Wear Your Sunblock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear Your Sunblock

I wear sunblock, hats, long sleeves, and long pants when kayak fishing.

Earlier this year I noticed a growth on my forehead. I had it looked at and it was basal cell carcinoma.

So I spent yesterday getting it cut out of my head.

Glad you caught it time!

Thank you for the warning.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I had one cut off my forehead too about 8 years ago, maybe 1/3 the size of a pea or smaller. And I've been a chronic wearer of canvas hats for several decades... I never go out without a hat on. So not sure how to avoid forehead cancers. The forehead seems to be a common location.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

At work today. I had MOHS surgery where they slice tissue and look at it under a microscope to make sure they get all the cancer out. Wasn't that big of a deal, but is not fun. They said mine was small and that the sooner people get them looked at and taken care of, the better off it is. I still ended up with a 1 cm square hole in my forehead.
        Last edited by DanMarino; 12-05-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Glad you had it checked out. This is a good reminder for everyone. I try to cover up as much as possible but I still seem to get too much sun sometimes on those sunrise to sunset fishing trips.

p.s. - did you tell them to stop cutting before they reached brain?
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Tom -

You needed that like a hole in the head. I'm glad they caught it when they did.

I had MOHS on the side of my forehead a few years ago. It was just another blow to my dreams for a modeling career.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I might need to take up night fishing!

Comment

Just had a 4cm Basal cell removed from my chest- deep wide excision with deep and superficial sutures...ugly scar (I am age 41)- My 71 year old friend fished the Bay his whole life and enjoying retirement/ fishing and crabbing... just found out he has melanoma on his ear and it has spread through his lymph nodes and parotid gland...this will take his life. Serious stuff... Cover up and use sun screen -

Comment

Let me add another vote for cover clothing and sun block. The Dr. cut about 3x3 chunk of meat and skin cancer out of my October 29 - my slecond go round; the first being on the neck.
                  I will undergo full body exams each six months, forever. This is besides mandatory hi-spf sun block and long cover clothing and a hat. It is real, and insidious my friends. It can and does come from nowheroue.
                  Please allow me to urge you to accept and adopt the sun block, clothing, and hats. Very best to all.
                  Cheers
                  DaveO
                  Arnold/Annapolis
                  Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Wow do I know how you guys feel. I went though 15 years of skin cancer on my nose and lip.Seem like every month I was getting more cut out.Know for that pass 7 years I been lucky.Now as of Monday back in for another check up.Race doesn't' matter with skin Cancer.
                    2012 hobie outback
                    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

In my case they had to go back and cut out a bigger swatch of skin. All is well now and I have virtually no scaring.
                      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
                        Wow do I know how you guys feel. I went though 15 years of skin cancer on my nose and lip.Seem like every month I was getting more cut out.Know for that pass 7 years I been lucky.Now as of Monday back in for another check up.Race doesn't' matter with skin Cancer.
                        You are right! I saw enough!

I put sunblock location and still wear a hood in 100+ F hot days.

Hot days:

Cold Days:
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thank you all for the reminders to play it safe in the sun.

Comment

Sounding like we all know better; or just learned. Hopefully no more of us get this - or a relapse.
                            Cheers.
                            DaveO
                            Arnold/Annapolis
                            Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

I try and cover up the best I can but my yonger days will probably catch up to me.
                              You know, back when people still used tanning OIL instead of sun block.
                              Jim

Hobie Outback
                              TKAA member
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X