Thanks Turtle135 - Pointer 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Turtle135 - Pointer 78

After reading Turtle's report from the meet and greet I thought - dang, I have a pointer 78 and haven't tried it on pickerel.

So I tried it this morning and hooked up on the first or second cast with a nice 20" pickerel fishing from the neighbor's pier - then I had to go to work.

I was using crack blue which seemed a little loud for the water clarity but it still worked (once anyway).

Sorry - no pics this time - I left my phone inside

Well done! I think those suspending jerkbaits while pricey are a good option for Pickerel who are not in an overly aggressive mode. They like to follow lures and when that presentation just stops and hangs in their face it seems to be more than they can resist. I was using that Aurora Green Perch which is a pretty "loud" color as well. It may be the further away they can see the jerkbait, the more followers you will pickup.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I'm off on 12/30/14 and hope to give it a try!

Comment

Nice job! I'll be giving the pickerel a try this coming week as well.
        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
        Northern Pike: 24 inches
        Crappie: 12 inches
        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Good work Skidsteer. I fished in the fog and mist in Weems Creek this morning for two hours. The water was low, calm, and stained with silt from runoff. The pickerel bite was tough. In two hours of casting live minnows I caught one 20" pickerel and had one other follow. That was the total action.
          001.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Tuesday looks cold! This weekend looks warm, but I'm probably not able to get out then.

Comment

John,
              Have you ever caught any yellow perch in Weems?
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Pointer 78 worked again after I got home. One smaller fish - maybe 17". I haven't been able to get out on the kayak since I ruptured a disk in my neck so it's nice to be able to get some quick action from shore.

Plus the stillness, calm water and fog made it interesting today.

Nice picture John. Water was high tonight and still clear over here.

Comment

Trolling or casting; with years of experience in northern waters, Rapalas, silver and black, silver and blue, gold, some others - trolled along edges, weed beds, drop offs, all the good spots. Especially early mornings and evenings.

This is one of the few things I feel completely comfortable sharing. I know these tactics work from MI, MN, WI, down to the great sounds in NC.

And...casting while trolling can be very exciting - given you fish the "right territory"...forgive me friends...not ego by any stretch. Fishing I have done for years; time and again....particularly when the Walleye, trout, bass, stripers, and other eating species were not biting.
                  Respects//Dave
                  DaveO
                  Arnold/Annapolis
                  Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
                    John,
                    Have you ever caught any yellow perch in Weems?
                    I have caught yellow perch in several Severn tributaries over the years, but they are so scarce, I cannot target them. Since Nov 1, I caught 97 pickerel and 1 yellow perch in the Severn tributaries. I cannot remember which tributary held the yellow. When I do catch one, I marvel at the beautiful coloration.

Here are a couple of beauties I caught while pickerel fishing in February 2008.

2008-02-03 004.JPG 2008-02-03 005.JPG
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the info
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John, the real reason I asked about YP is that I am the caretaker for the 900 gal aquarium at the .annapolis Maritime Museum and really would like to get a couple of YP. I will have a DNR collection permit in January, so I can keep,undersized YP. If you hear of folks getting YP, could you drop me a line. Thanks
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
                          John, the real reason I asked about YP is that I am the caretaker for the 900 gal aquarium at the .annapolis Maritime Museum and really would like to get a couple of YP. I will have a DNR collection permit in January, so I can keep,undersized YP. If you hear of folks getting YP, could you drop me a line. Thanks
                          What a cool job

Comment

Strictly a volunteer position, but it's fun. It's a bay aquarium, just fish in this area. Need the YP for some color.
                            John Rentch
                            Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I caught 1 yellow perch up Back Creek on the Severn last year, have not caught one since

Comment

Working...
                              X