Striper Salad - A Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper Salad - A Recipe

I made a striper salad which I brought to Thanksgiving dinner to serve as an appetizer with a favorite cracker. I was surprised at what a big hit it was.

For those who are not able to enjoy their wild caught stripers fresh, striper salad works well with frozen stock as well. Just remember to slow thaw the fish in the fridge over about a 36 hour period.

Start with about half of an 18-22 inch fish already baked and chilled in the fridge (in other words leftover). The fish should have been skinned prior to baking. Try to remove as much dark meat as possible.

In a large mixing bowl:

Add about a teaspoon of salt, or lite salt to the fish
    Add a teaspoon of Old Bay
    Add the juice of a half of large fresh lemon
    Add about a third of a cup of chopped parsley
    Add about a third of a cup of diced spring onions including chives (tops)
    Add a half cup of finely diced celery
    Add 3-4 tablespoons of extra lite olive oil or veg oil
    Add 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar
    Add about a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

Mix all ingredients with a fork until desired consistency.
    Set in fridge at least ten minutes prior to serving
    Blend again and serve in your favorite tray surrounded by Triscuits or similar cracker.

A nice chilled mid priced Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay,
    or Graves goes great with this appetizer,or your favorite beer.

BONUS: (Optional) Bore your non-fishing guests to tears with tide, water temperature, water depth, lure, and technique utilized in catching the actual fish!
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 11-28-2014, 03:40 PM.

Sounds awesome Fishin fool. Have to try that. I have made pleny of fish salads over the years with all kinds of fish. I lke your blend.

Would be good on toasted English Muffins quatered. JUst like crab meltaways but not heated. Just in time for the Holidays!
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Lol - I thought the optional was an essential. Great sounding dish
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Dave, like any salad, there's plenty of room for variation. I think the key with this one is the fresh lemon and freshly ground pepper along with the parsley and chives. Other options could be a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and you could even throw a chopped egg in it too, but you don't want to hide the flavor of the fish either.

Mike, the striper salad is good conversation piece, for sure. It definitely beats wearing a goofy tie, or an ugly sweater.

Comment

Never thought of using striper like this. I will definitely use this recipe with my next catch. Thanks for sharing!
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Sure Peggy. It works well with any fish of course. The typical striper is dinner for four, so the striper salad solves the problem of what to do with what's leftover.

Steve

Comment

I have had great luck using Croaker too.
              Deadwood (Dave)
              West River & Miles River
              2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
              If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Working...
              X