Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a pair of chain pickerel and lip gripper question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a pair of chain pickerel and lip gripper question?

I found a window in the iced over Severn tribs yesterday and caught two chainsiders on 3" plastics in about 1.5 hours on the water. It was nice to get out and remember how to paddle...

Question on gear, since I lost my second set of Boga's i have been looking for a cheaper alternative. I am not satisfied with the plastic, as they don't have a great shape. Has anyone used a "Boga knock-off" that they like and won't injure the jaw/lips of the fish? I use the gripper for shad,specs,stripers, pickerel, et.al...

Thanks and stay safe from Maryland drivers on slippery roads!

ST

20150125_131027.jpg

Never used one but the lucid fish grips look nice. I just wish they made a 15 lb version. And I don't mean to be a smarta$$ but you could also leash your boga or attach a float to it....
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice pick ...

Comment

photo 3 (4).jpg

I've been using a $25 BPS grip:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...SSSELL_PRODUCT

I have the plastic one you're using also, but have had some fish slip off and find it awkward to use. Nice pickerel btw.
        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
        Northern Pike: 24 inches
        Crappie: 12 inches
        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Scott -

Congratulations on getting out when most of us were indoors. That is a great looking pickerel. Regarding lip grippers, I have the plastic ones in large and small size (Note: I used the small plastic ones to hold redfish and trout in Florida last week) and a Boga Grip clone that I bought for $10 at Herb's Tackle shop in Northeast a few years ago. For most fish, the plastic ones work better for me. But if the fish has a small mouth (perch, spot) or has a tightly clamped jaw (many pickerel and flounder), it is difficult to get the plastic gripper inside. With some extra effort, you can get the plastic grip in their mouths, but it does keep the fish out of water longer (only an issue for catch and release).
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Scott,

Congrats on the catches.

Great photo.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Scott -

Congratulations on getting out when most of us were indoors. That is a great looking pickerel. Regarding lip grippers, I have the plastic ones in large and small size (Note: I used the small plastic ones to hold redfish and trout in Florida last week) and a Boga Grip clone that I bought for $10 at Herb's Tackle shop in Northeast a few years ago. For most fish, the plastic ones work better for me. But if the fish has a small mouth (perch, spot) or has a tightly clamped jaw (many pickerel and flounder), it is difficult to get the plastic gripper inside. With some extra effort, you can get the plastic grip in their mouths, but it does keep the fish out of water longer (only an issue for catch and release).
              John,

I've only ever seen one size of plastic grips. Would the ones shown in Scott's picture be considered the small or large ones? Any pictures/links to the differences between the two?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Nice fish. Sorry to hear about your Bocas. I was watching a fishing show last week and the guy lost a $400 pair when the fish thrashed around.

I use the plastic ones and would agree they aren't always the easiest to use, even with somewhat big hands. I have always chalked it up to the learning curve for timing when to grab the fish as the mouth opens. Without fail they always seem to lock that jaw at the same time as they calm down.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                  John,

I've only ever seen one size of plastic grips. Would the ones shown in Scott's picture be considered the small or large ones? Any pictures/links to the differences between the two?
                  Here is a photo of the Fish Grip, the Fish Grip Jr, and my Boga grip clone. In the second photo, you can see that the jaws of the Fish Grip Jr are smaller, and therefore easier to get into a fish's mouth. (Plus it was easier to pack in my luggage). That is the one I used last week to hold redfish, trout, and flounder.

004.jpg 005.jpg
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Beautiful fish. Always nice to see those January fish
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Here is a photo of the Fish Grip, the Fish Grip Jr, and my Boga grip clone. In the second photo, you can see that the jaws of the Fish Grip Jr are smaller, and therefore easier to get into a fish's mouth. (Plus it was easier to pack in my luggage). That is the one I used last week to hold redfish, trout, and flounder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14696[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]14697[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks! Didn't realize there was a "Fish Grip Jr". Might be worth adding to my arsenal.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I've got some of the plastic fish grips, and recently upgraded to the lucid fish grips. I'm very happy them. Not too hard on the wallet either
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X