Replacing Trebles on Hardbaits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Trebles on Hardbaits

I know this topic has been explored here before but I’m looking for specificity.

I would like to change the treble hooks to single hooks on my X Raps and Rat L Traps. I know the best options are in-line hooks.

But what size and brand in-line hooks should I use on 7/6 oz. X Raps and a ½ oz. Rat L Traps?

Thank you,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

+1 I am interested in doing the same thing if it can be done without altering the integrity/performance of the lure.

Comment

Not knowing the exact weight:
      I'd look at a 1/0 or 2/0 short shanked ring eyed hook and attach it with a size 2 or 3 split ring so it can move freely. You may have to experiment with sizes. I'd be inclined to use a hook that looks a little too big since it is replacing a treble.
      A Mustad 3407 is a readily available hook, and fairly sturdy if you plan on fishing the Rattletrap and X-Raps for Stripers.
      An open eyed hook connected directly to the lure may not allow the hook to fully swing.
      VMC does make an opened eyed hook #9171 if you want go that route.

Not what I would do (I'd just bend in two of the three hooks in towards the shank, or smash the barbs down), but I understand that it is "tinkering season". lol

Comment

I just got a package of VMC in-line hooks size 1/0 but haven't tried them yet. These allow the hooks to be installed without an additional split ring which some single hooks require. I'll post a pic when I get some installed.

Comment

I will bring two bags of small circle hooks to the flea market on Sat. You can stop by and see if they will work on your lures.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have a 25c bag of Matzuo size 6 and size 1 Open Eye Siwash hooks that I bought for a similar plan. I haven't had much luck preserving the lure's action and am interested to see if you have any more luck. I will also be at the flea market and can bring you selection of each if you would like.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I believe it is the in-line nature of the hook (the eye parallel to the shank) that would provide the necessary freedom of action to the hook without adding an additional split ring.

A 7/16 oz. X Rap has size 5 and size 6 treble hooks.

A 1/2 oz. Rat L Trap has size 4 and size 6 treble hooks.

My guess is that a conversion to non-trebles would require larger hooks to compensate for the lighter weight of single hooks. Otherwise the action of the lure may change beyond effectiveness.

I was hoping that someone here had done the actual switch and could comment from experience on the appropriate hook sizes to use.

The above hard baits are very effective for stripers as you all know. But removing them can be difficult, damaging to the fish and painful to the fisherman if the fish does not cooperate. I'm surprised these two popular crank baits do not come with single hook options. I wish they would. I think there would be a market for them.

The bend down option is a good one. I have already crushed the barbs but the hooks still can be a devil to remove if multiple hook points are in play.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

I've never actually done this, but when I looked into doing this in the past I seem to remember finding that the rule of thumb is that the hook gap on the single hook should match the point to point gap of the treble you are replacing. I think that a size 6 treble worked out to be a 2/0 single and a size 8 treble was a 1/0. So you could use that as a starting point. These were the hooks I was going to try: http://www.basspro.com/Owner-Single-...4071107420112/. They make larger sizes in a 3X strong version too.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  I'm surprised these two popular crank baits do not come with single hook options. I wish they would. I think there would be a market for them.
                  You have to remember that these lures are generally marketed as "Bass" lures. Probably not a real big market for these or demand for single hook models.
                  Since bass tend to get hooked near the outside of their mouths on most hard baits, they are sold with trebles.

A striper, on the other hand tends to engulf lures and many times get both sets of trebles hooked in them at the same time.
                  And getting that out is a pain in the butt, or hand if the fish decides to flop.
                  In addition to the bent-in trebles, I always carry a pair of forceps as a hook remover, if only to make taking the hook out should the fish hook me!

Comment

I do not know of anyone that has replaced treble hooks with singles on hard baits. I have put a #2 treble on the belly of 1/2 oz traps and removed the rear treble. That works and let's you concentrate on the one treble when unlocking a fish. I don't think circle hooks would work, but if anyone has done that I would be interested in how that worked out.
                    HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Originally posted by bruce19365 View Post
                      I do not know of anyone that has replaced treble hooks with singles on hard baits. I have put a #2 treble on the belly of 1/2 oz traps and removed the rear treble. That works and let's you concentrate on the one treble when unlocking a fish. I don't think circle hooks would work, but if anyone has done that I would be interested in how that worked out.
                      I know a bunch of people that do ........ Especially in salt water

Comment

Photo of LC Pointer 100 with VMC inline hooks size 1/0 attached.

My scale is not accurate enough to give exact weight differences but the trebles showed 1 gram and the singles showed 2 grams for the pair. I would need a better scale or a greater multiple of hooks to weigh since my scale rounds to the nearest gram.

LCP 100 Singles.jpg

Comment

Thanks to all who replied.

Good ideas and suggestions.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                            Photo of LC Pointer 100 with VMC inline hooks size 1/0 attached.

My scale is not accurate enough to give exact weight differences but the trebles showed 1 gram and the singles showed 2 grams for the pair. I would need a better scale or a greater multiple of hooks to weigh since my scale rounds to the nearest gram.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14703[/ATTACH]
                            Have you noticed any decrease in action or hookups?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                              Have you noticed any decrease in action or hookups?
                              Sorry, I haven't fished with it yet so I can't comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X