Mirage drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirage drive question

This is for all of the new 2015 Hobie peddlers. I'm considering having Santa retrofit my 2012 drive to the new super duper mirage drive. Looks like it can be done for just under $100.00.

The question... Is it worth it, or is it all just Hobie hype?

Que: Mustafa.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Used my 2011 Outback (w/ turbos) for 3 years. I mainly do saltwater in open water with lots of wind and current, coastal and bay bridge areas. I've used by 2015 for about half dozen trips so far.

First impression. Yes, it's easier to pedal, but I use the stock ST fins, not turbos. So, you'd expect easier pedaling compared with the turbo fins. If I had the turbos, I'd expect slightly easier pedaling compared with my older mirage with turbos.

The claim is that it requires 10% less energy per given mile. For me it seems, especially at the end of the day after 8-10 hours on the water, the pedaling is not as hard. When you're already a bit tired, that little 10% helps a little.

Would I spend $100 for that 10%? I'm on the fence for that reason, or maybe I lean on the yes side. Hmmmm... the new drive retails for nearly $600, and you're spending $100 to upgrade to the new drive. Maybe not bad.

If my drive was 2-3 yrs old, and there was noticeable slop in the drums, etc., it would be a fair reason to change. In addition to having new parts and maybe better reliability, you'd have the benefit of 10%.

What a minute. Better reliability? The new drive (namely, the drums) has more parts. Well, maybe if the cables are new, you'd have better reliability.

What parts are replaced for $100?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        What parts are replaced for $100?
        Not 100% sure. I was told all necessary parts came in a kit for $88 and Easton would do the change for approx. $10. Sounds like it would be worth it.

Comment

I am going to do that to mines but kit will not be in till sometimes in January. BYB iam sure will have in stock soon.
          2012 hobie outback
          2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
            Not 100% sure. I was told all necessary parts came in a kit for $88 and Easton would do the change for approx. $10. Sounds like it would be worth it.
            At that price, it sounds like the main replacement part are the drums (other parts too since there's suppose to be bearings at 5 different locations). Each drum has roller bearings.

Since this drive is new, my concerns are: How long will the drum last? If it breaks, do I need to replace the whole drum or just the bearing? (Can I change the bearing myself, or do I need to send the drum to a dealer?) How often do I need to maintain the drum (take apart, clean, relube) compared with the standard drum?

With all these concerns on an unproven with-bearings drive, I really could not tell you if the small 10% gain you get will outweigh the extra maintenance and potential decreased reliability/durability.

The standard drum is pretty reliable. I've had no problems with it after 3 years of use. Maintenance is easy.
            Last edited by tufnik; 11-27-2014, 04:23 PM.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I got 2012 and my drums are getting out of round..Which get me clicking sound.Tight in up cables but you can see there is some play from the pin.
              2012 hobie outback
              2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                Que: Mustafa.
                LOL! You have to ping me offline when you do that!

+1 on what Tufnik said on his experience with the new drive. I don't imagine the maintenance would be that much of an increased burden, but I'm not mechanically experienced. What I do know, is just like every product in any business they will concentrate on the new technology. So making yours into the latest may not be a bad thing for the long run.

If my drums felt funny, I may go ahead and upgrade. I think the costs for retro updating your old drums to newer ones is close in price to upgrading them to the new technology. No?
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Figures, I just replaced my drums, peddel shafts and one chain about 3 months ago. I am sure I wil upgrade to the newer stuff next time.
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                  X