Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Drop Trip Report Sat 20 Dec

Deep Drop Trip Report Sat 20 Dec

Met Chex, Moc, Abumasgouf and Abu’s brother-in-law at the dock, and we departed about 2:30 am Saturday out of Rudee Inlet on the Rudee Angler with over 30 anglers onboard for this 17-hour trip.

It turned out to be a very good day. Mostly cloudy with light winds. It was cool in the morning, but it warmed up enough not to require gloves. Seas were maybe two feet, so fishing conditions were very good.

We rode over 5 hours to get to our first fishing spot. The standard bait was squid, and so we dropped our double and triple hook rigs in about 150 feet of water with 20 ounce sinkers. We went on to several other spots and had a pretty good day of fishing up to 350 ft depths catching mainly bsb and blueline tilefish.

Everyone pretty much limited out. My 70 quart cooler had lots of bsb and tiles. One guy (and his wife) had a 100 quart cooler filled to the top with fish. Another fellow caught big bluefish.

Great day fishing with the MKF gang. Hope to do it again!
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome guys. That's a lot of fish.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Just had dinner. Deep fried bsb!
        Attached Files

Comment

It was a great trip. I car pooled with Chex. He was generous enough to offer to give me a lift down there so we could keep each other company and share in the gas. We got down to the boat around midnight. We did not see any other Sanggedliners there, but Tufnik said that he was there sleeping in his car. Everyone showed up just before 2:00am. The boat only had 30 Anglers that I counted which was good. No wonder it appeared less crowded than last year. Everyone was more well behaved also. The boat even left before 2:30am. It was 2:15 when they pulled off. I guess everyone who paid was there. The Snaggedliners had luck on their side. They were able to get two tables for our group, which gave us a place to put our heads down on the trip out. The trip out was quite bumpy. I could have sworn that the boat went airborne as it rocked left and right. The seas calmed down and the weather warmed up, so it became a beautiful day! As soon as our lines hit the bottom at our first stop of 150 foot depths, we hooked up immediately with black seabass. During the day, I saw black seabass, blue tilefish, dogfish, giant blues, and I heard one angler caught a flounder. My cooler was filled to the brim. I almost could not close the lid. It cost only $23 to clean my fish back at the dock, which was money well spent. I even got a black sea bass citation with a sea bass of 5.5 pounds. I seemed to catch bigger sea bass by suspending the bait a foot off of the bottom. Leaving the bait on the bottom caused me to hook up with small sea bass. I also put a teaser glow in the dark squid skirt over the hook that seemed to increase my catch ratio.

Chex and I drove back right after getting our fish cleaned. I was home by 2:20am and Chex was home by 2:45am. Not a bad way to spend time with good friends of the Snaggedline community, with special thanks goes out to Chex for driving.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice, sorry I missed this one... Maybe next year. Glad you all had a good time
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wow that bsb is HUGE. I don't think I have ever seen one even half that size.
              Mike

Comment

Nice bsb, moc. How did the glow lure compare with squid? I may have to get some for next time.

Comment

Nice fishing fellas. I will be back down there this winter/spring.

Comment

Great experience! Thanks tufnik for putting it on our radar this year!
                    The ride out was truly rough but thankfully it calmed down considerably and because beautiful!

I had a good haul, but not the sizes I was hoping for. I caught many BSB and tile fish the majority of my BSB were between 13-14 inches.

I didn't take pics on the boat but I did take a pic of my BSB dinner

Baked BSB smothered and stuffed with garlic and Cilantro butter. It was awesome!
                    Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 12-22-2014, 07:48 AM.
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice work fellas.. if I can find my sea legs one day I would love to try this trip..

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                        Great experience! Thanks tufnik for putting it on our radar this year!
                        The ride out was truly rough but thankfully it calmed down considerably and because beautiful!

I had a good haul, but not the sizes I was hoping for. I caught many BSB and tile fish the majority of my BSB were between 13-14 inches.

I didn't take pics on the boat but I did take a pic of my BSB dinner

Baked BSB smothered and stuffed with garlic and Cilantro butter. It was awesome!
                        I would like that recipe..... so what are the actual details?

Comment

Looks like a great trip fellas! Thanks for sharing the pictures and reviews.
                          Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                            Nice bsb, moc. How did the glow lure compare with squid? I may have to get some for next time.
                            After I went a few rounds with the bare hooks to catch fish, I then put on the glow in the dark squid teasers and my hookup rate increased. Suspending the bait a foot off of the bottom gave me a better hookup rate with larger sea bass. The nibble rate decreased, but when there was a bite, they turned out to be a larger class of black sea bass. I will have to go again and retest the results.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                              I would like that recipe..... so what are the actual details?
                              Very simple. In a mortar and pestle I smashed 4 large cloves of Garlic, added 5 tablespoons of butter, salt, and chopped Cilantro. Mash them all together and mix them well.

Debone the BSB and score the outside then salt and pepper lightly. Stuff the butter mixture inside the BSB and smother the outside as well. Bake in a 350 degree oven until done (about 30-40 mins). If you want a crisper top skin, you can broil it for the last 5 mins or so.
                              -Mustafa
                              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                              X