spinning rod setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinning rod setups

I have a plan for 3 bait casting rod/reels and 3 spinning. I need a little help on what's a good setup for freshwater combos. Feel free to brag about your arsenals so I can get a few ideas. My strategy is basically 1 worm/jig rod, spinnerbait/swimbait, and topwater. I have that basic setup already for my casting, but want 3 spinning to match

buy the most expensive reels you can afford, then pick up rods here and there as you figure out what you like.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

even better have them custom made, blanks are a lot cheaper than buying complete rods
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Carolina rig with a tube or Kinky Beaver, Senko, top water. Later in the season I'll swap the Senko with a 4-5" grub on a jig head and swim it across flats.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

What kind of price range are you looking at? What size and action rods are you interested in? I like ultra light and medium action rods with 500 (UL) and 1500-2500 (M-MH) size reels.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I have a St Croix Light rod 4-8 lb line I use for panfish. My other rod is a MH 6' Shimano Convergence I use for catfishing. I've always fished from shore, so this is my first time with a boat.

Comment

Personally I aim for expensive reels and cheaper rods. But its really up to your personal preference. The Berkley Cherry wood HD rods are a good option and something I personally use. At $25 dollars they are cheap and easy to replace but they have great sensitivity and action.
              Yellow Pompano 120

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                even better have them custom made, blanks are a lot cheaper than buying complete rods
                ........ Not really .......... While you can get cheap blanks, you can also get quality blanks ......... Try pricing CTS blanks or St Croix or Lamiglas or the Blanks that Gary Loomis makes ........ They are hundreds of dollars ........ Then there are the guides, thread, grips, reel seats, epoxy, finish, alcohol, paper towels, finish, rod wrappers, dryers etc.

Don't Expect to save money building a rod ......... Build it to get a better product for your own needs and the satisfaction of catching on something you built

Comment

Cowpokey suggested the Penn FRC3000 Combo for $80 and it's a good all around and does well with the saltwater. I can troll up to 1/4oz-1.5oz without too much trouble. I ended up getting two of them.

Comment

I freshwater fish with my saltwater stuff. Shimano teramar and compre rods, m to ml actions. I pair them with 2500-3000 series penn conflicts. Then i have a few fenwick ultra lite setups for mountain smallies and trout.

When I go for cheaper rods I really like the penn squadron rods for under $40

Comment

If you plan on using for freshwater majority of the time and casting a good bit, my suggestion is get the highest quality light reels you can. Sitting in a kayak holding a rod in your hand and casting it all day you'll appreciate it being light. The stradic ci4 are what I use in the 2500 and 3000 I don't believe in using reels much bugger than that.

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                        Cowpokey suggested the Penn FRC3000 Combo for $80 and it's a good all around and does well with the saltwater. I can troll up to 1/4oz-1.5oz without too much trouble. I ended up getting two of them.
                        I really like those reels. I don't have the combo; I put the reel on an Ugly Stik GX2 and plan to get a couple* more.

Edit add: *So I can troll 4 rods like Goody.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Im in disagreement....(but what do I know)

I think the rod is much more important than the reel, especially in Freshwater. If you do any sort of Jig fishing you need the right rod that you can load up on to get that big hook through the upper lip. Using a medium action rod in this situation would cause major difficulties. Same with any sort of cranking....you need a rod that is gonna give a little so those trebles take hold, and you need the right rod to play the fish back to the boat.

Ever watch the guys finesse fish (drop shot), how their spinning rods almost bend in two? Its cause with little hooks they want the rod to absorb all the action so those little hooks stay engaged.

Now Im not saying you have to spend big money....but you need the right rod for the right lure, or else youre wasting your time.

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                            Im in disagreement....(but what do I know)

I think the rod is much more important than the reel, especially in Freshwater. If you do any sort of Jig fishing you need the right rod that you can load up on to get that big hook through the upper lip. Using a medium action rod in this situation would cause major difficulties. Same with any sort of cranking....you need a rod that is gonna give a little so those trebles take hold, and you need the right rod to play the fish back to the boat.

Ever watch the guys finesse fish (drop shot), how their spinning rods almost bend in two? Its cause with little hooks they want the rod to absorb all the action so those little hooks stay engaged.

Now Im not saying you have to spend big money....but you need the right rod for the right lure, or else youre wasting your time.
                            So I need a MH 7' jig/worm spinning rod? I already have a casting jig/worm rod

Comment

Just picked up 2 of these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pen...colorFamily=99

Watch for a good "sale" on top of the current price. You can get an additional 40% off which brings the cost down to $55. each. Not bad for a Penn combo. Can't comment on them yet because I just ordered them a couple days ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X