Jamaica Bay (JBAY) 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was good times indeed!

Congrats to Jeremy and Foster! Snaggedline totally represented with those two!

P5153709.jpgP5153714.jpgP5163718.jpgP5163720.jpgP5163725.jpgP5163728.jpgP5163731.jpgP5163732.jpg

Last few blues were on top water which was such a blast!

My biggest was a 32" Blue... not even close to 3rd place :P

The raccoon prints always cracked me up every morning!

photo_2015-05-17_21-42-44.jpg
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
      My two favorite moments of my first Jbay Tournament! 2nd place electric division with Foster and being violated by the raccoons!

LOL!!!

Well done Jeremy! Is there a link to overall results?

How many Snaggedliners placed?
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
        The raccoon prints always cracked me up every morning!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15828[/ATTACH]
        Well Done Mustafa! Those are some nice blues. The raccoon stories crack me up!
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Good job Foster and Jeremy.... it was a long ride home, but the traffic was not bad. I did accomplish my mission of catching one of those NY big blues... they wore my arm out.

Comment

Great time as always. Those fish really put our normal fishing into perspective. The top water action for blues was some of the most fun I've had from the yak in a long time.

This tournament was my first time out this year. What a way to start my 2015 fishing.

Sour note for me: not turning in my 28" blue, which would've got me 3rd place in the electric yak division. I thought there was a 29 incher on the board...dah well!!

Big congrats to Jeremy & Foursteps! MKF has consistently represented well at JBay annually.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Bowed up in today's INSANE fog...

Comment

How NOT to Masgouf a blue LOL....

Comment

Congrats guys. Way to go. This was my first time at JBay. I'm a believer of the Tube N Worm now. I had my doubts. Those blues gave me a workout with it. Good to see everyone.

uploadfromtaptalk1431916030758.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431916087661.jpg

I was wonder how this guy got his PA on top of his RV. What a setup.
                  uploadfromtaptalk1431916046934.jpg

Leader Board
                  uploadfromtaptalk1431916061778.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431916136244.jpg

Mobile
                  Last edited by Goody; 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Nothing like seeing a blue stalk your lure...blow-up...miss the lure completely, then it comes back to nail it and makes the drag SCREAM...

Comment

• Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      How NOT to Masgouf a blue LOL....

Yikes! LOL

You guys shoulda been paying attention at the CBKA last year

We ate at a really good Uzbek /Uyghur restaurant in Brooklyn
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

• [QUOTE=sparky1423;111717]My two favorite moments of my first Jbay Tournament! 2nd place electric division with Foster and being violated by the raccoons!

Way to go, Jeremy!!! Congrats. You made us proud.
                        John D.
                        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                        GO RAVENS!!!
                        GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

• Another great time a Jbay. It's gonna take a few days for me to recover!
                          -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                          Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                          Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

• Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            There was a lot of discussion during the meet and greet this past weekend about fishing Jamaica Bay in 2015 so I thought I would post this thread with some past trip threads and some recommendations for those that are interested. This will be my 6th year going I believe and I look forward to it all year long!

This year's event will be held the weekend of May 16th as it is always the weekend after Mother's Day.

Here's some past threads -
                            http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...267-J-bay-2014
                            http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...Bay-Tournament
                            http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...y-8-9-Jun-2013
                            http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...aica-Bay-Recap
                            http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...2411-JBay-2012
                            http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ay-2011-Re-cap

Here's some past gear recs I gave:

Fishing items for JBAY:

General rods to bring:
                            Rod 1 - MH-H capable of trolling medium/large lures and live-lining bunker
                            Rod 2 - MH Spinning rod for throwing snag hook or snag rig, jigging, or additional trolling
                            Rod 3 - Casting/Jigging rod for throwing plastics, drifting sandworms, or jigging bucktails

Tackle:
                            Snag hooks (bring a couple of these) (large trebble hook with molded lead, don't need many unless a bluefish bites you off)
                            ALT Snag hook rig - 2/0 - 4/0 trebble hook, 2ft of 50lb+ flouro, barrel swivel, 1oz egg weight on main line
                            Tube and worm rig - I recomend the 19" Hogy tube in wine or pink, buy sandworms up there or use fishbites/gulp. Fish these on a 3ft 50-80lb leader (bc of bluefish) to a high quality ballbearing swivel. You can use a keel weight, rubbercore sinker, egg weight, etc if you need to get it down quicker but you do not need a weight.
                            Bucktails & gulp swimming mullets - bring 1/2-1.5oz in various colors. Unless you are fishing near the bridge or jigging too high off the bottom (bluefish) you shouldn't need many as the bay is not very snaggy.
                            Plastics/leadheads to jig - Zmans in PINK!, BKDs, swimshads, flukes, hogy's whatever you like etc on 3/8-1.5 oz heads (mostly 3/8-1oz used) in colors like pink, white, blue/grey, yellow.
                            Plugs - Poppers/spooks for the sod banks, X-raps, rattle traps in various sizes/colors
                            Live-lining rigs - large circle hooks (8/0+), heavy leader (40-80lb), fish finder rigs or egg sinkers to help you get the bunker below the bluefish or so you can chunk your sliced up bunker.
                            Top / Bottom rigs or weakfish rigs for fishing sandworms (I don't do this but it can be productive).

Accessories:
                            Scissors or a knife to make strip bait or chunk bunker
                            Fish Grips for bluefish
                            Light for night fishing
                            cart, long haul to water from camping area
                            navionics app or a fishfinder with gps makes it very helpful for finding the channels and edges.
                            While its fresh in my mind I thought I'd add to the recommended items to bring with you to Jbay. Apparently sausage can be used to stop leaks in your scupper holes. Who knew??!!
                            -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                            Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                            Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

• First Congrats to Jeremy and Jay!!! Way to represent the MKF crew!

Like always it was a pure blast out there! This was my 3rd time and for the first time I felt like I knew what I was doing up there. The lures I brought caught me fish, although the blues were hitting on just about anything. Not everything, but just about. And I was also able to find fish by myself in areas I never fished before! The Blue bite was straight fire! We caught them in deeper water and in the shallows, just a couple feet of water. And they were hungry! The topwater action was pure fury! I named the feisty Blues Jbay Tarpon the way they would get airborne during the fight! LOL

One thing I gotta do wayyy better with is taking pictures. But I did snap a picture of the Blue fish that Redfish12 brought back to camp for Grilled's Masgouf atempt. I made sure to NOTE the size of the fish by placing a bottle next to it! LOL!!! We were giving him a hard time about it too. It was nothing to catch a 25"+ fish, but when he went out later and they disappeared. LOL

IMG_20150516_193736.jpg

I will say this, that I am officially now sold on purchasing a Hobie. I got stuck in 2 bad paddles against the wind and current! One day it took me 2 hours of constant paddling to get back to the launch it was terrible!!! Also it sucked getting pushed off the fish when getting them unhooked and released. Now if I could just find the $$$!!! LOL

Comment

• Congrats guys!
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X