Patuxent River trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent River trail

Anyone launch and fish from Queen Anne canoe launch on the Patuxent River Trail? How's fishing there? Would it be a good place to practice self rescue?

Yellow perch and cat fishing there is good, but better near Jug Bay. If you want company fishing or for the self rescue, I'd like to join you. I live not far from either place.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

If I remember correctly, the Queen Ann Launch requires a lock code to drive reasonably close to the launch. Same thing with Governors Bridge and seemingly most of the northern Pax river launches. This is assuming QA is the one by the 4-H centre, I have never launched there but hiked down to it over the summer.

I live pretty close to the northern Pax lunches but have been intimidated by the sometimes fast currents and isolation of these places. I have launched from Waysons Corner a bunch times and even a mile or two up from there it becomes decently challenging to fight the current up river. I would be concerned about my yak moving away from me faster then I could catch up to it.

All that being said, I would love to launch at one of the northern sites with others and with some care it could be a safe, if muddy, place to practice self rescue.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I'm willing to launch from any area that's safe, doesn't have to be Patuxent River trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey folks,
          The QA launch does need a code to open the lock to access, just get the code from the Visitor's Ctr, next to Jackson's Ldg, Jug Bay.... P G County. It's true that currents are strong @ QA so dont practice self- rescue there. Better places to practice are near Jackson's Ldg, Selby's Ldg or Magruder's Ferry. Boat launch permit is required for trailered boats, free for cartoppers. Again, the Visitor's Ctr is the place to buy permit & get code for gate lock. When practicing self rescue its best to do so with company & to time it for slacktide, then try it when tide is moving. Daily permits & annual are available.

Comment

Ok, I'm open to any other place. I just happen to find that one on Google maps

Comment

What about self rescue in Allen Pond?

Comment

Originally posted by EastSiideRyda View Post
                What about self rescue in Allen Pond?

No watercraft are allowed on Allen's Pond. There is Gilberts Run in Waldorf area that is trout stocked and watercraft are allowed. There is Wayson's Corner in Upper Marlboro.
                Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

Ok

Comment

Hi Peggy,
                    If and when the YP starting running (and the ice disappears ) I would be very interested in accompanying you at Jug Bay. Took possession of a Slayer 10 and am dying to get it in the water. Live in Annapolis, so would be an easy ride.
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Cool. I'm down. I first need to put my gear on and walk in the pool and try my gear out. I'm brand new at kayaking, and not a born water guy

Comment

Hi J. Rentch, I am so ready to join you! And Eastsiideryda, have no fear, we are just as paranoid and afraid of a fateful situation as you are.
                        Unfortunately, the yellows have spawned a few weeks back, from what I was told,
                        but maybe we can still get a few when the ice melts. I think once we get over this cold front it may warm up quick and we can go out soon. Call me when your ready!
                        Last edited by Pc4sun; 02-27-2015, 05:47 AM.
                        Peggy

Cobra Explorer

Comment

I'm ordering my dry pants and shoes today. My ride isn't rigged yet. I probably only bring 1 or 2 rods max with 1 small tackle box. I'll probably spend the first day out practicing paddling and standing

Comment

It has been years since I was at Jug Bay, it was a canoe trip from the 4-H center down and the "Muck" was almost up to your knee at the campsite! So that might be something to consider unless things have changed. Peggy let me know if you launch from Waysons I would be interested in tagging along.

eyedaddy

Comment

Does anyone know if Waysons or Jug Bay has opened up from the ice?

Comment

Working...
                              X