CBBT (15 togs) 11-29-14, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT (15 togs) 11-29-14, Sat

Caught 15 togs using live green crab, but only two were keepers (both 16.5”). I caught five toads too.

It was cold in the morning when I launched at 0830 hrs, just above freezing, but the day was near-excellent. Blue sky, sunshine, high 40’s, low winds, and near flat water. The launch was the smoothest I’ve done at this place. The current was beginning to rip in the afternoon though. Water temp was probably in the high 40’s.

No other yakers were out. Many boaters were trolling or casting. I talked to a few, and nobody caught stripers. I had a few marks on the FF, but no takers when I jigged along the pilings.

All in all, an excellent day for yak fishing in spite of the cold.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

nice, all female togs?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Efrin! I love the drive and lauch pics... Sets the stage for the fish pictures
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I am always curious on the long adventures. What is your regular game plan? Do you drive down from where you live, then launch at 8:30am, then what time do you get off the water? Then do you stay in a hotel, sleep in the car or drive all the back home in the same day? How long is the trip for you from your house to the launch?

Comment

How deep was it where you were catching? I've never fished for Tog, need to get that checked off the list.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

shady,

Interesting you ask. I rarely catch males. Yesterday's catches were all females.

moc,

I usually make a decision on Fri afternoon or evening depending, of course, on weather. I wake up before 3 am, and am on the road before 4 am. Takes me less than 4 hours (includes breaks, fuel up, bait stop) to get to the launch. I'm usually on the water around 0830 hrs, and fish anywhere until 4 pm to 7 pm depending on bite, wx, body pain and body energy. Load up and drive home. It can take me 4-6 hrs to get home because I take frequent power naps to ensure alertness on the road. So, I get home anywhere from 10 pm to past midnight. When my head finally hits the pillow, I'm out like a light. Sometimes, if the wx looks good, I stay overnight at VB to fish the next day. Sometimes I sleep in a hotel, sometimes in the car, all depending on body condition.

All that for a measly fish!?!? Sometimes no fish!?!? ...lol....

cowpokey,

Seems like the tog bites at CBBT are mainly 35-40 ft. I fished 20-30 ft, but have not had any bites this fall. Most bites are in or near holes. You have to find the holes by bumping the bottom. Holes are also along the sloping rock pilings against the concrete columns..
            Last edited by tufnik; 11-30-2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

What a pleasant report!
              Efrin,
              Did you see birds at all?

Cowpokey,
              Here is my plan next weekend at CBBT.
              The slack tide will be around 11:00AM. I am not planning to hit the first Island at all.
              I am planning to fish for stripers mainly early in the morning during the strong current. Then hit 38-39' of water (right below the pilings) at 09:30AM to find the new holes and hopefully bigger togs. If it doesn't work, I will start to fish 33-35' of water at around 10:30 AM.

I think this coming weekend is the last weekend for landing a good number of togs at Kipto based on my records. Though CBBT is still OK during mid-December. Stripers should have been active already at CBBT. I hope I see birds and stripers the next weekend.

For you it will be a long drive to CBBT (over 4 hours) and Kipto (almost 4 hours). We, Efrin and I drive 3.5 and 4 hours respectively.

For the best result, can you wait until next spring (end of April, May) and try CHSP, DE? Wait until you will see the first tog report at CHSP, and try the weekend after that.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-01-2014, 06:02 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                What a pleasant report!
                Efrin,
                Did you see birds at all?

Cowpokey,
                Here is my plan next weekend at CBBT.
                The slack tide will be around 11:00AM. I am not planning to hit the first Island at all.
                I am planning to fish for stripers mainly early in the morning during the strong current. Then hit 38-39' of water (right below the pilings) at 09:30AM to find the new holes and hopefully bigger togs. If it doesn't work, I will start to fish 33-35' of water at around 10:30 AM.

I think this coming weekend is the last weekend for landing a good number of togs at Kipto based on my records. Though CBBT is still OK during mid-December. Stripers should have been active already at CBBT. I hope I see birds and stripers the next weekend.

For you it will be a long drive to CBBT (over 4 hours) and Kipto (almost 4 hours). We, Efrin and I drive 3.5 and 4 hours respectively.

For the best result, can you wait until next spring (end of April, May) and try CHSP, DE? Wait until you will see the first tog report at CHSP, and try the weekend after that.

Joe
                Yeah, Joe. No hovering and diving birds. Just a bunch of gulls sitting contently on the water passing the time away.

I thought the past weekend was the last CBBT trip of the year for me, but if the wx is good this weekend, I may make another go down there. Togs should still be biting, not to mention the chance for stripers. So far, forecast for Sat is looking favorable with air temp in the high 50s.

Comment

Just found that I am doing a deployment on Sat. So I will be fishing on Sun.

Joe
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Wow, that was some serious tog catching. I might head down this weekend. Sat forecast is looking good with just a little light rain. Sunday not so much, I may head back into the Elizabeth for some specks. Sort of been on sabbatical from kayak fishing it seems and need to get some trips in before water temps fall through the bottom. Been getting caught up on chores and made a couple early season snowboarding trips these last several weekends.

Comment

John,
                      I was wondering if you were still cleaning after the clam festival - no fishing???, just deligently looking for the last clam shell buried under a beer can???
                      I may be able to fish on Sat. I will know on Thur. Stripers should be available in a good numbers.
                      I have a very good feeling - There are three big togs, next to a 57" striper in 37-39' of water between two SBCs, waiting for you.

Anyway, what the h*** is SBC, Dave (HokieDJ)? Oh well, we still defeated the Cavaliers.

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-02-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        John,
                        I was wondering if you were still cleaning after the clam festival - no fishing???, just deligently looking for the last clam shell buried under a beer can???
                        I may be able to fish on Sat. I will know on Thur. Stripers should be available in a good numbers.
                        I have a very good feeling - There are three big togs, next to a 57" striper in 37-39' of water between two SBCs, waiting for you.

Anyway, what the h*** is SBC, Dave (HokieDJ)? Oh well, we still defeated the Cavaliers.

Joe
                        Haha...well, I went snowboarding the last two weekends...we had some decent early season conditions. But now it is all melting, so back to fishing. I also had a ton of weekend type chores that have been stacking up from going down to the beach almost every weekend earlier in the year. I am dying to get back out. I only got to try the new baitcaster that I got for my bday (clambake weekend) one time so far. I also started working out again and have been really sore from all the jogging and lifting weights...my older brother that jogs all the time only beat me by 1 minute in the 5 mile Turkey Trot, so I guess I am getting back into shape pretty quick. I let myself get too out of shape after the knee blowout I had a couple years ago.

Plus the drysuit I got off ebay, which was supposedly new with tags, ended up having leaky feet. I talked to the company and was going to send it in, but I just got repair glue on my amazon prime and trying to repair myself before this weekend...otherwise back to my trusty two piece combo.
                        Last edited by JohnE; 12-02-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

The clambake I put on went really well...you guys should have come down. We had fresh steamer clams and rockweed shipped down from Maine. I think I did my ancestors proud, even as miniscule as it was in comparison to most of their bakes. With the costs today, you could probably buy yourself a pretty nice fishing boat with the money it would cost to replicate the bakes my family used to put on up north for anywhere from 500-1.5k people at a time.

Comment

Working...
                          X