Looking for input- FeelFree uni track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input- FeelFree uni track

I am having a hard time getting the uni track mounts to secure to the track.

It seems like the locking hardware is slipping.

Thought I'd ask before i tore them apart.

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

I had the same problem with my uni track mounts. Now that I have them positioned where I want them...I haven't moved them again, but I am sure I solved the problem. Unfortunately, I don't exactly remember how I fixed them. I know it involved taking them apart and recalibrating the pivot piece underneath.

If you notice they lock down really well when the arms are moved halfway of the locking point. Then the mount loosens again when the arms are completely engaged. I think thats how I judged the minor calibrations, at least that's what I think I did....lol, its been a while. Also the way you snap them into the track makes a difference too. Really cranking down on the hardware help too after putting them back together, just don't strip out the plastic. I know this did not help much other than knowing someone else had the same problem and fixed the mounts.

If you are still having problems, I can take mine off and snap a few pics for you.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Jeremy

Thoughts pretty much what I thought. I just took them apart (kinda stinks that the set screws only thread into plastic)especially when its the only moving part). They are adjust and working find. Do you trust them, i just put a Scotty rod holder on them, seems like i could easily rip the bracket off?

Merry Christmas
      Ed

Comment

Merry Christmas Ed! I also have Scotty rod holders for the rails. I don't troll much with my Moken since it's only a 10 ft yak, it's mostly used for casting shorelines. I understand your concern since the hardware is so large and the rails are only installed with tapped screws. There is definitely some flex but I would think trolling with light to medium gear would be safe. If you set your trolling gear ar no more than a 90 degree angle to the yak, this should relieve some stress when the fish strikes. You could also design a trolling setup with PVC pipe and place it in the molded rod holders behind you. This will free up a lot of space in front of you and give you clearance for your paddle stroke.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Have you resolved this? I'm having the same issues with my unitrac plates and the unibar

Comment

I did take them apart to adjust the cams. The orange lever that is used To lock the cam tends to allow the set screw to loosen after a few uses. I would assume it fails because its all plastic, including the the threaded portion for the set screw.

The other issue I ve had is, after mounting a scotty rod holder to the unitrack mount then installing ,the supplied rubber stand off is to great putting a bunch of upward pressure on the unitrack.

Lastly with a rod installed in the holder, the cams tend to release after a few bounces of the rod (increased and decreased pressure).

I have no plan to use the 2 I purchased. I am hoping the guys at Feelfree will work something out with me. Its a good concept. Just needs to be reworked. After looking at few other sites, I would guess they are getting a lot of feedback.

But maybe I am not using them correctly.

I am going purchase the yakattack adapters.

Comment

Funny thing was I was in the shop today looking a new lure 13.5 on the flook that had a unibar and the cams were so tight I couldn't even latch them shut. Another thing mounting my 1.5" ram ball only 2 bolts lined up but barely and on top of that then the rubber bushing isn't flush with plate from the screw head. Kind of frustrating. I dI'd use the yak gear adapters to mount my ram ball for my transducer arm, they work great. I used the yak attack adapters for mounting the cell block. We ked great. Would recomend both
              Last edited by mebe007; 01-02-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

What shop did you go to. I am hoping Feelfree will rectify it.
                I purchased them with my 13.5. Feel like I wasted a good bit of money on them.

Comment

Appomatox River Company in Hampton VA. I have an email out to Joel @ feel free and have heard zero back from and part of the email was inquiring to purchase 2 additional flush mounts so they would match my existing. So it seems there not interested in answering my concern or selling me additional progress.

Another concern I have is the unibar setup serms to have slot of play in it (side to side motion)

Comment

I guess in reality it's a bunch of friction fit plastic parts with a pretty nice looking aluminum plate. Its bound to fail i.n a short period of time.

Have you used your rod holders for trolling?

Comment

Yes I have without the leashes as they complicated things. Not the unitrac ones. I've reconfigured since I keep one way forward facing me for rigging and one facin forward to hold my go to while paddling I wanted to use ram tube instead of scotty but I didn't like how the ram round bases fit. The scotty base is a perfect fit

Comment

Working...
                      X