Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February meet and greet saturday 2/21/2015

CANCELLED!!!

ZTime to start planning for the February Meet and Greet. We will be fishing the mighty Susquehanna River for yellow perch. THE DATE WILL BE FEBRUARY 21, 2015...It would be wise to push the date to the third Saturday since the second lands on Valentine's Day. I don't know about you, but I am not ready for the whooping if I fished on Sweethearts Day! I will be there at Sunrise for the early risers, it's a beautiful experience watching the sunrise over the river:

001.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

I have fished the area a few times and have only caught smaller males. Hopefully by waiting till the third Saturday of the month, the larger males and fat females will be schooling up and preparing to spawn. We will be launching out of Jean Roberts Memorial park, this is a free launch for kayaks and a port-a-pot is on site. The parking lot can accommodate a number of trailers, but first come first serve. The ramp is only a few feet from the parking spots and a padded kayak friendly lane is available to the right of the ramp. An overflow parking lot is provided on the opposite side of the RR bridge only yards from the boat ramp if the first parking lot is full.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...83339334,d.eXY

We will be dining at the exquisite Tidewater Grille located only minutes from the Launching area. We will be parking in the back lot which will also accommodate those with trailers. Please do not park in the designated VFW parking spots, they are labeled. I was hoping we could plan to arrive at the restaurant at 1:30pm, this will give us plenty of time on the water. Let me know if you are attending Lunch.

http://www.thetidewatergrille.com/

The typical setup for this area of fishing is a top and bottom rig with live minnows and 1-2 ounces of weight depending on the wind and current. Some prefer snelled hooks with beads and spinners, some use shad darts, and some just use plain hooks with the minnows. The closest tackle shop to purchase minnows is:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...83339334,d.eXY

Usually a half pint will do, it comes to around 2 dozen. I prefer using a double dropshot rig with soft plastics, especially if the temps are freezing. It's no fun digging around for minnows with stinging hands. My goto plastics are 2" Berkley power grubs in pearl....but everyone has their favorites. Minnows will out produce plastics and you might drag up a few channel cats. The water depths vary from 10-80 FOW, usually 30-40 feet provides the best results but all days are different. This is a great area for new comers since the launch is convenient and plenty of floating docks to sneak into if the winds are strong. Last year we were able to wait out the Polar Vortex and fish the big Susky thaw, everyone had a stringer of fish.

Please let me know if you plan to attend lunch so I can reserve tables accordingly

Here are a few more pictures to help answer any questions:
    Aviary Photo_130340465063361163.jpg

Aviary Photo_130340469754517353.jpg

Attending FEBRUARY 21:
    Sparky1423 (Lunch)
    Donsail68 (Lunch)
    AbuMasgouf (Lunch?)
    yakkinfish18 (Lunch)
    mweber02?
    moc (Lunch)
    Catfish Jimmy (lunch)
    Coop1486 (Lunch)
    azmdted (Lunch)
    Salty Dog (Lunch)
    Romo (Lunch)
    Shady (Lunch)
    LenFewster (Lunch)
    Goody (Lunch)
    Kitkatyaker (Lunch)
    Chex (Lunch)
    Reel-Em-in (Lunch?)
    Pedro (Lunch?)
    Whenican (Lunch)
    Blackjack (Lunch?)
    Mbae
    Mbae's boo
    Last edited by sparky1423; 02-16-2015, 05:20 PM.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Looking forward to it and count me in for both fishing and lunch. P.S. bring the hobie ice breaker attachment for your kayak sparky.

Comment

Hoping to make it
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Will definitely be there bro!
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I'm in for both!
          2014 Hobie Dune Outback
          2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
          Rob

Comment

I hope to be there!
            Mike

Comment

I'm in! Thanks for volunteering to host this one again Jeremy. Looking forward to it
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry, looks like I already have an event on the calendar after all. Dang it!
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Count me in for fishing and lunch. Those yellow perch are beautiful fish.

Comment

I'm in for both.
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Iam in for both.
                      2012 hobie outback
                      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Sorry, can't make this one, previous engagement. Great information on the area and what to bring. Being a first timer, this really helps. Looking forward to the next one. Good luck
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I'm looking forward to this. This will be my first meet and greet and first time on the river. I'll be there for lunch too.
                          Thanks for setting this up.

Comment

My pleasure azmdted....this was my very first meet and greet three years ago, it's always a good time!

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                            I'm looking forward to this. This will be my first meet and greet and first time on the river. I'll be there for lunch too.
                            Thanks for setting this up.
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Is the river iced in currently?
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...