Potomac cats, 1/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac cats, 1/19

Kevin and I hit Marshall Hall in search of our January fish. The river wasn't too rough despite the high winds, so we launched around 10:30am. According to my GPS, we started at the end of flood and fished through the ebb to the beginning of the next flood tide, but it wasn't easy to tell what was going on by the current while we were out there. The water temp was 34*, which was about 4* colder than MLK Day last year when Kevin hooked a bunch of big cats.

We headed to the spot where we caught most of the fish back in December, but we didn't have any luck. We headed across the the river and found some fish. My typical deadpan expression is sometimes the source of some good-natured ribbing, so I decided to smile for the photo of my January fish:

Kevin hooked up shortly thereafter:

I caught two more blues in that area, one of which was quite small. Kevin ended up with a nice channel cat and one blue, I think. All of our action happened within about 30-45 minutes, then it died. We tried one other spot on the Virginia side before hitting one last spot on the Maryland side. We didn't have any luck at either spot despite seeing a fair number of marks. I had three types of bait: beef heart, frozen menhaden, and nightcrawlers. I'm not sure what Kevin ended up using, but all of our fish came were caught on nightcrawlers. It turned out to be a better day of catching than what I predicted given the wind, previous day's rain, and the water temperature. We even had some sun at the end.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Happy to catch some fish.......O was hopeful of a big haul, but I'll settle for what we got.
    Water was genuinely cold.....

Here is me wondering what in the world I am doing fishing in January...
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Bill hard at work

We had some company on the river

Comment

Nice work guys. After fishing in Florida last week in shirt sleeves, I am not real excited about getting bundled up to fish locally.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

nice work guys, good to see you out fishin!

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
            nice work guys, good to see you out fishin!
            Hey Camelbird....u need to join us next time

Comment

Nice Job Guys.... I like Bill's smile in his picture with the catfish.....

Comment

Good to see a report in this crummy cold weather. Nice work fellas!

Comment

I love your reports Bill! Where's the red brimmed hat?
                  So were you fishing sort of structure?
                  Good to see that old fashioned nightcrawlers still work for catfish.

Tom

Comment

Thanks, gents. It was good to be out and catching something.

Tom--The red hat migrates to the closet for the winter. Gotta keep my ears covered this time of year. Too much surface area...

We weren't fishing structure, per se. On the Maryland side, there's a big eddy that often holds fish. There are some stumps and bottom bumps around, but we didn't fish those. On the Virginia side, I've seen more bumps. There are often a lot marks associated with the bumps, but I've never caught anything while fishing them. I need to go out there with some jigging lures to see if the marks are bass, stripers, perch, or something else catchable. I do know there are fair amount of gizzard shad around in that area because some of the boaters set gill nets on that side to catch bait.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

On the far side of the river before the inlet of Dogue creek is a big sandy flat that is fun to fish because you can get a variety of catfish. In the past I have rputinely caught white. Channel and blue catfish. That is where I caught my citation white catfish. Chumming eith a fish bomb worked here in the past byt my free source of fish bombs has dried up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        On the far side of the river before the inlet of Dogue creek is a big sandy flat that is fun to fish because you can get a variety of catfish. In the past I have routinely caught white , channel and blue catfish. That is where I caught my citation white catfish. Chumming with a fish bomb worked here in the past but my free source of fish bombs has dried up.

Comment

top circle is the "sandy flat" where we fish from 25ft to 16 ft of water....though the deeper is usually better
                          The lower circle is the "eddy". we usually fish from 16ft to 18 ft in this spot

Comment

Bill no red hat+no garlic hot dogs=no cats.;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X