Patapsco River 1/11/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco River 1/11/2015

After driving to the Susquehanna and finding the entire River frozen, Alan and I relocated to the Patapsco. We saw a few snaggedljners in the parking lot which was a nice surprise. We blazed a trail through the ice and made it to the main channel. Jigging deep, I pulled up one striper then got the call to come home...both kids with high fevers. Oh well, the January striper was a nice treat. Alan, the rockfish whisperer was starting to get dialed in when I left.

2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Susquehanna first? Were you going to give the YP a try?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
      Susquehanna first? Were you going to give the YP a try?
      Yes, yellow perch. Caught 40 a few weeks ago but they were all smalls. I was hoping for some keepers today.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

No fish is safe from you guys. The fish probably conspired to get the kids sick. Hope they get better soon.

I had a day pass to get out this weekend but had a feeling the rivers would be iced up. It gave me plenty of time to tinker with some things and order more jig heads for those perch once the ice clears up though.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          Yes, yellow perch. Caught 40 a few weeks ago but they were all smalls. I was hoping for some keepers today.
          Keep me posted when you go again. I'm busy this week and weekend but after that I'm hoping to give it a try. Don't like going out alone this time of year though.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Always good in safety in numbers.....that's my motto...

Comment

Nice work guys. Maybe a little warm spell and the susky ice will clear out.
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

How thick was the ice? Looks like it disappeared pretty fast, if you didn't get to stay long.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  How thick was the ice? Looks like it disappeared pretty fast, if you didn't get to stay long.
                  The bow and pedals busted most of it up. Sometimes I had to get the paddle out and bust up the ice to get the kayak back in the water. A big jamb of it came with the incoming tide, that was a few inches thick and impassable...had to navigate through the pieces. The tankers helped with clearing the channel, any colder and I think too much ice would have sent me home.
                  Last edited by sparky1423; 01-11-2015, 06:58 PM.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for the heads up about the river being frozen, and nice seeing you today bud. I was ready to start heading up when we switched gears....for the better. I got between 15-20 fat stripers today. I'll be putting up some videos and more photos on FB (My signature is the link to those). But here's some good ones from the day. Catching fish keeps ya warm!

The knuckle heads hamming it up are Jed Plunkert, myself and Jeff Little, from left to right :-)

With the ice the way it was, man, it was tough getting out. Then there were times the whole thing was covered in ice. Made fishing tough, but we adjusted.

The jig is a very fine touch. It takes some work, but once you get it, you got it.

G0180191 - Copy.jpgG0220232.jpgG0100114.jpgG0120128.jpg

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

I got off work at 3:30 going over the Key Bridge I saw 3 yak,s out there. Nice job..
                      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Those are some dang nice looking fish for mid-winter conditions. I'm guessing the Patapsco at Harbour Hospital is pretty much frozen up tight. Anyone know for sure? From my house the HH area of the Patapsco is a 1.5 hour drive on a good day. It's a bit of a gamble just to find out it's frozen solid.
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                          Those are some dang nice looking fish for mid-winter conditions. I'm guessing the Patapsco at Harbour Hospital is pretty much frozen up tight. Anyone know for sure? From my house the HH area of the Patapsco is a 1.5 hour drive on a good day. It's a bit of a gamble just to find out it's frozen solid.
                          I haven't seen it to confirm, but I'd guess it's not good based on what we saw in the channel. All the ice was headed that way from the wind.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

drove over the key bridge today and it looked like bear creek was frozen over not sure of the conditions up river. Alan good job!!! you and your buddies hard core. go big or go home!!

Comment

The weather this weekend looks to be in the 40s near the Patapsco. I think I might give it a shot! Beautiful fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X