Personal best pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal best pickerel

Mark and I fished this morning. We launched from the beach at Jonas Green into more wind than we expected. We headed to our first destination and began fishing for pickerel. Mark threw several types of lures while I used live minnows. After a slow start, I hooked my first fish of the day at 21.25" I had another at 20" and a few smaller ones in the first spot we fished.

001.jpg

After a while, we pedaled to another tributary. Mark worked shorelines in one direction, while I went in another direction. I lucked out and found a shallow area at the head end of one arm of the tributary. Once I found the fish, they were all over the place. Nearly all were 8" to 12" "hammer handle" pickerel. I caught 14 of them in short order and had at least 25 other casts where they either followed the minnow to the kayak or grabbed the minnow in their jaws without chomping down. After I wound them in for a few seconds, they opened their jaws and let the minnows (still unharmed) go. Although those pickerel were small, they were fun to catch on my ultralight rod.

My last fish of the day was caught just 50 yds from where the little guys were -- it was a personal best of 24". It is difficult to get a 24" fish in the frame when it is squirming on the measuring board. My arms were just barely long enough to get the whole fish in the view. Before taking the photo, I pinched the tail and measured about 24.25. But without a photo to prove that, I claim only 24".

003.jpg 004.jpg

One of the larger pickerel took the hook in the rear of its mouth cavity. It was not gut hooked, but if I tried to shove my pliers in the fish's mouth and yank on the jighead, I probably would have killed the fish. Fortunately I had my jaw spreader tool with me. This simple device props open the pickerel's jaw so I can carefully remove the hook while doing a minimum of damage. I encourage anyone who fishes for pickerel to carry a jaw spreader tool with them. Thanks to Mark, here are 3 photos of the tool at work plus two older ones showing the tool in open and closed positions.

B.jpg C.jpg A.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg

Over the past few winters, I have caught more than 500 pickerel from the Severn. I never was able to hit the 24" mark before. It was a delight to finally catch a citation sized pickerel. Plus catching 20 pickerel in a single trip is a personal best too.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Congrats on your PB.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Nice job! Congrats on the PB.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

John-two questions:
        1) how do you like the yak shown in the pictures?
        2) do you tape thr top of your boots to keep water out?
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
          John-two questions:
          1) how do you like the yak shown in the pictures?
          2) do you tape thr top of your boots to keep water out?

1) I am very pleased with the Slayer Propel 10. Today was my 8th trip in it since getting it last month. It has exceeded my expectations so far (and sufficiently so that I decided to sell my Native Manta Ray 14, the boat I used to use for pickerel fishing). I have trolled successfully from it and have been able to cast to shorelines with great maneuverability due to having both forward and reverse. It is light (57-58 lbs hull weight) and it fits fully inside my Honda Odyssey.

2) I am wearing my mid-season gear, consisting of Goretex rain pants and rubber boots. I do not tape the top -- I need to be careful when launching and returning that I don't step in water deeper than the top of the boots. The thickness of my regular pants and the rain pants pretty well fills the gap between fabric and boot so incidental spray does not go down the boot. Since I am pedaling, not paddling, there is no constant drippage off the paddle blade onto my legs. In another week or so, I will transition to my cold weather gear -- breathable waders and a semi-dry top.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John, friend of mine sells them in Centerville, MD. Might be something yto think about. Paddling is okay, but had to maintain a spot. I am using my hand built 12ft wood duck.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice fish John. Congrats.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

very nice!
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

John had two beauties today.

I did not come close to his catches in quantity or size.

I caught only 5 pickerel and each was in the 12 to 14 inch range.

John was kind enough to share a hot spot with me after I returned from an unsuccessful tour of some great looking shoreline.

Otherwise I would have ended the day with only one fish.

I was not the only one to be fooled by such promising habitat. This guy also left with no fish.

D.jpg

I used these artificial baits to catch today's fish.

D.jpg E.jpg

Each jig is 1/8 oz. I was most pleased with the first one -- the one with the marabou tail. I poured, painted and tied it only yesterday. It has a nice action in the water and on one occasion I saw the fish strike it in the clear cold water.

Anyway, it was nice day on the water (after a choppy crossing of the Severn in the morning) and I learned some useful pickerel tips and techniques from John that will serve me well in the future.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the report with pictures, John and Mark.
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Great day on the water John. Congrats on your PB's.

It seems that live minnows provided more action than artificials. Do you trap them yourself or buy them? Do you put the minnow on a spinner, or just plain hook them?

Comment

Thanks for the report guys. Were the fish tight to shore or cover?
                        20 fish in a day is fantastic John. I guess live bait wins again!
                        Slayer Propel 10 is on my short list once the kids get out of college.
                        Have a great Thanksgiving.
                        Tom

Comment

Tom,

John found a pocket of them in a small cove. But even they were close to cover.

Downed wood close to shore (i.e. the blue heron knows) seems to be their preference.

Mark
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                            Great day on the water John. Congrats on your PB's.

It seems that live minnows provided more action than artificials. Do you trap them yourself or buy them? Do you put the minnow on a spinner, or just plain hook them?
                            I buy my live minnows at Anglers by the pint. I'm sure you could trap them if you have water access and can leave a minnow trap out for a few days.

I think the minnows are killifish, which are remarkably hardy. They last in my minnow bucket in the garage for several weeks during the winter. Every few days or each time I fish, I empty the old water and add new water from the Severn. I used to carry my minnow bucket on the kayak during my pickerel outings. I tried something new this year that saves a lot of space. I remove a few dozen minnows from the minnow bucket and add them to an empty plastic dry roasted peanut jar with some water. They stay lively for the several hours I am on the water. The jar can be tucked out of the way. I then take a few minnows at a time and set them in the molded-in cupholder in my kayak. As the minnows get bitten or fly off the hook on a cast, I add a fresh minnow to the jighead.

I fish minnows on unpainted jigheads of 1/8-oz or 1/16-oz. Painted jigheads are fine too, but typically cost more and don't catch any more fish. Some anglers prefer using Roadrunner jigheads that have small spinner blades attached to the head to give more flash and noise. I rig the minnows by bringing the hook through both lips from the bottom. I cast them out and retrieve them, just like working a twister tail or paddletail. When the minnows are fresh, they not only wobble during the retrieve, but they jump around a bit, which must be an attractant to pickerel.

You could use a plain hook too, but without weight, the length of your cast would be reduced.

There is nothing wrong with using soft plastics or spinners or fly rods for pickerel either. They do catch well. However, I find that live minnows work the best.

I have a Powerpoint presentation about catching pickerel in tidal waters. If anyone wants a copy of this information, send me your email address.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Thanks Mark. That's the type of habitat I've focused on before. Hopefully I can get out on the water sometime this Holiday weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X