Adventure Fishing World Championship - April 15, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure Fishing World Championship - April 15, 2015

For the third year, Native Watercraft is organizing and sponsoring the Adventure Fishing World Championship (AFWC). This is a new format of kayak fishing that combines: fishing, strategy, navigation and paddling/pedaling resulting in a true adventure. Teams of two anglers compete to reach and catch fish at 4 to 7 eligible checkpoints, in any order,and return to the start/finish before checking at 5PM with the largest total fish length. This is a catch-photo-release redfish, speckled trout, bass, and black drum tournament. Checkpoint locations are secret until start-time and there is no suggested route. Routes will vary between 15-20 miles, and should take 6-9 hours to complete. PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE EXTREME DIFFICULTY OF THIS EVENT.

The 2015 Adventure Fishing World Championship will be held on April 4, 2015 deep in the low country of Louisiana-Delacroix Island. To many, it is considered to be one of the largest estuaries in the world. Filled with redfish, black drum,bass, and trout-this maze of grasslands is the perfect backdrop to test the navigation, angling, and kayaking skills of the competitors. The tournament will be based out of Sweetwater Marina in Delacroix,LA.

Participation is open to any interested persons and to any brand of kayak. I call this to the attention of Snaggedline in case there are some adventuresome and energetic guys who are looking for a major challenge. More information on the 2015 event, as well as descriptions and videos from the 2013 and 2014 events can be found at http://adventurefishingworldchampion...es=og.comments.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

A high school friend has been living in the Baton Rouge area for decades and is recently retired. He and his wife make several trips a year to Delacroix to fish and hangout with the locals. I've seen his pics of good size reds. He also reports that it's a major shrimp and crabbing port year round. Also, he says Delacroix is a kayakers dream. That would be a very tempting trip.

Comment

This sounds very cool ! Gunna have to look into this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I am not planning on entering this event myself. It is a rigorous event held far away in unfamiliar waters. Serious competitors should be in better shape than me. But I think there are some Snaggedline members who enjoy competitive fishing and are energetic and fit. It would be great to see a local team compete in the event.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've never fished LA, so I cannot comment on that fishery, but I can comment on AFWC. I participated in last year's event when it was held in Flamingo, Florida. (Drive south on I-95 until civilization ends, and then drive 40 more miles). This tournament is indeed unlike anything else out there. Be prepared to paddle or pedal a lot, as last year's rules prohibited sails and trolling motors. If you have any questions about the format, intensity, or required preparation, please post or PM me and I'll try to answer them. I'd love to fish this again, but I'm not sure I'll be able to work it into my schedule.
          Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Adventure Fishing World Championship - April 15, 2015

I am currently stationed down here in New Orleans and have fished Delacroix a few times. If anyone has questions they can PM me or ask here or there is a local club down here Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club (www.bckfc.org) that you can always ask questions about the area.

On a side note I can't wait till about April when I will be stationed in Arlington to meet some of ya'll and hit up the CBBT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2012 Hobie Outback[
            COLOR="#008000"]2013 Jackson Cuda 14[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X