PVC glue vs Other glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC glue vs Other glue

Up until now I've been using Oatey PVC primer and glue for my PVC projects (yak loader, yak cart, etc.). This stuff is flammable, need ventilation, volatile, etc. Am thinking about using an alternative glue.

Anyone have success with using other glues (e.g., goop) for yak projects?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I'm a firm believer in the right glue for the right job. So if I'm gluing PVC, I use a PVC adhesive. I typically buy the Oatey brand, but Gorilla makes one... Weld-On is another... but they are all pretty much the same toxic stuff.

An alternative to gluing would be to use screws. Many people go this route for the ease of installation and the ability to disassemble if necessary.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

X2 on the first two sentences of what Buzz posted. I also used Oatey primer and glue. I personally wouldn't go with the screw route, just make sure you test fit everything and use a permanent marker so you can line things up correctly when doing final assembly with primer and glue, because once the glue sets (in a few seconds) it's never coming apart again.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

With the winter days now, I work yak projects indoors. That's why I asked about an an alternative glue. I guess I'll have to catch warmer days so I can work in the garage. Or experiment with other non-toxic glues. I'm not fond of using screws. Thanks

Comment

I would use the garage, just pick a warmer day and open the door.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Stainless self-tapping screw work well for most projects imo. The glues you mention will never bond fully to pvc and are not worth the time or expense trying to use them for that purpose. Pvc cement is not really 'cement' or 'glue'. Pvc cement is actually a solvent weld which melts the two pieces together forming a permanent bond. It is definitely nasty stuff and good idea to have good ventilation when working with it. Try using a fan to blow the fumes away.

Comment

The only 'glue' that I can think of that will bond reasonably well to pvc would be the stuff I sometimes use for hdpe yard drainage pipes. It is sold as 'drainage adhesive' and it does sort of sticks to pvc. The problem is it still smells as bad as pvc cement. The gorilla glue and stuff like that will stick at first, but it won't hold up.

Comment

Efrin,
                No glues. Screws are good enough and you can cut the working time by 2/3. Trust me on this.
                All my PVC art work was assembled with stainless screws. You can use the smallest phillips screw, as long as they are long enough, from Lowes. I use one screw for each connection. One is enough, not two. All pieces on My kayak cart, my kayak loader are assembled by using screws only. You can always re-screw if the angle is not correct.

I put a smaller hole (than screw diameter) into two parts (i.e., T connector and pipe) that are connected. Then use a power screw driver. This way you don't need self-tapping screws. Power screw driver is highly recommended.

If you don't have power screw driver, get one from Costco. I got one from Costco at $30.00 (Worx is brand name and comes with rechargeable battery. This one is a good quality for regular light duty home use. Much better than Black and Decker garbage. Or you can use regular drill.

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                  The gorilla glue and stuff like that will stick at first, but it won't hold up.
                  FYI - Gorilla makes an assortment of adhesives now.
                  I was referring to their PVC cement. Same with the Weld-On... they also make a PVC cement. Both will work just as well as Oatey PVC cement.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I did not realize they made pvc cement. I have never seen it anywhere, I am only familiar with the regular all purpose gorilla glue they sell everywhere. It is pretty good stuff, but not for pvc.

I don't think I have ever used anything other than oatey pvc cement. I thought they had a patent on it or something, but I just looked online and there are a few other companies making it, including gorilla.

And you definitely do not need any glue or solvent weld unless you are trying to rig up something to hold water and not leak. Screws are definitely all you need. I have extra cordless or corded drills if you need to borrow one for your project.

Comment

You guys are right. Screws work well. Used only one screw per connection, and it's pretty strong. BTW, I have two power drivers and they worked well.

Comment

Working...
                      X