roaches Run this morning to find it largely covered in ice. Had to hack through about 75 yards of this to find the open water.

The water coming in through the Pentagon discharge was about 40 - 41 degrees. Not enough to keep the ice at bay for more than about 30 feet. The north west corner of the pond was free of ice and I found some areas with a surface temperature of 37 - 38 degrees. Dragged a jig and threw a suspending jerkbait for about five hours but no bites. Max depth I encountered was 9.5 feet. I believe the sun yesterday made all the difference in the world. By the time I got there yesterday any ice from the night before was gone. Today with overcast skies, the ice held (however by late afternoon a lot of it had melted).
                          Dave

Comment

Thanks for the report. Always appreciated ur postings. Sorry for skunking out that day.
                            Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Excellent job Dave. Way to put the work in and get out there to a new spot. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of your next 20 inch bass.

Comment

Working...
                              X