Looking for pfd recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for pfd recommendations

Good morning all. Looking to get a PFD, edging ever closer to water ready status.

Looking primarily at several models of Kokatat and MTI; hoping to the voices of experience will guide me to a good choice.
    I am 5'9'', about 210 and ride a Tarpon 140.

Recommedations, guidance, cautions, and etc., greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!
    DaveO
    Arnold/Annapolis
    Yellow Tarpon 140

Make sure you get a "high back" PFD. For me there is nothing more annoying than having the back of my PFD constantly bump on the seat. After that it comes down to personal preference if you want something with lots of pockets (like a NRS Chinook) or something more streamlined (like a Kokatat Bahia Tour). Some fisherman I know like having lots of pockets up front to have their gadgets close at hand. Others feel that all those pockets interfere to much. Find one that you will want to wear all the time. Good luck.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I recommend that you try on the exact model before you buy. Personal fit and comfort are important -- just because someone else on the board likes a particular model does not mean that you will too.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

+1 on trying on the model you want before buying. I tried on 4 different models of vest before I bought the Astral Ronnie Fisher. I liked the idea of a flat back and all the floatation on the sides and front. Loved it at first cause of the 2 big pockets up front, but after using it the pockets just get in the way. wish they made one identical without the pockets.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

+1 for NRS Chinook have been fishing mine for 2 years no complaints. Love the pockets and D rings on the front and am impressed that the zippers and seams are intact and show no signs of corrosion/damage after heavy salt use.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I love my NRS Chinook. Comfortable as can be, durable, a good price and has all the pockets (especially with zippers) that holds all the stuff I "need" to keep on me when I am fishing.
            2013 WS Ride 135
            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Another NRS vote here!

Comment

the best one for you is one that is comfortable to wear. So you wont leave it in the milk crate behind you or worse inside the kayak.
                I have several but when it hot hot hot I wear an inflatable type by Stearns The rest of the time I wear my NRS Chinook. When I wear the inflatable jacket the other is somewhere on the kayak above deck.

Comment

NRS Chinook

Comment

I like the inflatable type either belt or vest type. You get note movement and not hot in summer.

Comment

Thanks to all my friends! Greatly appreciated. Thinking I'll finally go and find Annapolis canoe and Kayak; then fit and find the vest for me.
                      Merry Christmas - looking forward to lunch Saturday. Probably wearing my U.S. NAVY RETIRED ball cap.
                      Cheers.
                      DaveO
                      Arnold/Annapolis
                      Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

From the most expensive to the cheapest none are any good if you don't wear it. Try it on, what I did was put it on and sat on a milk crate in the store as if i was in my kayak. Did i get some strange looks ...a couple but they didn't have to wear it sitting down in my kayak. I also wear it in some trout streams that I go to for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                          Thanks to all my friends! Greatly appreciated. Thinking I'll finally go and find Annapolis canoe and Kayak; then fit and find the vest for me.
                          Merry Christmas - looking forward to lunch Saturday. Probably wearing my U.S. NAVY RETIRED ball cap.
                          Cheers.
                          Dave -

I have been using an old-fashioned PFD with no pockets ever since I started kayak fishing in 2001. I decided to move into the modern era and get a kayak fishing-specific PFD. Several guys on here recommended the NRS Chinook. I visited Annapolis Canoe and Kayak yesterday and was able to try on that model and several others in a range of sizes. That allowed me to decide on the Chinook, but in a size and color they did not have in stock. They ordered one just for me that will come in their next shipment.

We often look around for the lowest price on gear -- I am guilty too. But to have local specialized dealers that carry the merchandise we want and allow us to examine and try it on is a real plus. They told me that business is typically slow this time of year, unlike at the big-box and online stores. Often the local shops can give you a price that is close to or equal to the price from the other stores. Plus we are helping keep our small businesses in place for the next time we want to use them.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you John. I am going to visit Annapolis Canoe & Kayak as
                            as the holiday rush passes by.
                            So far, I want to try the NRS Chinook and the CVest. I like their respective styles and layouts.
                            Best - Dave

p.s. Thanks also for the tip to contact Mark; we've exchanged PMs and he is donating two milk crates to the DaveO cause.
                            A marvelous gentleman of no small generosity is Mark.
                            DaveO
                            Arnold/Annapolis
                            Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Prior to my first time out I purchased an NRS Chinook, which was the best I could afford.

My first time out I dumped my kayak over and couldn't get back in. I spent 20 or so minutes bobbing in the water by the Bay Bridge. I knew I got a great PFD and was not worried. Had I skimped, I would NOT have been happy. The fact I got a good one, that fit great, and I strapped it tight really helped for extended in-water use.

So +++1 for the NRS CHinook.
                              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Working...
                              X