Bassyak or DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bassyak or DIY

I am adding a motor to my Moken 14 over this winter. I was contemplating of doing a BassYaks solution (I had thought about a torqeedo, but at $1700 no effing way). THe other option is to just get a $60 motor and rig up a system similar to the BassYaks. In the end I think the difference will be about $400 between the two. I am fairly handy but as you know.. a home made solution never works as well as an engineered one.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

touch base with Tufnik....he had a system back in the day that worked OK
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I'm doing the exact same thing this winter with my perception pescador 12. Just picked up a 30lb bps prowler on craigslist for $50. I got my inspiration from this post https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/201...r-stern-mount/
      Going to do something fairly similar, but I'll probably seal some pressure treated lumber to use as the mount instead of fabricating a bracket like archeryrob did (since I don't have the skills).

Going for the DIY method because it'll give me something to do during the winter. Curious to see if you have any ideas for your system
      Daniel Kwon
      2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
      2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

I had seen setups like that and Wanted to do one.. but I would need to purchase a rudder kit and that is $200 alone, plus the plugs and other items which would be an additional $100, so I figured that for a mere $400 more I could just get an engineered one.. In the end it is not much more to get the pre-fab one.

But on second thought, it would be fun to do it myself. The Moken has the FeelFree rails in the back and I could just mount a stern motor mount on that so there would be no drilling required into the boat. That is a plus.

Comment

Tufnik had his fastened to 2x4 which attached to his crate. crate held down with turnbuckles

Comment

I have seen that model and it is good but a bit too much "DIY" if you know what I mean. I much prefer to have the motor hanging off the rear on center (or nearly on center.). I am such a pre-Madonna (someone who existed before Madonna of course) that I must have a solution that looks as good as it works.

Comment

ahhhh well then. You're talking to the wrong guy LOL.......... looking good not really my thing.
              But perhaps I should reconsider....

Comment

In my professional career (in IT) I have always ebrased the motto "fake it until you make it".

In regards to your image.. I have always felt that Looking IS feeling good.
                Now if you will excuse me, I am WAY behind on my gazing into the mirror time.

Comment

I would suggest you all also read up on Langston's (Metroman) post on the Lithium Ion batteries. Yes they are expensive but the normal 80# battery changes loading a lot, where his battery does not.
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I did a comparison between the Bassyaks and Torqeedo for myself ........... By the time you added in all of the costs of the Bassyaks add ons and the battery, the cost was still within a couple hundred dollars and you still had a large footprint/ weight factor and you still did not get the safety of turnoff if you fall out or turtle, the battery management that tells you how much time left and a bunch of other stuff. I'm also a do it yourself but the Torqeedo is definitely worth the difference.

Just ask the guys that have them

Comment

My set-up on an OK 13' Trident relied mainly on 2x4 technology. It was cheap (used a $100 minn kota motor), and it worked very well. No drilled holes were needed. Lugging the 50# battery around was a PITA.

I don't use electric power anymore. I now use a Hobie (for over 3yrs). Thinking about electric power again, but I prefer the reliability of human power. If I go back to electric, I'd look at the cheap option again because it works well and I would not have invested much in it should I change my mind again. I would definitely check out Metro Man's DIY lithium battery.

I thought the torqueedo option looked good, and a lot of guys like it, but I changed my view. My friend is a avid fishing yaker and enjoyed it for maybe 2 years, then he had to have his controller repaired. He paid a pretty penny.

My reco would be to try a cheap option first, then upgrade if you really like it.

Hey, Kevin. "YOU look marvelous!" Lol....I like that character.
                      Last edited by tufnik; 12-13-2014, 12:26 PM.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I have gone the DIY, BassYak and Torqeedo routes. The DIY route is simple and inexpensive. I used a side mount, which used a canoe side motor mount attached to a milk crate. A very simple mount of PVC is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzLB8-ghvw. I have also used and liked very much, the side mount by Island Hoppers: http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...tor-mount.html. I have also used a 55lb thrust BassYak on an Ocean Kayak Big Game. I really liked the BassYak on the Big Game. I could steer with my feet while fighting a fish, and the motor was quiet. Although, I had to make some modifications to stop water leaking into the connection of the deck mounted plug. After that fix, the BassYak was flawless. I now have a ProAngler, with the eVolve that fits into the peddle well of the kayak. I do miss being able to steer with my feet. However, the battery situation is by all means light years ahead of the old deep cycle batteries, 6lbs vs 69lbs. The Torqeedo does make some noise. In the Chesapeake that does not seem to matter. I really don't know about fresh water. I generally motor to the area where I am going to fish, then use a paddle to move to new casting locations. All in all, I like the Torqeedo best. The six pound batteries are a real benefit. I carry four batteries, as I like to go out on long trolling trips. Fair warning, if you run the Torqeedo, or any other battery for that sake, on full speed for any amount of time, don't expect much range.

I have written about this before. The Torqeedo is repairable by the user. You really don't have to pay for someone to repair the Torqeedo. All of the parts are available from the Torqeedo web site. Anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability can do the repairs. I ordered all of the parts directly from Torqeedo and did my own repairs. There are schematics and part numbers available on the web site. Then just call support and order the parts. Support will even help you with diagnosing your problem.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

People really pay $1700 for a trolling motor? Not trying to disrespect anyone of course, but I barely came up with the $800 for my Moken. Now, due to some extreme luck I could come up with another $800 for a bass yaks.. but in my wildest dreams I don't think I could come up with the dough for a torqeedo.

Question for you dogfish..
                          With the bassyaks on the Chesapeake.. would you recommend the saltwater version for another $100 or do you think the freshwater version is good enough.. I have heard multiple opinions. Also, I am contemplating using the bassyaks but keeping the toe-control of the rudder for the Moken so I could keep a solid foot peg and still be able to steer with my toes. what would you recommend? were you happy with the Bassyaks stock foot controls with no solid footing? I would love to get your opinions.

Comment

That is what I miss with the ProAngler. I like the foot controls. When I installed the BassYak, it connected directly into the rudder system of my Ocean Kayak, Big Game. The motor will become your rudder. You will steer with the thrust of the motor. It is nice to be able to steer the kayak with your feet when fighting a fish, after hooking it trolling.

As far as the Saltwater version, I would talk to Steve from BassYak, I think that is his name, about what you get for the salt water version. I got the Saltwater version. However, it was still a fresh water type motor in the kit. It was not the white saltwater motor from MinnKota. The guy from BassYak, like I said, I think his name is Steve, is easy to talk to. Give him a call. The one caveat about the BassYak, is you have to seal the deck plug around the conduit. Otherwise, water gets in there from the splash of waves. At first without knowing, with mine, the water got in through the conduit connection, and the plug actually melted. It was an easy fix. I made my own conduit connection, using bilge hose. After that, it worked fine. For all I know, they may have fixed that problem by this time. I also got the wired remote throttle control. That way you can keep the throttle control laying right in you lap while fishing, within easy reach.

Keep in mind, those deep cycle batteries are heavy. Also, if you intend to troll any distance, I would recommend a 105ah battery. I used to carry two 105ah glass matt batteries in my Ocean Kayak, hooked to a battery selector. Like I said, I like to go on long trolling trips.

One other thing I did with the MinnKota from BassYak, and would recommend, was to change out my propeller to a Kipawa propeller: http://www.kipawapropellers.com/. That makes for improved bay trolling. You will tend to recover faster from wave and chop. I didn't really gain that much more in speed, as with having kayak move through the water better, and with less vibration. If you go back into the forum, we got into a big discussion about trolling motor props vs the Kipawa pitch propeller.

Gook luck.
                            Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-16-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                              People really pay $1700 for a trolling motor? Not trying to disrespect anyone of course, but I barely came up with the $800 for my Moken. Now, due to some extreme luck I could come up with another $800 for a bass yaks.. but in my wildest dreams I don't think I could come up with the dough for a torqeedo.

Question for you dogfish..
                              With the bassyaks on the Chesapeake.. would you recommend the saltwater version for another $100 or do you think the freshwater version is good enough.. I have heard multiple opinions. Also, I am contemplating using the bassyaks but keeping the toe-control of the rudder for the Moken so I could keep a solid foot peg and still be able to steer with my toes. what would you recommend? were you happy with the Bassyaks stock foot controls with no solid footing? I would love to get your opinions.
                              Keep in mind, you are getting a lithium ion battery that weighs only 6lbs. The battery alone costs about $700, to buy a spare. It is not really a trolling motor, in the idea that most have. It is more like kayak propulsion. The Torqeedo is a nice setup. It is also more powerful, at least in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X