Funky Japanese Spinning Reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky Japanese Spinning Reels

Anybody ever try one of these things? They don't look like they hold much line, but I bet you get a lot less twisting with the larger spool. I have a few imported casting reels that are top of the line and I love them, just curious if anyone has experience with these spinning reels.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/search?pcat1=1&pcat2=10
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I don't get it, they have no line capacity.

Comment

I'm gonna take a guess and say that the 1,2 & 3 under the line capacity isn't lb. test. But I want to say that I recall someone saying shallow spools like that actually increase casting distance, so I am sure that it's engineered with distance in mind. I think Daiwa makes one similar to this as well.

Comment

nobody with any experience?
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Anybody know how to translate Japanese?.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Use Chrome and you can right click the page and translate it to English. Once I did that I saw these reels are in the category of "Spinning Reel Throw-Long Cast".

Comment

I looked at the page, they seem to resemble the carp reels the guys in Europe use. They have similar ones here used for surf casting but I've never seen anyone ever have anything like that.
              Tan-Tarpon 140
              Lime-Pelican Matrix
              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

A few were Shimano, http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-...eels/game.html.

Comment

I clicked on the blue under the reels. I then clicked on Shimano tv and watched the video, did not understand one word but you can get the message on maintenance. I personally liked the No Good maintenance, lol thanks for sharing silasvirus82

Comment

I think I'm going to try one this spring. I've been eyeing them for a couple years now and never run across one to actually hold and cast. I can say the Shimano stuff made in Japan is better quality than the current US market stuff mostly made in Malaysia. The "new" Conquest reels which are made in Japan, have been made in Japan for years, but the US is just now getting a taste. I have two older Conquests I bought on eBay years back and they are the finest reels I've ever owned. With proper maintenance they will last a lifetime, and likely thereafter. If anybody is interested in trying imported tackle eBay is surprisingly the best resource.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Pit reels for euro carpers. It's a very niche reel to throw pva bags and goofy carp baits long ways on 15 foot rods
                      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

well that wouldn't be too useful around here. some of them look like more of a "hybrid", I really want to try one.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Funky Japanese Spinning Reels

I have a daiwa surf reel with a spool like that. It came with two spools. Both are shallow in comparison to a regular reel and one is super shallow like the one in the link you posted. I hate the reel but not because of the spool. It has allot of flex in it when your torquing on the handle. Because it's a lower quality reel then on my other surf rod I can't say whether the spool is benefit or not.

The reel I have is called an emblem shot. The reel costs in excess of $100 but I would have preferred to roll that money into a different reel. I would advise anyone to try a different model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by willf650; 12-24-2014, 04:17 PM.
                          1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                          2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                          2015 Coosa HD
                          2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                          2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Many Shimanos are made in Malaysia.

Comment

Working...
                            X